• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RaboDirect Pro12: Round 11/12

Oh O'Connor. Why must you try me so?

Did he improve much after his spell with Connacht? I seem to remember some people telling me that he would make it (years ago at this stage), for Ireland nonetheless, even though what limited viewing I ever got of him seemed to suggest otherwise. Just wondering really if he could be a bit of a late bloomer or just a Donald type figure...

Did he improve much after his spell with Connacht? I seem to remember some people telling me that he would make it (years ago at this stage), for Ireland nonetheless, even though what limited viewing I ever got of him seemed to suggest otherwise. Just wondering really if he could be a bit of a late bloomer or just a Donald type figure...

I think when he first came through people expected big things.

Me, I wasn't an Ulster fan then. I do know he was a figure of fun and dread when I became one and people were (jokingly) talking about stationing snipers on the border when we re-signed him. I think he has improved since coming back, but that's not saying much.

I missed a lot of good play typing that! Bloody O'Connor. At least he got a penno...

Lost the momentum and initiative before half time, weeP's brain-fart didn't help.

Not cute enough and NOC not offering enough control to wrestle momentum back.

Unfortunately, from this, it looks like weeP has stepped backward since the start of the year - its rewind to 2010 and brain farts in full swing. On the other hand, Luke Marshall is showing very well (despite dropping off a tackle - against two bound forwards for the 3rd Munster try).

I for one am pleased with the spiteful determination shown to deny Munster their try bonus point. Moral victory.

Slightly annoyed to think what might have happened if Small Paul hadn't decided to stamp on O'Callaghan though.

Finally had another look at the Arsecelt reds, totally deserved and shameful. What the hell was McCusker thinking? For someone that is normally a captain, it is a totally mental and cowardly thing to do.
At least we can removed one from the list of Welsh wing-forward contenders.

I for one am pleased with the spiteful determination shown to deny Munster their try bonus point. Moral victory.

I'm disappointed; I thought that team should be able to do better than that - IMO they underperformed, to a large extent influence by a couple of under-performances in key areas.

I'm disappointed; I thought that team should be able to do better than that - IMO they underperformed, to a large extent influence by a couple of under-performances in key areas.

I thought they could too, but after the period around the PM sinbinning I reset my expectations and they were more than fulfilled. There's a lot of lads who can hold their head up high after that, particularly Luke Marshall, and a lot of lads came off the bench and showed some serious intent. Munster should have had four tries there, but they didn't. Onwards and upwards, this sort of exposure for young players is the making of them. Where would you say the underperformers were? I'd agree with the half-backs, but think you might be about to say the front row, which I'd agree was crucial but was also what I expected. We seriously need Macklin to step up, but that's not going to happen without gametime.

Finally had another look at the Arsecelt reds, totally deserved and shameful. What the hell was McCusker thinking? For someone that is normally a captain, it is a totally mental and cowardly thing to do.
At least we can removed one from the list of Welsh wing-forward contenders.

He shouldn't have been on it in the first place to be fair. I actually think that Bearman is underrated and is better than McCusker or Turnbull. McCusker is pants, he doesn't stand out in any skill department, I don't know why he was called up to the Wales squad ever, never mind the Argentina game where he came off the bench (nearly hurting AWJ's injured arm in the process), and then proceeded to blow a huge overlap. And he certainly isn't an 8, a very poor ball carrier, the Scarlets must stop using him there! In my opinion, if fit and available, all of Lydiate, Warbuton, Faletau, Ryan Jones, Tipuric, Shingler, Delve, Bearman, Pretorius (when eligible) or even Powell should be on the pitch ahead of him. I really hope he doesn't go on the Japan tour.

diapo9bee0d305fbb4b8c56949e0cc203e031.gif
diapob8f6d5657701839d11ce64ddfc8ce126.gif

I saw the replay of the incident, looked like he was trying to climb on Peer's back. Stupid play.

diapo2d63941de6ea2918f818584612effedd.gif

Talking of stupid play ... Rhys Webb not only butchered a probable bonus point try by fumbling the ball running left, he also stupidly stamped on Aled Thomas and has now been cited. Add to Webb twice not putting the ball into the scrum, and that was a god awful cameo.

diapo5abe815cee415e17a09221ced68f84c3.gif

To be fair, McCusker was pretty decent against New Zealand in 2010.

