• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RBS 6 Nations - England vs Ireland - 17/03/2012 - 17:00

Just heard the news about Fabrice Muamba at the Bolton match put's things in perspective. Off topic but reminds me that things are just a game and other things more important.

A number of Lions prospects, some of the best club rugby in Europe. Serious question what's gone wrong? I can't see players being out as an excuse. Keith Wood blaming lack of talent in numbers, 10 non Irish props in the regions.

Terrible coaching system in the national side IMO terribly unimaginative and conservative tactics. Unlike England we don't pick on form e.g. ToO'L and not Marshall and we do have a lack of depth in key positions such as having only one international quality tighthead. Today is making us seem worse than we've been but still we're underpreforming in comparison. A new good coach could help galvanise us and hopefully the much talked about new foreign player rules thing actually works.

We actually have some decent props on the production line but unfortunately they're either too young or simply aren't getting the game time. We have a problem throughout our system where not enough time is spent on scrummaging it's only started changing in the provinces in the last 2 years or so but at schools level where most players come from most don't spend enough time on it. For example with my school senior squad we only did about 2 scrummaging sessions in the whole season and that's merely hitting a scrum machine foe 20 minutes barely anything on actual technique and no live scrummaging.

I think if we're all honest with ourselves this was the worst game anyone's eyes have ever been subjected to. For English fans it was saved only by the last half hour. I don't think I have ever seen so many 'unforced' errors. I use ' ' marks because the rain did somewhat force them, but Ireland made so many more of these than England.

The scrum was literally ridiculous. Maybe now people can stop talking about that one scrum last year in the six nations.

Ireland are still a good team, but Kidney needs to **** off.

You keep saying this but it wasn't one scrum it was the majority of them in that match. But England obviously scrumming bragging rights for the next year. I've decide I have to make it pro now just to smash the English scrum because of this game. Watch this space.;)

idk about it being your worst performance. The scrum was the only significant difference between the teams (if there was parity, it would have been a very close game), and that's fairly rectifiable in the near future.

Sorry to clarify I meant on results it's actually on results our worst championship.

Irish are better than this. And what the hell was that scrum pack ?!
This 6N happened the worst possible way I think for me lol, France is 4th for the first time since 2001, the Irish who were super promising during day 1 against Wales (coming back from a good RWC) lost that very game incredibly foolishly and just had the most terrible performance in years...

Congratulations to England for that 2nd place.
Beating Italy and Scotland very unconvincingly would have led me to think they'd lose for sure against France and Ireland...oh well...I was wrong obviously.
They're now an impressive side...they found themselves DURING this tournament; I don't think even they thought they'd get 4 out of 5.

I've eaten half a tub of B&J (bit girly I know) and watched an epsiode of Modern Family feel a bit better now.

Does anyone know who won the Leinster Schools Final today haven't been able to find out.

what did the rte panel have to say about the game? cant get rte over here

Just heard the news about Fabrice Muamba at the Bolton match put's things in perspective. Off topic but reminds me that things are just a game and other things more important.

Muamba reported as STABLE in hospital, off topic but still good to hear.

England a virtual scratch team 6 weeks ago, new coach new focus new work ethic: result - 4 wins out of 5, and a very creditable performance (in a loss) against the deserving Grand Slam champions
all in all I am delighted with England, they were a shambles in the RWC and to play this well with virtually no preparation bodes well IMO.
The wins against Scotland & italy may have been narrow ones but were never really in doubt (we even gifted it Italy 2 tries to make a game of it!). Turning France over 3 tries to 1 in Paris was excellent and to finish by thumping Ireland and totally battering their scrum at twickenham made this 6 Nations a thoroughly satisfying one
Now will the RFU give Lancaster the job? That is the real question this success has raised.
I'm not sure they will do, given the reported requirement for "international experience". We have got burned with the last 3 England coach/managers, Robinson was awful, Ashton was anonymous and Johnson hadn't got a clue. Will they let another relatively inexperienced guy take charge?

Thinking about Morgan in a Glos shirt. :D

Good result, but still have worries about England. Not much tinkering needed in the forwards (could do with introducing a 7, and the bench needs sorting out and Lawes back will be a result), but still unconvinced by England's back play in this tournament. Don't like that Farrell automatically looks to kick the ball every time he receives it. We've kicked more possession away than any other team, and when you've got Tuilagi and Foden hanging around behind you (and in the future, flair players like Wade and Sharples), why would you do that? Farrell is going to keep the shirt for a while, but I'd still love to see Burns given a go at some point and see what we can do with a flatter, more attacking backline - maybe off the bench in the summer.
They are only keeping the 10 shirt warm for the genius that is George Thomas Ford!

What's going on with Ireland? Losing three times in a row to Wales, losing twice in a row to England. Is this a blip or are we seeing the end of the golden age and a return to the bottom of the table mediocrity of the 90s?

oh and we all owe keith earls an apology :p did well in each game and dealt with tuilagi today

Last edited:
According to twitter it was Hartley on either Healy or Ferris - probably the two people you'd least want to pick a fight with, in the Irish squad :p
Though that's just twitter rumours, we'll see if anything comes from it via the citing commission people.

It was a bite according to the RTE with a citing expected to follow.

Considering I knew people who were saying England were going to get the wooden spoon (Scrum V Welsh morons), this has been quite a turnout. I am pretty happy with this side considering the circumstances under which they entered this 6 nations. It has not been pretty or entirely convincing but as a start for a fresh team with a fresh coash, it is about as good as you could hope for. Definitely something to build on.

Considering I knew people who were saying England were going to get the wooden spoon (Scrum V Welsh morons), this has been quite a turnout. I am pretty happy with this side considering the circumstances under which they entered this 6 nations. It has not been pretty or entirely convincing but as a start for a fresh team with a fresh coash, it is about as good as you could hope for. Definitely something to build on.

Please quote where they said that because they clearly didn't. I'm not surprised by how England developed throughout the 6 Nations. Got some good players, Ben Morgan especially. Lancaster must be the man England select because he's started something with England might as well let him finish it.

Also ... Irish scrum was appalling. Healy and Court were dire and Healy has some work to do to improve his game.

Last edited:

Latest posts