• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rugby Championship: South Africa - New Zealand (06/10/2012)

It was a fiery first quarter, but the All Blacks handled it well and later went to work.
Very disappointing. Goosen and Jantjies missed 12 points between them.

NOt sure what he's talking about, but the last 15 minutes of the match or so have been rather lackluster, with what seems to be a lot of time wasted in the scrum set.

das

Yes, a bit of "safety first" with the All Blacks, as they ran down the clock, with only 14 players on the field for most of it ... a good test match, that was closely fought (as I'd expect) for most of the match.

The difference between the start of the comp and the end ... the ABs had their timing right, and were able to capitalise on their limited opportunities in the first half

Yeah i put it down to the boks running out steam. They came out firing in the 1st but didnt back it up in the second.

In the game's defense, I was multitasking at the time, but the whole game just seemed to get quiet (even on the ABs side). Everytime I looked up at the screen I saw guys standing around with hands on hips, and the few bursts of action were short-lived. It just felt like everyone was ready to go to the showers by the 65th minute.

das

Yes, a bit of "safety first" with the All Blacks, as they ran down the clock, with only 14 players on the field for most of it ... a good test match, that was closely fought (as I'd expect) for most of the match.

The difference between the start of the comp and the end ... the ABs had their timing right, and were able to capitalise on their limited opportunities in the first half

I don't mind when a team runs down the clock in a tight match, but this wasn't that close so I just feel it would have ended on a more exciting note if the ABs had let things open up a bit.

Not that I'm complaining TOO much, afterall, I was rooting for the team in black. ;)

das

Quick evaluation.

1. Tony Woodcock - 6.5 - Good around the park and was solid in the scrums for the most part.
2. Andrew Hore - 7.5 - Was very good while he was on, certainly won plenty of ball for us in a team going backwards.
3. Owen Franks - 6.5 - Good on defense and solid scrummaging.
4. Brodie Retallick - 6 - Fairly solid game, hit rucks but wasn't amazing.
5. Sam Whitelock - 8 - Very good game. Scored a great try, won a lineout against the throw, hit lots of rucks.
6. Liam Messam - 6.5 - Ran straight and hard but doesn't seem to get far past advantage line. Was very good on defense.
7. Richie McCaw - 7 - Was effective at slowing down/disrupting the ball and made quite a bit of tackles. Good work rate.
8. Kieran Read - 8 - Worked very hard, made good runs and linked well. Looked like he hurt his sholder and I thought he did very well considering.
9. Aaron Smith - 6 - Seemed to box kick far too much and I felt he tried too much sometimes. Nice support play though.
10. Daniel Carter - 8.5 - My only criticism of Carter was he didn't get the ball enough. Every time he touched it he made the correct decision with accuracy.
11. Hosea Gear - 8.5 - Was ready to concede Savea should start but Gear really, really impressed me. Broke tackles, run quickly, was unselfish in giving Aaron Smith his try, defended brilliantly. Bestg performance against a Tri Nations team despite not scoring.
12. Ma'a Nonu - 7.5 - Looked good in the sense he got past advantage line and distributed well. Nice handling for his try.
13. Conrad Smith - 8 - Very nice game, steightened up very well as usual, nice distributing and hard running. Good to see him get a try.
14. Cory Jane - 6 - Was quiet and I thought he used up and unders too much, would have liked to see all the outside backs back themselves more.
15. Israel Dagg - 7.5 - Great kicking and broke the line a few times nicely. Got a yellow card which could have been costly.

Happy with the result. Darwin should be cheered up a little bit after Wellington did some brutal, dirty, dirty things to Otago.

I'll bet Gear saw this as his chance to stay in contention for an All-Blacks spot in the future. Certainly took it.

Springboks unlucky not to get a penalty try after Reid was the only thing stopping the maul and he came from an offside position to bring it down...didn't even get a penalty....

Quick evaluation.

