• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Recent Salary cap stories...

What's the deal with Craig "stepping down" from his role in the PRL?
Voted out due to cheating, but given the opportunity to jump before he's pushed?

I hope the proceedings do go ahead and the appropriate punishments and fines are doled out.

I hope those who are guilty get the maximum punishment allowed. Even if that includes Saints.

If the use of a blood capsule to allow a single player on to the pitch for part of a game brought a multiple year ban than fielding a full squad that was outside the cap should be a lifetime ban. Assuming it can be proved to be deliberate. Although i cant see how you could accidentally spend 1Million quid accidentally.

How can anything happen when ALL teams have to agree? Tosh!!!

Problem is you have multi-millionaire businessmen running the clubs.

Restraint of trade usually doesn't apply regarding rules of a competition, however I think when this amount of money is involved it changes some what...

As a Bath supporter I find it hard to believe that we are under the cap, while others have far less big name players. It could be I suppose that those other clubs are just spending well below their means... Who knows though we all strongly suspect!

The money men will have these extra payments buried under so many layers of paper, it would mean the PRL would have to hire an army of lawyers and still probably never get near the truth.

PRL probably accept this and don't want to drag their product through the mud for the next few years...

Reality is that this was all going to happen when the game turned professional. I remember the same rumblings when the game was still amateur yet players were without being remunerated some how...

Fissler saying that 2 clubs (basically Bath and Saracens) he says 1 London and 1 West Country club are to fined and have a points deduction due to cap breaching.

Last edited:
Will be interesting to see how many points - it's up to 40 isn't it?

It's fine lads, it was all a bit of a misunderstanding. The investigation has "resolved the issues identified & have entered into appropriate confidential settlements." To fix this little - minor, some would say - issue, the salary cap is rising to 6.5m next season and 7m the season after.

See, as a Bath fan with absolutely no vested interest, it was all a little storm in a tea cup wasn't it!? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

As a fellow Bath but rugby lover I am relieved but disappointed.

Pleased that cap has gone up but timing will leave rather a bad taste in the mouth...

So the Premiership should match the Top 14 by 2017. Our current salary cap is E10m and is supposed to stay so until 2019, £7m would be E9.7m, so more or less the same. Hopefully that'll take away some foreign players from the Top 14 to the Premiership.

Why the need to increase a cap that is unenforceable anyway??

As I mentioned in the other thread would rather have cap reductions on academy products.

For Leicester let's say we could have cap reductions on players like
Brugnara
Thacker
Youngs
Balmain
Cole
Tiz
Croft
Youngs
Harrison
Catchpole
Manu
Smith

Whole thing is a joke.
Where are the points deductions that were spoken of?

If you've got the cash to bribe/influence to intimidate the men at the top then the rules don't apply to you.

The other 10 clubs should call a vote of no confidence in the people in charge of the PRL/AP/whoever, and get people in who will enforce the rules.

Looks to me like the cap beating salaries were financed by players/players' wives being contracted to commercial interests with an interest (shareholder/sponsor) in the clubs.

This, having been an open secret for yonks, has been settled with a fine (otherwise known as a settlement) and the clubs involved getting away with cheating!!

Whitewash of the highest nature!!

This is all just a depressing mess, capped off by an insulting statement by Premiership Rugby.

What on Earth is there to come to a confidential agreement on if Premiership Rugby can say in no uncertain terms that no team has broken the salary cap?

How is it possible to come to differing opinions on whether or not a team broke the cap? Either you break the cap or you don't break the cap, it is as black-and-white an issue as they come.

If the outcome is so clear cut, why are talks being done so privately? Why are people being restricted from spilling the beans?

Why are we increasing the cap to £7m so fast and how is this cost not going to be pushed onto the fans? Why are teams breaking the cap being rewarded with a massively expanded cap?

Assuming teams did break the salary cap, and other teams are turning a blind eye for monetary compensation, then how is this fair on the fans? The Premiership advertises itself as having a salary cap and fans pay money to attend games with this knowledge. Therefore, there is a moral obligation for the salary cap to be adhered to and policed, otherwise fans are being deceived. I am not sure if this would be legally fraudulent or only morally fraudulent, but either way, there is an issue here.

I'm going to see how this pans out for now, but I'm in half a mind to quit watching the Premiership. I loved watching the competition before all this came out, but now knowing how rotten to the core it is and the direction things are going in, it's going to be hard to resist just giving up on it.

Worst of all, along with England's exit from the home WC, and the lack of neutrality in the RFU's England review, this could have an extremely damaging effect on any kind of legacy that the World Cup was supposed to have.

Last edited:
What a joke. As a Bath fan, I still feel the salary cap should be strongly enforced IF you are going to have it. I like the idea of players who came through the academy not counting towards the cap so much though.

It would definitely benefit us
-George,Kruis,Fraser,Wray,Itoje,Slurping,Hankin,Spencer,Farrell,Goode,Ransom
4 current int, A couple of close guys and a future Eng Captain.

Latest posts