Benetton.png
Versus_RD_Pro12.png
Scarlets.png

Ospreys.png
Versus_RD_Pro12.png
Munster.png

Not according to SF.
They are expecting a try BP win...

In Treviso? Against one of the most formidable packs in the competition Are they fecking mental? They'd do very well to come out of there with a win tbh.

Anyway, looking forward to the Connacht game. Tough place to go, but they're absolutely decimated at the moment with injuries. Here's a list of who they're missing (conveniently stolen from LeinsterFans.ie):

Andrew Browne
Gavin Duffy
Matthew Jarvis
Mark McCrea
John Muldoon
Frank Murphy
Dave Nolan
Paul O'Donoghue
Dan Parks
Danie Poolman
Ethienne Reynecke
Kyle Tonetti

For Connacht especially, that's fairly draining. We're not in great shape either tbh, but we have a bit more depth to rely upon. With Joe's policy to only pick players who have been available all week, we could be without a good few of our internationals, but I'd imagine that may be relaxed with the week that's in it. As far as I'm concerned this is the first of 3 very big games in a row for us. A winning start is essential.

Anyone know what the weather forecast is like for Galway on the weekend?

EDIT: Teams are out:

Leinster:

Rob Kearney, Fergus McFadden, Brendan Macken, Gordon D'Arcy, Isa Nacewa, Ian Madigan, John Cooney Heinke van der Merwe, Thomas Sexton, Jamie Hagan, Quinn Roux, Tom Denton, Ben Marshall, Shane Jennings CAPTAIN, Leo Auva'a, Bench: Sean Cronin, Cian Healy ,Mike Ross, Devin Toner, Jordi Murphy
Luke McGrath, Noel Reid, Fionn Carr

Connacht: Henshaw;O'Halloran,Griffin, McSharry,Vainikolo;Parks,Marmion;Buckle,Flavin,White;Swift,McCarthy;McKeon,JOC,Naoupu

Leinster team much as expected, as in as many of the internationals rested as possible. Good to see Rob back after not having played this season. Cooney will get a chance to make up for a fairly poor performance last week. He's featured in every game thus far this season, so that can't help but do him good. I have fairly high hopes for the lad, so it's nice to see him get some game time, albeit for less than ideal reasons.

The second row is interesting with two new signings in there. Roux wasn't great on his debut, but he showed a lot of enthusiasm, so no doubt he'll come good, or at least better than that useless moron Skyes was. Good to see Ben Marshall getting another run in the backrow. Also, very pleased to see Macken starting at 13. For me, he's got the potential to take the shirt once Brian retires and will be ahead of EOM by in the pecking order by the end of this season.

Connacht not as weak as I though they'd be.

Last edited:
In Treviso? Against one of the most formidable packs in the competition Are they fecking mental? They'd do very well to come out of there with a win tbh.

Anyway, looking forward to the Connacht game. Tough place to go, but they're absolutely decimated at the moment with injuries. Here's a list of who they're missing (conveniently stolen from LeinsterFans.ie):

Andrew Browne
Gavin Duffy
Matthew Jarvis
Mark McCrea
John Muldoon
Frank Murphy
Dave Nolan
Paul O'Donoghue
Dan Parks
Danie Poolman
Ethienne Reynecke
Kyle Tonetti

For Connacht especially, that's fairly draining. We're not in great shape either tbh, but we have a bit more depth to rely upon. With Joe's policy to only pick players who have been available all week, we could be without a good few of our internationals, but I'd imagine that may be relaxed with the week that's in it. As far as I'm concerned this is the first of 3 very big games in a row for us. A winning start is essential.

Anyone know what the weather forecast is like for Galway on the weekend?
The Turks are quite mental.

No clue about Galway weather, probably Force 10 gale.

Not sure I fancy Ulster's chances, they'll be choked with emotion and our team's strong enough but not full bore.

