• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rugby 2012 Team Ratings?

Rugby is also taken much more seriously at school level here in SA then it is anywhere else in the world. That's why we have so much depth and so much individual talent.

I would like some evidence that rugby is taken more seriously in schools in SA than anywhere else in the world because this feels very much like an unfounded statement

Wat a load of ********. Schools rugby is taken very seriously in a number of countriesdacross the world. Please back up your statement with some proof or retract it.

If SA schools are so great why are SAs age grade teams not the best in the world?
They should do some sort of school international championship or something, like the schools that win each countries championship play off aganist each other, would put this argument to rest

Some South Africans have started to get carried away. They've got the world cup, the Super 14 for the last 3 out of 4 years and have just last year won the Tri-Nations for the first time since '04. So naturally they are going to start dreaming about being the rugby gods from Mount Olympus. New Zealand has been the most consistently number one ranked rugby side of the last 20 years, but we at least realise that it comes with up's and downs, loss of world cups and do know we can be tripped up. In NZ schools rugby has been taken very seriously for a long time (basically since it started), yet we realise that it's also taken very seriously by other colleges and schools the world over.

I think a handful of South Africans are going to end up a little red faced when they come to realise that success isn't going to be a consistently permanent feature for them in the future. As I said earlier, there are up's and downs for every nation.

If SA schools are so great why are SAs age grade teams not the best in the world?
They should do some sort of school international championship or something, like the schools that win each countries championship play off aganist each other, would put this argument to rest

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sanix_World_Rugby_Youth_Invitational_Tournament

This is what you are talking about, it does exist.

South Africa have won it three times.

New Zealand have won it four times.

Australia have won it twice.

France have won it once.

South Africa have hosted it twice, New Zealand have hosted it once.

But the rankings on the games is in terms of players. If this is the case, S.A surely has to be number 1. The only reason we aren't completely unstoppable is because of our useless coaching team and political situation. If New Zealand, France or Australia had our coaching team they would battle to win anything. Give the Springboks Marc Lievermont and you've got the most unstoppable rugby team of all time. Rugby is also taken much more seriously at school level here in SA then it is anywhere else in the world. That's why we have so much depth and so much individual talent.

Keep at it rugbywriter, with form like that you could be SAs answer to Stephen Jones in a few years

Not being biased at all in saying this, but England has probably the largest school rugby system. I mean their sevens tournament is the biggest tournament apparently in rugby.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Schools_Sevens

Plus the DailyMail cup is pretty big with over 500 teams. The teams that win it are all private schools though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daily_Mail_Cup

It wouldn't suprise me, they have the largest player base in the world. It's not so much the size of the competition, but more the quality of the teams, remember NZ only has 4 million people.

It wouldn't suprise me, they have the largest player base in the world. It's not so much the size of the competition, but more the quality of the teams, remember NZ only has 4 million people.

It also has alot to do with in younger age groups the big islanders make so much more difference, just because they develop physically quicker.

i wouldnt take that world school one too seriously though (iron mikes one above). not too sure about the other countries but Aust had St Edmunds representing it in 2008 and won it. Sure it might be the best from Canberra but doesnt compare to the GPS in syd. when eddies played joeys in 2004 joeys won 46-0.
I'd probably say that England would have the biggest Schoolboy rugby system, but Australia does have some big rugby schools such as Joeys, Kings, riverview, st josephs Nudgee, and a few other Brisbane ones.

Last edited:
This threads about rating teams for Rugby 2012, it was an interesting diversion, but back on topic please fellas.

Personally I think that if an overall team rating is used it will quickly fall out of date. I like the idea that a teams rating changes with the level of players in it combined with the chemistry of those combinations. Afterall, that is what a teams performance is really about surely?

So, that would mean that if players were injured (say a Dan Carter or a Richie McCaw from NZ) and you had to start using reserve players that the team rating would drop accordingly.
That would apply to Domestic/World League competitions too as well as the national stuff. As you add better players to your team the rating goes up. And as other teams buy and sell players their ratings adjust accordingly. Anything else, like a fixed team rating, is just too arcady and artificial.

Player chemistry could also increase with time spent together and success achieved together. Similarly, injuries that break up combinations could lead to a drop in chemistry (and subsequently a drop in team rating).

Something like this:

madden.jpg

I'm not sure, but I think madden takes into account only your starting offense and defense squad, no reserves.

So what I'm saying is, it should take into account your attack, kicking ,defense, (much like I remember in Rugby 04) from your players, averaged. With more emphasis on your starting 15.

This post has confused me...

Funnily enough when my school went on tour to South Africa we won most of our matches against the big schools, and the only game we lost was to a township! Go figure. Oh yeah it was an english so na na na na naaa.

any chance its a private school?
but england's school teams vary so much i think england concentrates its plyers too much into a small amount of schools eg sedburgh has like 6-7 county players and like 4 england players in its 1st 15

Yeah it was Stowe, its a private school, haha the rugby is great in SA was just winding them up with some facts tho!

Let's stop taking this thread off-topic please. Once it's been called attention to, that's enough excuse for me to start deleting posts. Continue the school rugby debate in a new thread in the appropriate forum please.

Temporary distractions to the thread happen, but this is just getting a little deliberate.

BOD should be able to just dance around people in the game. Like in 08. So realistic

i agree witht that the ratings should change onwho is in the team
i remember in 06 i used to change the all black team to the worst ones possible it took my brother a while to catch on that it wasnt really at 91 rated team playin

Latest posts