• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Race wins will decide F1 ***le

B

Bullitt

Race wins will decide F1 ***le

FORMULA ONE : This year's Formula One ***le will go to the driver who wins the most races rather than the most points, the sport's governing body confirmed today. McLaren's Lewis Hamilton won last year's ***le despite winning fewer races than Ferrari's Felipe Massa.

The International Automobile Federation (FIA) said in a statement that its world motor sport council had rejected a proposal by the teams to change the scoring system to reward race winners.

Instead the council has accepted a proposal from Formula One Management to award the drivers' championship to the driver who has won the most races during the season.

"If two or more drivers finish the season with the same number of wins, the ***le will be awarded to the driver with the most points," the FIA said.

The allocation of points will remain the same as last year's 10-8-6-5-4-3-2-1 sequence.

The rest of the standings, from second to last place, will also be decided by the current points system with the constructors' championship unaffected.

The FIA ruled out awarding Olympic-style medals, as advocated by Formula One's commercial supremo Bernie Ecclestone who had wanted the ***le to go to the driver with the most golds.

Too little too late for Masa though. He'll probably go and do the opposite of last season and get doubly screwed.

He was never screwed last season, he just didn't score enough points. If anything, the *cough* 'dramatic finish' was poetic justice for the *cough* "mysterious engine fault" on Hamiltons car the previous season.

Still, this seems quite a fair system O/A.

yeah it was all part of a masterplan conspiracy theory on the part of Ferrari.

Totally rubbish system, the champion should be awarded on consistency as well as race wins.

However it shouldnt matter this season as Mclaren wont challenge for the ***le mark my words :)

This is a stupid idea, if they want the champion to be the one with the most wins, why not just give 15 for a win, 10 for second or something like that?

I can imagine in Brazil/Dubai (wherever the last race is!) that someone will have 2 wins in hand, and just not show up at all, all weekend! How would Bernie like me now? Bernie still wouldn't have the World Drivers Champion on the podium (which is the only reason he created this rule!).

It won't create any more overtaking than before, there will only be more overtaking because of the new designs, new design rules. If anything, this gives all the drivers except Hamilton, Massa, Alonso and Raikonnen even less incentive to race!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ma04hew @ Mar 19 2009, 08:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
This is a stupid idea, if they want the champion to be the one with the most wins, why not just give 15 for a win, 10 for second or something like that?

I can imagine in Brazil/Dubai (wherever the last race is!) that someone will have 2 wins in hand, and just not show up at all, all weekend! How would Bernie like me now? Bernie still wouldn't have the World Drivers Champion on the podium (which is the only reason he created this rule!).

It won't create any more overtaking than before, there will only be more overtaking because of the new designs, new design rules. If anything, this gives all the drivers except Hamilton, Massa, Alonso and Raikonnen even less incentive to race![/b]
I agree completely. It seems boring and will probably take away most of my interest from F1. I can't see what was wrong with the great last lap thriller that we had last year.

they're saying on the BBC that the new system is going to be deferred until next year following protests from the teams since it was anounced. Bit farcical really but that's par for the course with F1.

Good thing it has been delayed until next year really because it gives more time for the teams to reject the stupid idea, and maybe give Fecclestone a chance to see that his idea is stupid and stop the wheels rolling on this idea, and bury it forever!

If you wanna see overtaking in a race, then you got to make a race of it. F1 seems half fixed to me in the podium places. I think the drivers should be awarded points for the qualifying result, as well as the actual race result.. as the qualifying is almost as important. Obviously, you get points for finishing in certain positions, but what about points for creative driving?

You could get points for sporting behaviour, overtaking and other racing skills, like if you was to come from 15th on the starting grid to finish 3rd, you'd get a multiplier bonus to recognise your achievement. If you knew you'd get more points for coming from the back of the grid, then as long as you got points for qualifying, then there wouldn't be any fixing of the better drivers not giving a top qualifying lap to come from behind to score more points.

If there was a tie for the ***le, then race wins would decide it, rather like away goals in footie.

Latest posts