The teams

CARDIFF: (15-9) Fish, Robinson, Hewitt, Roberts, James, Tovey, L Williams (1-8) Trevett, Kyriacou, Filise, B Davies, Down, Copeland, Warburton, Pretorius (c).
Subs: R Williams, Ma'afu, Andrews, Reed, Watts-Jones, Lewis, G Davies, T Williams

(15-9): J Payne; T Bowe, M Allen, D Cave, A Trimble; P Jackson, P Marshall;
(1-8): T Court, N Brady, J Afoa, N McComb, D Tuohy, I Henderson, C Henry (c), N Williams;
Replacements (16-23): R Herring, C Black, A Macklin, L Stevenson , M McComish, M Heaney, P Wallace, C Gilroy

From an Ulster point of view, the points of interest imo are

Centre partnership - Anscombe really likes Allen it seems. A few good performances in a 12 jersey and Cave might add his voice to those clamouring for D'Arcy's jersey, particularly if it includes subduing Roberts
McComb - Has looked useful enough this season, deserves a chance to prove himself
Henderson - Lot of hype

Even though Stevenson's been quite good I'm glad to see Henderson start. Also great to see Bowe return I expect an Ulster win.

Welsh sides could quite easily go 0-4 this weekend.

Could also go 4-0. All games are winnable imo. Blues showed last week that the Treviso pack doesn't always fire, and I think the Scarlets backs will be licking their lips against what is an ordinary Treviso backline.

The Dragons are stronger at home, and they'll be targeting this as a must win game.

The Blues were much improved last week up front, but I still have serious doubts about their scrummaging. Ulster have a strong scrummaging unit, so I think they'll be tested. Emotional game for Ulster, if it was against a non-welsh team I'd be rooting for them. Nice to see Tovey getting a start.

The Ospreys showed last season that they can beat Munster well, but they aren't going well this season. Another loss at home is unthinkable to them I think, and they'll go all out for the win. That might mean grinding out a result like they did last week at Parc Y Scarlets.

Even though Stevenson's been quite good I'm glad to see Henderson start. Also great to see Bowe return I expect an Ulster win.

McComb's the beneficiary from Stevenson being rested, not Henderson. It's McComish losing out to him.

McComb's the beneficiary from Stevenson being rested, not Henderson. It's McComish losing out to him.

Oh yeah didn't read that right ah well still hope he goes well. Would prefer him at lock though.

Could also go 4-0. All games are winnable imo. Blues showed last week that the Treviso pack doesn't always fire, and I think the Scarlets backs will be licking their lips against what is an ordinary Treviso backline.

The Dragons are stronger at home, and they'll be targeting this as a must win game.

The Blues were much improved last week up front, but I still have serious doubts about their scrummaging. Ulster have a strong scrummaging unit, so I think they'll be tested. Emotional game for Ulster, if it was against a non-welsh team I'd be rooting for them. Nice to see Tovey getting a start.

The Ospreys showed last season that they can beat Munster well, but they aren't going well this season. Another loss at home is unthinkable to them I think, and they'll go all out for the win. That might mean grinding out a result like they did last week at Parc Y Scarlets.

All good points and I do agree with them

Treviso are probably the side in the league who home advantage makes most difference to. Away they are poor, and are a side who you feel can concede a try at any time. But at home are normally more reliable and consistent.

Last week they selected their reserve props. If they select Michele Rizzo and Lorenzo Cittadini they should be a tougher test for the Scarlets front row.

The Blues did surprisingly well at scrums last week (first time they haven't been hammered in the front row for quite a while, even Scarlets scored a penalty try against them last season). However this week's match will give a good indication as to how much Benoit Bourrust had to do with that, this week they have selected Filise.

Oh yeah didn't read that right ah well still hope he goes well. Would prefer him at lock though.

Ah, the argument de jour.

