• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Round 4: Crusaders v Blues

• Thread starter THE CHIROPRACTOR101
  • Start date
my take on the game...

*the ref was crap.

*why the hell did he send joe rock to the bin? McCaw does that **** at every breakdown. not to mention we didnt even get to see why ali williams was sent to the cooler either.

*McCaw's 1st try was also crap. i wasnt aware that the video ref had x-ray vision to see through the tacklers.

*lavea and tipoki are the worst 10-12 combo ever.
McCalister, Atiga and Tuitavake should be the combo.

the only positive i could really see was troy flavell. he was outstanding. he absolutely killed them in defence and took the ball up strongly. i thing jerry collins really needs to look over his shoulder because if flav keeps this up hes going to force one of the wellington boys onto the bench.

well your *****ing about mccaws try which was pretty damn obvious that it had been scored...but what about hamiltons disallowed try after about 15-20 mins when ref said there was a crusader knock on when it was clearly off senios boot and should have been a try.

Blues suck mate. Build a bridge and get over that fact.

Originally posted by shiznit@Mar 5 2006, 09:27 PM

the only positive i could really see was troy flavell. he was outstanding. he absolutely killed them in defence and took the ball up strongly. i thing jerry collins really needs to look over his shoulder because if flav keeps this up hes going to force one of the wellington boys onto the bench.
agreed to an extent...flavell is an awesome player

and now we can all see the urgancy in his eyes...he has discipline...he has everything to become the brutal athlete he is but lacks the control to become and greater player...

that being said..jerry collins?...no way in the world is jerry second to him..

i read an article in the herald by wynne gray which made the most perfect sense

8.jerry collins
7.richie mccaw
6.troy flavell

look at our number 8s...all squallbling about with no real solidity..lauaki,tuialii,sooialo..all have the potential but jerry collins has been there before..he is a trusted member now in the abs...he is capable of handling his agression and thats something troy is doin now...

look now...jerry collins is a classic nz number 8..he has leadership qualities,his game demands respect from team mates and opposing teams,world class skillset and a world class player

now look back at zinny and buck..they had the heart,the brains and the kick ass slamathon rugby style...jerrys got that

flavell is a step down...but in the right direction

The Crusaders running lines in the backs does not look good at the moment. No one is cutting in or straightening up the way they used to last year. They really missed Mauger as I actually thought that McIntyre would be good at 12....but he wasn't really.

They may get a nasty surprise soon when they come against a tough defence like the Brumbies who can read that spin it to the wing style so easily.

The worrying thing for other teams is that the Crusaders are still figuring out what they are doing while they are winning. They beat the Blues by 29 points with ugly rugby and after the Blues had their tails up early!!!!!

I can still see the Crusaders about to drop a couple of games mid season while they perfect and settle on a game plan for this years comp. That is the beauty of their brains trust. They check out what everyone else has brought this year to the party. Then they go back and redo themselves accordingly. Most of the other teams have a preset game plan BEFORE the start of the comp and do not have the ability to do a major overhaul in a short space of time if their plan is flawed. Even a game plan as perfect as the Brumbies (cos their style is lol!) can be beaten by a team that adjusts to attack their weak points while deflecting any focus on their own.

Last year the Crusaders did not focus on their famed defence but played hard out attack. After their embaressing defeat to the Blues (yes thats right....last year) they added more kicking into their arsenal particularly short kicks to counter that solid wall the Blues had chucked up in front of them. It won them a premiership and even in the final Mr Hewat the intercept king still did not adjust for this and was going in vain trying to intercept passes that were never going to his wing. He and the Waratahs coaching staff reflected how slow the rest of the S12 teams were by ignoring the Crusaders tendency to grubber. The Crusaders adjusted their game plan one third into the season to allow for the cyclic (as Gregan said lol!) change in the competition. The other teams either didn't , were not capable of, too confident in their original plan, or just too stupid to adjust for the Crusaders new style....even though it was on display week after week.

When the Crusaders beat the Brumbies in the final of 2000 (the night I sold my soul) it was not because they were the better team. The Brumbies were far and away the better team in the comp...daylight between them and everyone else. The Crusaders won because the Brumbies game plan was so obvious and well documented and those ACT men were so cocky in thinking it was invincible. The Crusaders in that game became so confident that the Brumbies did not have a plan b that after a while Merhtens became the SOLE person at the back waiting for kicks while the opther 14 made the defensive line. The Brumbies with all their good punters had become conditioned NOT to kick but to trust that qwith their massive possession stake they should by all means penetrate...and by the time they realised they should kick they had not organised themselves into a defensive line enough to have a good kick chase before the game let alone during it.

In fairness to the Brumbies this arroganmce is a virus that affects talented teams. All Black arrogance has cost us too many RWC's.

Originally posted by Boomslangnz@Mar 5 2006, 09:51 PM
well your *****ing about mccaws try which was pretty damn obvious that it had been scored...but what about hamiltons disallowed try after about 15-20 mins when ref said there was a crusader knock on when it was clearly off senios boot and should have been a try.