1. Tony Woodcock - 6.5 - Good around the park and was solid in the scrums for the most part.
2. Andrew Hore - 7.5 - Was very good while he was on, certainly won plenty of ball for us in a team going backwards.
3. Owen Franks - 6.5 - Good on defense and solid scrummaging.
4. Brodie Retallick - 6 - Fairly solid game, hit rucks but wasn't amazing.
5. Sam Whitelock - 8 - Very good game. Scored a great try, won a lineout against the throw, hit lots of rucks.
6. Liam Messam - 6.5 - Ran straight and hard but doesn't seem to get far past advantage line. Was very good on defense.
7. Richie McCaw - 7 - Was effective at slowing down/disrupting the ball and made quite a bit of tackles. Good work rate.
8. Kieran Read - 8 - Worked very hard, made good runs and linked well. Looked like he hurt his sholder and I thought he did very well considering.
9. Aaron Smith - 6 - Seemed to box kick far too much and I felt he tried too much sometimes. Nice support play though.
10. Daniel Carter - 8.5 - My only criticism of Carter was he didn't get the ball enough. Every time he touched it he made the correct decision with accuracy.
11. Hosea Gear - 8.5 - Was ready to concede Savea should start but Gear really, really impressed me. Broke tackles, run quickly, was unselfish in giving Aaron Smith his try, defended brilliantly. Bestg performance against a Tri Nations team despite not scoring.
12. Ma'a Nonu - 7.5 - Looked good in the sense he got past advantage line and distributed well. Nice handling for his try.
13. Conrad Smith - 8 - Very nice game, steightened up very well as usual, nice distributing and hard running. Good to see him get a try.
14. Cory Jane - 6 - Was quiet and I thought he used up and unders too much, would have liked to see all the outside backs back themselves more.
15. Israel Dagg - 7.5 - Great kicking and broke the line a few times nicely. Got a yellow card which could have been costly.

Happy with the result. Darwin should be cheered up a little bit after Wellington did some brutal, dirty, dirty things to Otago.

Well that brought the tone of the thread down. For shame Nick. For shame.

Good ratings - I think are a very accurate reflection of the game. The only ones I would have given slightly higher ratings to would be Messam & A Smith. I actually though Messam had one of his better AB's games with ball in hand, and made a couple of really good runs in the open. Before you ask - no Larksea has not hacked my account! I agree Aaron Smith box-kicked far too much, but his passing (when he used it!) was superb all game, and was one of the reasons we had so much space to work with in the backs.

Last edited:
All Blacks just showed why they are the best team in the world, from practically having very little possession in the first half and ref not really on their side, don't remember the penalty stats but I remember sometime in the 1st half showing 10-0 against All Blacks to winning the game like that!

On the Springboks side, I've said this before and I'll say it again Pat Lambie must just be played at Fly-half! He was anonymous when he came on really! He is just a waste at fullback

Taute was solid once again though and I'd love to see Frans Steyn inside him and Lambie at 10...

Coenie Oosthuizen the penalty machine was just on his way to being Dean Greyling...

Nothing much to say except that New Zealand Showed just how far the gap is between the two sides, that you have to take your chances when presented with them

Erm, so i guess the "urban myth" of traveling east to west before a game is now busted :? So the sharks excuse in the S15 is also proven wrong... best moment of the game... Gear running over 3 Springboks, ESP Banana:p

It was a good game at 19 16 but then Conrad scored and I had a very strong feeling that the ABs were about to get home and they did.

Boks started off great, they should of maintained that tempo and intensity especially in the start of the second half. Its dissapointing that the Boks had a lot going for them, even Aaron Smiths box kicks were working in the boks favour but despite all that the ABs prevailed. I think Morne was needed for this game in particular, maybe not for the other games but IMO he and Frans wouldve been more suited to this game, especially considering Morne wouldve been looking for redemption.

I think Dagg is just the man.

Latest posts