I'm just happy for him to play - lock, 6, 8, wing, where ever. Ok, maybe not wing. The important thing for him is to gain the lessons and experience that come only from playing at this level and the important thing for Ulster is to get a talent like him on the pitch. The nuances of positional play and where his attributes are best suited to - that's somewhat tomorrow's question. Although I can't help but notice that Ireland fans around the net look on him as a lock, while Ulster fans seem somewhat split which is probably mainly down to Ireland looking secure in the back-row but thin at lock going forwards, while Ulster are doing ok in both areas and have an ingrained worry about Ferris missing most of the season. Oh, and Ireland fans remembering the bewilderingly slow career progression of Ryan. People are seeing him through the lens of what they need possibly more than what he is.

Incidentally, I saw someone say his 10m/30m split times are comparable to Ferris. The boy's an absolute mutant if that's true.

Treviso are probably the side in the league who home advantage makes most difference to. Away they are poor, and are a side who you feel can concede a try at any time. But at home are normally more reliable and consistent.

Last week they selected their reserve props. If they select Michele Rizzo and Lorenzo Cittadini they should be a tougher test for the Scarlets front row.

The Blues did surprisingly well at scrums last week (first time they haven't been hammered in the front row for quite a while, even Scarlets scored a penalty try against them last season). However this week's match will give a good indication as to how much Benoit Bourrust had to do with that, this week they have selected Filise.

Certainly agree with that. Still think the Scarlets will win though.

Felise is a very poor player nowadays. I can see them having a very tough time in the scrums while he's on the pitch. A little surprised that they haven't selected the same Navidi and Warburton combination this week, it really went well last week. Copeland and Pretorius should add a little more go-forward though. Also, hooray no Gavin Evans to be seen anywhere (waits for last minute injury to Hewitt, and Evans drafted straight into the starting lineup).

I'm just happy for him to play - lock, 6, 8, wing, where ever. Ok, maybe not wing. The important thing for him is to gain the lessons and experience that come only from playing at this level and the important thing for Ulster is to get a talent like him on the pitch. The nuances of positional play and where his attributes are best suited to - that's somewhat tomorrow's question. Although I can't help but notice that Ireland fans around the net look on him as a lock, while Ulster fans seem somewhat split which is probably mainly down to Ireland looking secure in the back-row but thin at lock going forwards, while Ulster are doing ok in both areas and have an ingrained worry about Ferris missing most of the season. Oh, and Ireland fans remembering the bewilderingly slow career progression of Ryan. People are seeing him through the lens of what they need possibly more than what he is.

Incidentally, I saw someone say his 10m/30m split times are comparable to Ferris. The boy's an absolute mutant if that's true.

Wouldn't surprise me. Remember his try vs Munster? Looked ridiculously like a slightly stretched Ferris.

I have no problem with him at 6. Personally I think with Ferris likely to have a shortened career, it's no harm to develop another player. And in any case, when Ireland eventually lose POC for good, having a 6 who is a good lineout operator will be very useful.

Dont see this game being close at all. Its goes one of two ways.

1. Ulster come out so fired up and absolutely walk all over Cardiff

or

2. Ulster come out too fired up with emotion, choke and Cardiff put 20/30 points on us.

Dont see any inbetweens in this one.

Anyone else interested by the Nathan White being given the role of captain? He is obviously highly rated in the west and to be fair he's a great player.

Good to see Rob back and hopefully he kicks off from last year. Eyes will also be on Cooney and Marshall to see if either, of both can live up to promising starts to the season. I expect a Leinster win, but I don't predict a try fest.

The Ulster squad looks pretty good. I like the centre combination and the back three have quality that matches anyone else in the league and arguably throughout Europe. Got to feel a little bit sorry for Gilroy though! Great to see Henderson and McComb in there aswell.

I really hope the Scarlets play some ambitious rugby in the backs this weekend. That's the only way they can win, because the scrum isn't too good, and Priestland's been garbage on the tee.
Protip: when there's a penalty on the touchline, and your lineout is dominating, go for touch and the try. Don't take the risky kick.

Ulster 10-9 up, playing some great running rugby. Cardiff scrum is under pressure here, no surprises there.