• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rugby Championship: South Africa - Argentina (18/08/2012)

Good to see Bekker back in a bok jersey. Hopefully he has an injury free test season.

For as much as I complain about this, I'd rather see him at fullback than Kirchner!

I know he's better than Kirchner but would you rather Lambie at 15 for 80 or at 10 for 30? If they want to play him somewhere other than 10 it should be inside centre. He's a playmaker which isn't utilised enough at fullback.

I know he's better than Kirchner but would you rather Lambie at 15 for 80 or at 10 for 30? If they want to play him somewhere other than 10 it should be inside centre. He's a playmaker which isn't utilised enough at fullback.

Agree entirely, but we know Meyer isn't going to drop Steyn. I'd rather have Lambie somewhere in the XV than on the bench.

Oh wow... Reading through these pages makes me really wonder about you guys. HM not having a single Bulls player in the pack since 2008, yet no praise goes to the coach for picking the correct guys, he could've easily put in Jacques Potgieter or even called up Dewald or CJ from the Bulls to fill the gap, but no... He picked the guys on merit, and that pack looks scary IMO... Covering all the bases.

While we all are in agreement that Steyn should not be there. Maybe HM has a plan that we don't know of.

Experience is still very key in a squad, and with Etzebeth, Coetzee, Alberts and Daniel all with not a lot of Games under their belt, the experience of the Backline comes into play... JDV, Frans Steyn, Habana and Kirchner are all experienced campaigners and that's also a reason why they are picked ahead of Lambie, and others.

While I don't think we would lose this match, if it becomes tight due to weather or whatever else, the Experienced guys will have to step up and lead the way...

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

Yeah, that is an in-form pack.
Meyer has stated that he wants execution over innovation, so I really think that Steyn is only there for that reason.
I'll give him another match to see what he can do.

This is Daniel's shot to claim a starting spot, hope he makes the most of it!

Cannot believe this will be Francois' 50th cap; provided he stays injury-free and in form, he could get well past the 100 cap mark. He could head into RWC2015 with around 80-90 caps.

Oh wow... Reading through these pages makes me really wonder about you guys. HM not having a single Bulls player in the pack since 2008, yet no praise goes to the coach for picking the correct guys, he could've easily put in Jacques Potgieter or even called up Dewald or CJ from the Bulls to fill the gap, but no... He picked the guys on merit, and that pack looks scary IMO... Covering all the bases.

While we all are in agreement that Steyn should not be there. Maybe HM has a plan that we don't know of.

Experience is still very key in a squad, and with Etzebeth, Coetzee, Alberts and Daniel all with not a lot of Games under their belt, the experience of the Backline comes into play... JDV, Frans Steyn, Habana and Kirchner are all experienced campaigners and that's also a reason why they are picked ahead of Lambie, and others.

While I don't think we would lose this match, if it becomes tight due to weather or whatever else, the Experienced guys will have to step up and lead the way...

Loose forward is not the problem and picking Bulls players isn't a problem either if they merit it (I am shocked not to see Kruger for example and wouldn't have minded Ralepele in the least- now that he starts regularly for the Bulls and has shown his consistency) and his hand was forced regarding dropping Spies. The problem is the Bulls 9, 10 and 15 combination. I'd love for J Potgieter and CJ Stander both to come in ahead of Daniel and Coetzee if that meant we had Lambie starting at 10 or Pienaar coming in to save Steyn some face.

Of the experienced backs you mention in JdV, Frans, Habana and Kirschner only the latter is keeping Lambie out and Lambie shouldn't even be considered at 15 ahead of 10 in the first place. Arguing experience is BS in the first place IMO for the backs, for the forwards maybe but some young blood is needed back and Pienaar is an experienced campaigner wasted on the bench if we were being serious about caps.

Last edited:

think his hand was forced a bit...

it's not like we don't want any Bulls players in the squad, we want the right ones.

I say yes to Jacques Potgieter, Ralepelle, Engelbrecht, Basson, Juandre Kruger, Hougaard on the wing
I say no to Morne Steyn, Kirchner, Dewald Potgieter, Stegmann, Werner Kruger, Greyling, Hougaard at scrum-half

it's not like we don't want any Bulls players in the squad, we want the right ones.

I say yes to Jacques Potgieter, Ralepelle, Engelbrecht, Basson, Juandre Kruger, Hougaard on the wing
I say no to Morne Steyn, Kirchner, Dewald Potgieter, Stegmann, Werner Kruger, Greyling, Hougaard at scrum-half

i hear you, players need to be picked on form/merit regardless of franchise/race/colour and most importantly they should not be picked on last year's form....

i disagree with Engelbrecht though... i think he needs to be there... he is an attacking player... shows you that HM might play a running game...

Last edited:
Why do you disagree with Engelbrecht? In my statement I say "yes" to him in the Bok team. He adds a lot on attack.

I still feel we could have been a lot more probing from the back with Ludik in the team. Kirchner is decent under the high ball, but his chasing, passing and vision is just not good enough. Can't wait to see this backline in action:

Pienaar
Lambie

Aplon
F. Steyn
de Villiers
JP Pietersen
Ludik

With Taute and Petersen injured Ludik and Appels are the from replacements yes. I'd be very tempted to have Hougaard at 11. Habana has found some good form so we are sorted out back or at least we should be apart from picking Kirschner.

Pienaar/Lambie needs to happen is all I can say.

F Steyn picks himself at 12 and with JF gone I'm happy enough to have JdV at 13 until one of De Jongh or the youngsters take a step up (Engelbrecht, Whitehead and Jordaan have all done well so far and then there is Serfontein to look forward to). Personally not yet convinced about Ebersohn and Sadie. Small Smith might struggle to get game time for now.

Last edited:
Do any of you guys think that Hennie Daniller is good enough? He's been around for a while and from what i understand has a big kicking game.

if you want to select a full-back for his big boot, than rather call up Riaan Viljoen, who also adds some pace, tactical kicking and running.

Is there any update on Goosen's injury? Will he still play rugby this year, even if it is Currie Cup? Can't wait to see him in action again.

Latest posts