Blues suck mate. Build a bridge and get over that fact.
your superman are you? how is that obvious? for all we know he could have lost the ball. you cannot give a try if you cant see the ball being grounded.

i take your point about hamiltons try. that was definately a try. shows how crap the ref was.

it doesnt change the fact that joe roc should never have been sent to the bin. that was at a crucial point in the game which probably wouldnt have affected the result of the game but the score wouldnt have blown out

i was shocked to see them give mccaws try, and that rocco got sent to the bin.

but i thought auckland played alright for the first half and then dropped off. they scored the first 10 points and didnt score again in the match there is something wrong with the team as a whole, you cant blame one or two players. there are 15 on the field, and didnt look like they were working much as a unit.

i agree alot with what gg said :) good stuff to you :)

the backs were pretty terrible. the forwards for mine were actually pretty good. the line-out is certainly a concern but the scrum was very good. we need to sort out our inside backs because we really strugle to get the ball to the wingers. i might change my mind on the backline now. i think i will go for McCalister, Tipoki & Tuitavake. give the harbour boys ago. we certainly cant do any worse.

Originally posted by woosaah@Mar 6 2006, 11:52 AM
i was shocked to see them give mccaws try, and that rocco got sent to the bin.

but i thought auckland played alright for the first half and then dropped off. they scored the first 10 points and didnt score again in the match there is something wrong with the team as a whole, you cant blame one or two players. there are 15 on the field, and didnt look like they were working much as a unit.

i agree alot with what gg said :) good stuff to you :)
Yes we can.

Lavea is holding this team back.

If we had McAlister at fly half, I would be about 60% sure we wouldve won this game. Tuitavakie must be getting pissy, if we had a fly half who wasn't as **** as Leon McDonald he would already have the AB centre jersey all sealed since Smith broke his legs.

And Flavell has been on fire... anyone see the Dominion Post? They had Ruben Thorne ahead of him in the team of the week...

Although I question the point of this list when it also says "Who we want to see in the Black Jersey" and it has Fa'atau in it... even my Grandma knows that he can't play for the All Blacks, and she's been dead 12 years.

Tuitavake won't be in the AB team for a while because AB selectors when looking for soemone to fill Tana's shoes will be looking for a defensive coordinator. Tuitavake has been shown up a few times on defence in his career...maybe a bit too much for the selectors liking. Nonu also has the same problem defensively.

Took years to replace Frank Bunce,,,and when Umaga finally established himself it was time to retire. Now it may take years to replace Umaga as at the moment there is no one who is known as a midfield defemsive rock in all the NZ franchises.

Tuitupou is good on defence but he cannot pass or grubber for his outsides the way a real centre can. Laulala has been found to miss a few tackles as has Caleb Ralph.

Really our best chances for an all Black centre lie in two players at the moment.
The Chiefs Mils Muliaiina and Rico Gear. A good distributor of the ball Mils has all the goods on attack. His only flaw is the ability to smash any players trying the crash ball. Rico Gear though has a more punishing tackle and can also pass the ball and grubber effectively. Yet he still needs to show himself to be available the way Mortlock does with his workrate. The step from winger to centre is almost like re-learning how to play rugby....Tana took years to get the hang of it.

So I think for the Crusaders putting Ralph at centre ahead of Gear is not the best thing to do for the Crusaders or the All Blacks.

millsy should stay at full back. reason being: whos going to fill his shoes? leon sucks. ward hasnt had game time. i suspect that new kid (whos name i have forgotten, the 20min of npc turned ab guy) has not yet developed into a 1st class player, and would only be even in contention come world cup year, when it will be too late.

nonu will be our 13, and will be until smith comes back. hes got the attacking skills of tana, and i mean, hes not awful at defence. (remember when he tackled that streaker?)

how longs mcallister out? i would like to see what would happen if we had a inside paring of carter and mcalliser...

Mils should stay at Fullback, like Sambad said due to lack of replacements. Anybody who says Leon McDonald is good enough are going to get a visit from me and Sambad (I'm looking at you Woosaah). Although I must admit Toeava has looked preety flash so far. If Tipoki wasn't so old he could be in with a sniff for the centre spot in my opinion.

Rico Gear is the Number One wing at the moment in the NZ - Therefore the world so once again, whats the point at moving him to centre? the last thing we need is the same sort of debacle we had with Cullen at the 99 World Cup

Nonu IMO should be used as an impact player at International Level, I just don't see him as an 80 minute guy in the black jersey.

Originally posted by The TRUTH!!@Mar 6 2006, 08:25 PM
15.Ben Blair?
Hahahahahahaha!

He had his moment of AB glory in 2001.

Those Brumbies wingers never did catch Blairs identity as they trampled him over and over again.

15. Mills/Leon

Easy... Nothing wrong with Leon (as long as he's not playing 10 or 13).
That's my opinion. If you that much of a problem with it, will supply my address if you want to sort it out personally.

13. ???
Haven’t seen anything from the Blues that's worth while, haven’t seen anything from the Chief's (unless you count one effort from Mils), Canes have got two possible’s, Highlanders haven’t got much either, Crusaders at this stage have got NOTHING (this game could of been REALLY BAD for the Blues if Ralph had a good day, instead of the sh*t effort he put in on the weekend).

And now for another thing, McAllways hurt... think you guys call him McAlister, I like the guy... but how you respect someone that gets taken off the pitch after running into Evans? Evans for f&*k's sake???

Think to stay on topic someone should start a new post on potential AB's based on current form (the whole 22).

:rolleyes: Leon has had a fantastic year so far and will be in Black at the end of the year.

And yeah the young Wellington fullback has also been awesome this year as someone said.

i think macdonald at fullback :p (at you ripper) gear at right wing, left wing, would have to be sivivatu. centre? yeah that will be an interesting call, would have put smith there, defintaly have nonu off the bench to cover wing and centre, but a starting centre, we seam to be a bit short at the moment. Maybe laulala? or maybe bring him off the bench and start nonu.

i am undecided :)

Latest posts