• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rugby Championship: Argentina - South Africa (25/08/2012)

Ah, you want a hug? Seems popular on TRF lately ;)

bsmtu.jpg

Link for background

Anyone actually; I mean this in total seriousness; think Argentina WILL win this game ? I'm not saying "might", of course there's a chance they *could*. But anyone really think they'll get it ?

They'll only get it if 4 key Springboks are injured. We're already without Bismarck, Burger, Smith, Kankowski, Brussow, Aplon, Basson and Oosthuizen due to various reasons. Losing guys like a wing, center or prop will test our depth immensely. We are already in the situation where Thug Liebenberg is on the bench in a green tracksuit.

They'll only get it if 4 key Springboks are injured. We're already without Bismarck, Burger, Smith, Kankowski, Brussow, Aplon, Basson and Oosthuizen due to various reasons. Losing guys like a wing, center or prop will test our depth immensely. We are already in the situation where Thug Liebenberg is on the bench in a green tracksuit.

Yes, but please don't hurt Morne Steyn because we have absolutely zero other fly-halves in SA;)

Anyone actually; I mean this in total seriousness; think Argentina WILL win this game ? I'm not saying "might", of course there's a chance they *could*. But anyone really think they'll get it ?
No one si sure of the result, so I dont really know by somebody thinking that Argentina WILL win. I don't think anyone thinks of an Argentina win as more likely than a South Africa one.

Yes, but please don't hurt Morne Steyn because we have absolutely zero other fly-halves in SA;)

Why would any opponent try to hurt Morne Steyn? They are too scared a more suitable replacement will step up (Lambie) and spark out backline.

I don't miss Kankowski or Basson and missing out on Brussow and Aplon is just our own selection stubborness.

To that list of injured players in bold I would like to add:
Chiliboy (ahead of Liebenberg IMO though behind BdP and Strauss)
JP Petersen - our form wing
Spies - even though I would prefer one of Vermeulen, Coetzee or Alberts (with Brussow or Flouw coming into the mix)

- and even though they aren't capped they were players in form and marked prior to injury;
Duane Vermeulen
Jaco Taute
Johan Goosen

all of whom would be very welcome ATM.

Between those only BdP, one loosie and Petersen would be sure to start though Oosthuizen, Vermeulen, Taute and Goosen could easily have at least made the bench.

Last edited:
Kankowski on current form is a real asset to our team. Well, he could be. It's sad that especially now he is not available. He is playing his best rugby since 2007.

LOL, I have to say I'm with Heineken on this one. Not the biggest fan of either Spies or Kanko. Ever since he played at the Cheetahs Vermeulen was my man and I liked the look of both Joubert and Alberts at the Lions. Alberts has delivered albeit not at 8 for the Boks. Still think Ernst Joubert is the on that got away; the Bok no8 that should have played for the last 4 years.

Imagine if we select only overseas players... We can have quite a good team.

1. Gurthro Steenkamp
2. Schalk Brits
3. Brian Mujati
4. Bakkies Botha
5. Gerhard Mostert
6. Joe van Niekerk
7. Francois Louw
8. Ernst Joubert
9. Neil de Kock
11.Brent Russell
12.Brad Barritt (yes, he chose England but he should be playing for us)
13.Jaque Fourie

According to the Argentine press, Nicolás Sánchez looks to be the likeliest replacement for Juan Martín Hernández. His only professional games have been against Romania in the RWC, five games for Bordeaux in the Amlin Challenge cup and 32 minutes of Top 14. The season before, he played fly-half for Pampas XV xhen they won the Vodacom cup. Definitely not someone you would think fit to face the Springboks.
Other options are Fernández and Bosch. Personally, I'd like to see Bosch.

Nicolas Sanchez is going to replace Hernandez,
Argentine bench:
16. Bruno Postiglioni, 17. Marcos Ayerza, 18. Leonardo Senatore, 19. Tomás Leonardi, 20. Martín Landajo, 21. Lucas González Amorosino, 22. Juan Imhoff

Nicolás Sánchez has been confirmed as Fly Half in the Pumas starting XV. I think it is the best option to call up this young talented player, other options like Fernández or Bosch would mean other types of variations in the backs line, so in this case fly half for fly half means to keep the rest of the team as it was called earlier. The bench brings Juan Imhoff (thank god for that!), and just two front rowers, hooker Bruno Postiglioni and prop Marcos Ayerza, Juan Pablo Orlandi is out of this 22. So, the team would be something like this:

1- Rodrigo Roncero
2- Eusebio Guiñazú
3- Juan Figallo
4- Manuel Carizza
5- Patricio Albacete
6- Julio Farías Cabello
7- Ãlvaro Galindo
8- Juan Martín Fernández Lobbe
9- Nicolás Vergallo
10- Nicolás Sánchez
11- Horacio Agulla
12- Santiago Fernández