• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rugby Championship: New Zealand - Argentina (08/09/2012)

The poor weather could indeed make the game a bit tighter, though poor weather hasn't always stopped the AB's blowing opposition teams away. Indeed I remember this match 12 years in Wellington, when we completely destroyed Australia 43-6 in horrendous conditions. The fact I can remember the scoreline of a match 12 years ago (before I looked it up on youtube!) makes me realize (a) I'm getting older, and (b) I spend far too much time watching/talking/thinking about rugby!

Haha. Whenever I think of that match, the first visual thing that comes to mind is Justin Marshall's try in the left wing corner. I think Mertens chipped it through then someone (Lomu?) went down on the ball and stood up then offloaded to Marshal who ran the last 30m or so.

Athletic Park at is finest!!!

These conditions look terrible for goal kicking as well, I wonder if the Argies will be more inclined to use some borderline tactics at the breakdown with this in mind, last week they had Steyn who could punish them from 60 m if the conditions are as smartcooky says conversion kicks from out front might not be guarentee's!!!

These conditions look terrible for goal kicking as well, I wonder if the Argies will be more inclined to use some borderline tactics at the breakdown with this in mind, last week they had Steyn who could punish them from 60 m if the conditions are as smartcooky says conversion kicks from out front might not be guarentee's!!!

Trouble is that at the Cake Tin, the wind swirls a lot. You could be lining up a kick 40m out and dead in front, with a fairly strong wind coming over your right shoulder, but 15m out from the posts, the wind is coming towards you from your left. These are nightmare conditions for a goal-kicker.

Trouble is that at the Cake Tin, the wind swirls a lot. You could be lining up a kick 40m out and dead in front, with a fairly strong wind coming over your right shoulder, but 15m out from the posts, the wind is coming towards you from your left. These are nightmare conditions for a goal-kicker.

Sounds a lot like the stadiums that my gridiron teams play in, Ralph Wilson stadium in Buffalo was built by digging out a large portion of the stadium rather than a bigger superstructure which creates wierd wind patterns as the wind isn't blocked and dips into the field of play to swirl. Ivor Wynne in Hamilton has some odd winds to(although the stadium is in it's last season).

I've heard that Wellington airport is a bit of an adventure due to winds as well.

Edit: What's the best stadium to see a game in NZ in our Kiwi members opinions?

Sounds a lot like the stadiums that my gridiron teams play in, Ralph Wilson stadium in Buffalo was built by digging out a large portion of the stadium rather than a bigger superstructure which creates wierd wind patterns as the wind isn't blocked and dips into the field of play to swirl. Ivor Wynne in Hamilton has some odd winds to(although the stadium is in it's last season).

I've heard that Wellington airport is a bit of an adventure due to winds as well.

Edit: What's the best stadium to see a game in NZ in our Kiwi members opinions?

Forsyth Barr Stadium. Not just my opinion, but fact ;)

Would love to see it there, it's cool watching the Otago sides play there.

Forsyth Barr is indoors, so that's probably the top one... Otherwise, just looking at purely the stadium, Waikato's pretty good because you're quite close to the action etc.

Forsyth Barr Stadium. Not just my opinion, but fact ;)

I thought it was just some farmer's massive greenhouse :p

I've seen Carter have a few poor days with the boot, is it anything to do with the design of Westpac stadium, or simply the weather in Wellington?

Actually, I was just thinking about tect matches against the pumas that I'd seen live, prior to Darwin's post ... I recall seeing Zinzan Brooke's debut (along with Bernie McCahill), at Atheletic park back in ... ummn ... it was a while ago :)

I also saw the ABs play the Pumas at Carisbrook, Dunedin ... neither of these grounds were the best grounds if you were wondering Little Guy :)

Haven't actually been to the cake tin ... is it still the rule to take the wind in the first half, in Wellington?

Anyway, I'm really lookiing forward to the game ... ABs should win, but it could be close

Weather looks to have calmed down a lot here in Wellington. Not sure how the wind is though.

It probably did a great deal in helping Cruden miss that penalty, that with the angle.

Wow they sure took advantage of that lost ball by Nonu. Wind f'd up their kick too though.

Great line speed by Argentina. Some decisions going against them which I don't agree with but at least they're still leading and playing well

Wow AB's got totally smashed trying to roll it up in the corner there i cant remember the last time i saw that! If they dont score some more points soon argentina are going to love the second half.

I did not expect this. Pleasantly surprised. Not a bad way to start the day!

Latest posts