Webb is absolutely terrible. Possibly the worst international scrum half I can remember. Worse than McLeod! I am glad to see referees calling scrum halves for not putting the ball in. For me, they are a massive problem with the whole scrum situation right now.

I suggested Bearman to play in November, not many agreed, but he would have put more heart into the jersey than McCusker and Turnbull.

Lost the momentum and initiative before half time, weeP's brain-fart didn't help.

Unfortunately, from this, it looks like weeP has stepped backward since the start of the year - its rewind to 2010 and brain farts in full swing. On the other hand, Luke Marshall is showing very well (despite dropping off a tackle - against two bound forwards for the 3rd Munster try).

Not really, I think you're being a bit harsh. I didn't watch the last 35, but 24-10 against a strong Munster side, with a second string team (with some 3rd choice players, ie D'arcy, Cochrane, Macklin, potentially McComish?) is a pretty good scoreline. I for one, am quite happy. It wasnt a humiliation which I'm sure a lot of people thought would be.

Who scored our try and was it any good?

Not really, I think you're being a bit harsh. I didn't watch the last 35, but 24-10 against a strong Munster side, with a second string team (with some 3rd choice players, ie D'arcy, Cochrane, Macklin, potentially McComish?) is a pretty good scoreline. I for one, am quite happy. It wasnt a humiliation which I'm sure a lot of people thought would be.

Who scored our try and was it any good?

Ali birch. Good work from heaney to make it.

I thought he looked good when he had the ball, but he really should have done better when tackling O'Mahony, he really did just get blown away. He also missed the tackle that let Keatley make his break before half time, leading to the five-metre scrum and penalty try. Again I thought he should have done better given the situation.

But from what I've seen of him (admittedly not all that much), he's never struck me as a defensive liability, I'd say that he was unfortunate tonight to be caught out twice. But at the same time if it happens again it'd become a worry.

Not making excuses for him but the rain was torrential. The jerseys must have been very greasy and slippy (although I didn't see the tackle so I can't really comment).

I thought he looked good when he had the ball, but he really should have done better when tackling O'Mahony, he really did just get blown away. He also missed the tackle that let Keatley make his break before half time, leading to the five-metre scrum and penalty try. Again I thought he should have done better given the situation.

But from what I've seen of him (admittedly not all that much), he's never struck me as a defensive liability, I'd say that he was unfortunate tonight to be caught out twice. But at the same time if it happens again it'd become a worry.

Probably shoulda done better on pom, but then again pom is a powerful guy who had another back row pushing him through, so I'm not that upset. More annoyed that NOC was stood there and did nothing.

Didn't really see keatleys break that well but thought he was NOCs man too and that skywalker slipped when turning. Might be wrong though.

Where would you say the underperformers were? I'd agree with the half-backs, but think you might be about to say the front row, which I'd agree was crucial but was also what I expected. We seriously need Macklin to step up, but that's not going to happen without gametime.

You have it in a nutshell. The half backs offered us very little stability and control - weeP didn't box kick much which was strange - he'd shovel the ball to NOC (or then on to Skywalker) who would then garryowen... strange.

Macklin needs gametime - I'm not gonna go out of my way to criticise the technique of a man that is still raw at this level - we're gonna have to take the pain of getting him blooded.

I was somewhat disappointed Calum Black didn't cause Botha more problems (I really don't think Botha is all that great), but hey, live and learn.

Disagree on the former, it was poor play from those around him to let Marshall have to stop 2 bound forwards. There should have been Ulstermen spotting the play and pitching in from both sides to effect the tackle.

On the latter, yes, I kinda agree, he did slip, and was let down by his inside man (NOC), but as you say, if it starts to happen again you'd worry...

Having looked again at the Keatley break - difficult, as the camera doesn't really cover things very well - I think its fair to say that Marshall possibly should not have been drifting off Keatley so soon, his inside man was nowhere near him and Keatley is very quick. Difficult to read that quickly when you're playing though, and maybe the call had already gone off to drift? I don't know, he's certainly entitled to expect better from the inside man and if Marshall is fixed by Keatley and leaves Downey to Allen you have a gigantic overlap forming.

Put it this way, I'm not worrying yet.

And I agree with everything else that Amiga said, save that I rate Botha more than him.

Question about the Munster v Ulster match.

At about 4:40 into the game a penalty was called (I think). I couldn't quite here what the referee said about someone doing something 'on purpose', and the announcer said it "was a great call...it's creeping into the game of rugby and rugby does not need it." I just didn't catch what 'it' was.

das