• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Round 8. Highlanders v Bulls

D

Dumbo

The Highlanders (like the Blues) have had a week off and take on the Bulls (who got humped by the Crusaders) in sunny Dunedin.

This should be a good one with the return (hopefully) of prop Hayman and hooker Oliver, match this up against one of the best hookers in Super 14 Gary Botha (who if does not get selected for the Saffa’s then something is majorly wrong in that part of the world).

I’d say the Bulls will be looking to bounce back from the shock of last week but that won’t be enough in my opinion.
Fly half Nick Evans seems to be taking his foot off ‘take it easy’ mode and really starting to push things along... it should be a close game but in the end I’m think the Highlanders should have this one in the bag.

Gary Botha (who if does not get selected for the Saffa’s then something is majorly wrong in that part of the world).

[/b]

I think he did actually captain the boks in one of the halves during the world XV match last year (*the end of year one*)

<div class='quotemain'>

Gary Botha (who if does not get selected for the Saffa’s then something is majorly wrong in that part of the world).

[/b]

I think he did actually captain the boks in one of the halves during the world XV match last year (*the end of year one*)
[/b][/quote]

Yes he did, 2nd half of the SA vs. World XV game, taking over from Chilliboy Ralapelle.

I just can`t see the Bulls playing that poorly 2 weeks in a row- it should, by all accounts, be a better performance by the Bulls. Certainly a mouth-watering prospect, Hayman vs. Steenkamp, and one that could just determine the outcome of the match. Too close to call, if both teams bring their A-games that is. Also, with the upper middle of the table getting very congested indeed, will be a crunch game for both sides.

This will be a huge match for these two teams, who imo, are in the running for the fourth spot at the end of the year, along with the Hurricanes.

Bulls will make it very hard for themselves if they lose this week to the Highlanders, then next week to the Hurricanes.

This should be a comfortable win for the Bulls.

After they were star-struck last week, most of their senior players would be punching themselves after their dismal perfomance.

Matfield & Bakkies Botha should dominate the lineouts and their forwards to outmuscle the Highlanders pack.

Bulls by 8.

No way Bro, reckon that this is the time that the Bulls could be out done in the forwards... well I'm hoping anyway.

Another defeat to the Bulls down soth would just make my day, plus it would mean that the top half of the ladder would be looking a lot more 'kiwi'.

Go the Highlanders, looking forward to this game BIG TIME.
Go Hayman!

This will be a tight match as both teams have similar styles.. Although, the Highlanders have been trying to play expansive rugby as of late.
With their All Blacks, their forwards will be bolstered, and they will have a formidible forward pack to match the Bulls.

Evans will probably be the key to this. I don't think the Highlanders forwards can win this alone. They'll need Evans to spark something.

oliver and hayman both on the bench

Highlanders: 15. Glen Horton, 14. Lucky Mulipola, 13. Matthew Saunders, 12. Aaron Bancroft, 11. Viliame Waqaseduadua , 10. Nick Evans , 9. Jimmy Cowan, 8. Ezra Taylor, 7. Josh Blackie ©, 6. Craig Newby, 5. James Ryan, 4. Hoani MacDonald, 3. Chris King, 2. Jason MacDonald, 1. Clarke Dermody. Res: 16. Anton Oliver, 17. Carl Hayman, 18.Kane Thompson, 19. Alando Soakai, 20. Toby Morland, 21. Callum Bruce, 22. James Wilson.

I don't think the bulls can pull of the win here. highlanders at home and had a week off as well. the bulls will be spirited but it will be in vain. highlander by 12

Agree... if the Bulls are going to take this out then they are really going to have to dominate the forward pack.

Well, good news for the Bulls with Hayman and Oliver starting from the bench. Another bit of good news for the Bulls is big Rayno Gerber, he of ex-Framesby High fame, starting again at 3- the Bulls have struggled of late to assert their traditional scrummaging dominance due to injuries to their 1st and 2nd-choice tightheads, Bands and Gerber.

More good news is that Wynand Olivier and Pierre Spies might both just be back for next week`s game. Spies can solve one of the Bulls` achillies heels this season, i.e. pace to the breakdown, while Olivier may just bring the spark to the not-so-glorious Bulls backline.

Bit of good news for the Highlanders, Oliver and Hayman on the bench... MacDonald and Dermody to start... Bulls to lose up front big time. If those two get tired then look who's on the bench.

Go Highlanders!

Hayman out with knee injury

From Xtra Rugby

A knee injury has ruled All Blacks prop Carl Hayman out of his Super 14 return on Saturday night.

Hayman was on the bench for the Highlanders in their 5.30pm date with the Bulls at Carisbrook along with test hooker Anton Oliver.

But Hayman has a knee injury. Team officials say it is not regarded as serious at this stage.

Gee the Highlanders can't make up their mind whether they are gonna tackle or not with each new week.

Some weeks they are out to strangle their opposition....other weeks they don't want to know.

Waqasaduaduanathan is useless atm......Muli(Hahaha!)pola is also clueless...the team do not know how to run on attack...there is no organisation with dummy runners and recievers.

Bulls simply bullied them as a result.

Like I said, the Bulls will have learnt from their mistakes against the Crusaders and thump the Highlanders.

The win wasnt pretty but it's still a win nonetheless.

Latest posts