• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rugby Championship: South Africa - Argentina (18/08/2012)

Good! If they manage to get Kirchner and Morné injuried too, they probably are in favour to win TRC.
Until then, don't think so.

Hmmm sadly 8 isn't really a position I feel we are well covered, especially with Vermulen just back from injury HM won't risk calling him up. Kolisi at 8?

Just have this as the back row:

6. Coetzee
7. Alberts
8. Daniel

19.Kolisi

Coetzee can play 6, 7 and 8
Alberts can play 7 and 8
Daniel can play 6 and 8

Pumas squad announced:

<article>Team (15-1)
Lucas Gonzalez Amorosino; Gonzalo Camacho, Marcelo Bosch, Santiago Fernandez, Horacio Agulla; Juan Martin Hernandez, Nicolas Vergallo; Juan Martin Fernandez Lobbe (capt), Alvaro Galindo, Julio Farias Cabello; Patricio Albacete, Manuel Carizza; Juan Figallo, Eusebio Guinazu, Rodrigo Roncero
Replacements: Bruno Postiglioni, Marcos Ayerza, Juan Pablo Orlandi, Tomas Leonardi, Leonardo Senatore, Martin Landajo, Martin Rodriguez
Coach: Santiago Phelan

</article>

I am just glad to see them back in competitive territory, SA and Argentina have been great rugby friends for decades.
Thanks, as far as I've read, through these years of tough negotiations South Africa has always been the most keen to accept the Pumas into the Rugby Championship. They also aided the development of Argentinian rugby by accepting the Pampas XV in the Vodacom Cup. So I think it's nice that the Boks are going to be our first rivals, even though I think there's no chance the Pumas can beat them.

Just have this as the back row:

6. Coetzee
7. Alberts
8. Daniel

19.Kolisi

Coetzee can play 6, 7 and 8
Alberts can play 7 and 8
Daniel can play 6 and 8
For reference, if they go with an all Sharks back-row, Daniel may play as number 8. That's the way Plumtree placed them when the three of them played together in the Super Rugby this year. I would go with Alberts at 8, though.

Talking about the Pumas squad, I can't believe Imhoff is not among the 22. Not even on the bench. And I don't know what's so good about Vergallo that Phelan keeps choosing him as the first choice scrum-half. I would like to ask him.

Ryan Kankowski must be kicking himself.
I'd rather see Daniel on the Openside, with Alberts at eight, but in the end it's only number on their back.

Who knows... Maybe Kanko will be called up as a replacement.

I thought I heard that his contract does not include international release.
I'll see what I can find.

Well, if SARU can agree on compensation, I don't see a problem with it, really.

Well, if SARU can agree on compensation, I don't see a problem with it, really.

I'm sure you would start a Get Kankowski to play for the Boks fund if necessary ;)
Daniel has a spider bite or something, so might miss some training.

So Spies is out, Daniel likely out, Vermeulen, Brussow, Smith, Burger all not available. That leaves Coetzee, J. Potgieter, Alberts and Kolisi. That's not enough. GET KANKO BACK!!!

There's 2 guys who look good in green:

425-the-incredible-hulk-033108.jpg

Ryan+Kankowski+Tri+Nations+New+Zealand+v+South+GX9qTVOUXQil.jpg

And the reason I think he looks good in Green is because he offers the whole package. Speed, versatility, technique, length and structure in the line-out.

Well, I rather have Luke Watson than having to see Dewald Potgieter in the starting XV

Geez I was going to have a lazy punt on the Pumas but those are such stingy odds!! I thought it was going to be 5 or 6 to 1 at least! Good to see Hernandez back, pretty intense way to return though after 3 years out of the side

ARGENTINA TEAM: Roncero, Guiñazu, Figallo, Carizza, Albacete, Carbello, Galindo, Lobbe (c); Vergallo, Hernandez, Agulla, Fernandez, Bosch, Camacho, Amorisino
Bench- Postiglioni, Ayerza, Orlandi, Leonardi, Senatore, Landajo, Rodriguez

Looks like quite a safe selection to me- I would've gambled a bit more and definitely put Imhoff in on the wing, either straight in for Camacho, or moved Agulla into 13. They're unlikely to beat the Boks with this side, I'd say, but should push them close. I would've taken a few more risks and tried to go all-out to defeat them, not thinking about damage limitation.

A largely predictable selection. I assume Creevy is out injured, and he is a big loss IMO. Slightly surprised not to see Imhoff in the 22, but I'm sure he will get his chance later on in the tournament

Pierre Spies out with a finger injury
article here

Not sure whether this is good news or bad news for the Boks....

Spies is far from my favourite player, but he has actually improved his work-rate in recent seasons, and is a great option at the back of the lineout. If South Africa replace him with Daniel (and possibly alter the configuration of the trio) I think they will actually be better off, as they will have a far better balanced trio. However if they replace him with someone like Potgieter (with Alberts moving to 8), I think they will be worse off, as I think the trio would be even less balanced than before. It will certainly be interesting to see what South Africa do here....

That picture of the Hulk, a spider biting Daniel.. that's just too many comic book references so early in the morning.

Anyway if Daniel is available then I'd like to see him at openside, Alberts blind and Coetzee at 8. That makes the most sense to me. I'd like to see Daniel show what he can do starting as hes only really had chances coming off the bench. Would also love to see Kolisi on the bench and getting a cap. I assume the team is getting announced today?

A largely predictable selection. I assume Creevy is out injured, and he is a big loss IMO. Slightly surprised not to see Imhoff in the 22, but I'm sure he will get his chance later on in the tournament
Creevy is indeed out injured. Argentina desperately need Postiglioni to become a solid test player, as Guiñazú is rather average.

As for Imhoff, he's perhaps the best attacking winger they have, but he sometimes gets shown on defence by bigger players. So does Amorosino, so it became an either or situation, and as Amorosino is a more accomplished fullback, he was given the spot. And then, in a 5/2 split, his lack of polyfunctionality played against him.

Latest posts