• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Refereeing jibe of the day

R

RoyalBlueStuey

Fans will always think they are getting a tough time from the ref...after a string of penalties and decisions going in favour of the visitors the official's arm finally went up in the direction of the home player...cue ironic cheers and one Scouser piping with "Oh, Well done ref...I bet that's not all you use your right hand for eh" to the amusement of fans, players and officials alike.

Oh... poor ref.. That is the best thing about refereeing though.. You can get massive bollockings from the fans, players or coaches alike... If you're a **** ref tht is..
The funniest thing that has happened to me when I was refereeing must be when a coach ran on to the field protesting my decision... the coach was proven wrong afterwards, sent to the disciplinary...

Oh... poor ref.. That is the best thing about refereeing though.. You can get massive bollockings from the fans, players or coaches alike... If you're a **** ref tht is..
The funniest thing that has happened to me when I was refereeing must be when a coach ran on to the field protesting my decision... the coach was proven wrong afterwards, sent to the disciplinary...
[/b]

The coach was wrong no matter what...even if your decision was a load of rubbish the players and coaches have to respect it.

The fans are free to indulge in a bit of banter though! ;)

It's never nasty at Waterloo though, just Scousers doing what they do. Last season this Harrogate player got into a strop with the ref and kicked a water bottle along the touchline cue 500 people on the terrace in front of him going "oooooooooooooooooooh!" in unison.

That's why I love being on the pitch as the man in control... The biggest game I've had was a semifinal.. and it was a really good game eh.. went into extra time and a last minute try gave away the win! the crowd's reaction to my refereeing was monumental! a lot of AAHH!!!, OOOH!!!, ofcourse the "THanks REF! sarcastically.."

Referees are either the people i love to hate, or those whom i love to respect for doing such a good job.
It's either one extreme or the other:

Hate: -

David Changleng - idiotic referee...shouldn't even be allowed to referee a computer game.

Love: -

Tony Spreadbury - the man is clear, concise, and consistent. He also loves having a laugh on the field. What more could you want from a referee?

are you freaking kiding me!? David Changleng??? he's alright man... you cannot hate a referee!

Ok, hate is a harsh word.

But i really, really, really don't like him. Not so much him, because i don't know the man.
I despise his incompetence.

But i really, really, really don't like him. Not so much him, because i don't know the man.
[/b]

Well, you do know that Referees nowadays are under constant pedantic watchful eye of the Union / board.. David may not be a good referee for some, may be excellent to others, but the fact that he's refereed games at such high level is a great achievement in its own right...

on another note..
I remembered seeing David and his twin brother, one was reffing and the other touch judging... I rubbed my eyes a few times, I thought the heineken was starting to affect my sight!!!

<div class='quotemain'>

[/b]

Well, you do know that Referees nowadays are under constant pedantic watchful eye of the Union / board.. David may not be a good referee for some, may be excellent to others, but the fact that he's refereed games at such high level is a great achievement in its own right...

on another note..
I remembered seeing David and his twin brother, one was reffing and the other touch judging... I rubbed my eyes a few times, I thought the heineken was starting to affect my sight!!!
[/b][/quote]

lol good one! :lol2tn:

David Changleng isnt the worse, Iv refed a game where one of the touch judges kept telling me i was wrong every time I gave a decision to a certain team, just before half time I sent him off for pestering. Replaced him. The crowed can realy put you off sometimes if you dont spot something, but its not your fault you cant or didnt see it!

I always thought Changlang was a decent ref. Nice guy though, met him a couple times.

Worst ref, well any of the Welsh or Irish refs. The decent referees seem to have been from England or from the SH (with the exception of Steve Walsh...knob).

I shall use that line at least once on Sunday.

Love: -

Tony Spreadbury - the man is clear, concise, and consistent. He also loves having a laugh on the field. What more could you want from a referee? [/b]

:blink:

I always thought Changlang was a decent ref. Nice guy though, met him a couple times.

Worst ref, well any of the Welsh or Irish refs. The decent referees seem to have been from England or from the SH (with the exception of Steve Walsh...knob).
[/b]

That'a coincidence.
You like the Scottish ref, but not the Welsh or Irish.
Hmm...

[/b]

You see, your a hypacrite (**** i spelled that wrong lol).
Already you dont like Irish or Welsh refs... showing you couldnt posibly be a ref yourself because you would obviously have a biast view of things. Anyway, Whats wrong with irish refs? Iv never had a problem with them and im here a very long time...

You cannot generalise referees... I tell you there are GOOD refs from all around the world, and there are **** ones al around the world as well... It is the same with players and any other thing in the world... :p

You cannot generalise referees... I tell you there are GOOD refs from all around the world, and there are **** ones al around the world as well... It is the same with players and any other thing in the world... :p
[/b]

For example:

David Changleng?

<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

For example:

David Changleng?
[/b][/quote]

Not in my book he isn't... I'm telling you something here... you HAVEN'T seen a bad referee...

I'll give you an example of how bad a referee can be:
ARFU(Asian Rugby Football Union) U-19s Championship - Kauhsiung, Taiwan - Dec 07

Philipines vs Guam:
50 penalties - 10 yellow cards...

Imagine how **** the game would be...
Refereeing isn't all about adhering to the law, it is also about letting the game flow well and make it a game enjoyable to watch and play...

I'm talking about the Celtic League refs. The Irish guy with the grey hair, Freeland is it? Is a good ref, consistant and lets the game flow and there's a Welsh ref who I can't remeber who has been OK - missed things but been consistant I've been at every Edinburgh ML game for the past 2 years, with the exception of a couple of refs they have generally been of a very poor standard and it doesn't take a genuis to work out most of these refs have been Irish or Welsh. Yes, I probably will make generalisations, but on the whole the worst refs I've encountered have come from those areas.

Scottish refs are pretty poor, but I would say Changlang is probably one of the better refs. There are some absolute stinkers, and we always seem to get lumped with them at u18 and 2nd XV levels. I'm not saying Scotland's refs are any good cause I know they're not. In about 20 games this year, we have had 1 decent ref and the Premier 1 refs aren't much better either.

I'm talking about the Celtic League refs. The Irish guy with the grey hair, Freeland is it? Is a good ref, consistant and lets the game flow and there's a Welsh ref who I can't remeber who has been OK - missed things but been consistant I've been at every Edinburgh ML game for the past 2 years, with the exception of a couple of refs they have generally been of a very poor standard and it doesn't take a genuis to work out most of these refs have been Irish or Welsh. Yes, I probably will make generalisations, but on the whole the worst refs I've encountered have come from those areas.
[/b]
Alan Lewis?

Probably Nigel Owens

I too like both those refs, and also Chris White (despite the débacle that went on at the Stadio Flaminio) and Tony Spreadbury. Kelvin Deaker is a bit of a twat, as is Steve Walsh.

Latest posts