• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rugby World Cup 2019 Japan will be the Worst Wcup ever in history.

Not what i read. They have been trying but the irb has been saying they don't have a professional league but they have a huge amateur league over 1000 teams at high level! Grab any first division amateur team from buenos and they would crush japan's best. So the nonsense is japan and you.

Let me understand your point here your argument is that any amatuer team from Argentina of which there are 1000 could crush a Japanese team that beat a second string Welsh team and got within 50 points of the All Blacks in the very same season that your national team went 2 wins and 10 losses for the season including a 7-83 point loss to the Springboks??

You beat Gerogia and Italy which is about your current level one could say the same about Japan. You are ranked No9 keep losing and Japan will overtake you in the rankings.

The colleges don't go beyond provincial, and the universities only have CIS national women's rugby not mens.

Is there an intention to develop college Rugby as part of the player pathway?

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there an intention to develop college Rugby as part of the player pathway?

Bear in mind that I only know about Ontario. Little Guy or others would know a lot more than me, I've really only started following anything beyond my club this year.

There is a pretty clear pathway, High School/ Junior > Senior > Regional > National. University fits into the Senior level, along with senior club teams. Playing well for a good team gets you selected for the regional side, in this case the Ontario Blues. The thing is, most if not all all university players also play club. So university rugby does give players another chance to be noticed, but its not critical in making the provincial team.

Its seems that national team selection comes mostly from the regions, so I'm not sure that having a national university competition would change much. As to why there isn't already CIS men's rugby I have no idea. I read something about wanting to have an equal number of male and female athletes across all CIS teams, and football means there are a lot more men. College rugby is big step below university level, with the exception of one or two teams.

In a way it is similar to the hockey model, with a lot of Americans coming through NCAA while in Canada players go through the OHL .

Another pathway is to play for the age-grade regional teams, eg Junior Blues U16 U18 etc. Those teams have try-outs, so even if you play for a tiny low level club like I do, you could still have a chance at provincial level if you're good enough.

Well at least Argentina does not depend on internationals to play for their national team. What has japan done the last 10 years or more? They are non existent! Watch 2014 and lets see what japan does? At least the pumas wont waste their time playing a test match against a non existent squad.

Let me understand your point here your argument is that any amatuer team from Argentina of which there are 1000 could crush a Japanese team that beat a second string Welsh team and got within 50 points of the All Blacks in the very same season that your national team went 2 wins and 10 losses for the season including a 7-83 point loss to the Springboks?

I think he means a Top League side, not the national side.

I think he means a Top League side, not the national side.

It's still a statement that is complete and utter bull**** and based on no knowledge whatsoever and indicative of the downhill spiral this forum has been going in recent months. Suntory Sungoliath would probably beat all the Argentine amateur sides.

Well at least Argentina does not depend on internationals to play for their national team. What has japan done the last 10 years or more? They are non existent! Watch 2014 and lets see what japan does? At least the pumas wont waste their time playing a test match against a non existent squad.

No they won't. Instead they will waste their time playing (and getting thrashed) with one.

I think Japan 2019 will be a good RWC. There won't be a shortage of fans for sure - the local corporations will send all of their employees if needed to make sure that the stands are full. Many of those people won't care much about rugby, perhaps they won't even understand the rules, but they will be there. If Japan deserves to host this competition ahead of other countries, that's another discussion and I don't want to get into it. As for their national team, it has improved a lot. I think that it's mainly thanks to their current head coach who seems to be doing an excellent job.

As for the discussion about the amateur vs pro leagues, I think that a pro competition is a huge asset for the countries that have one. But it's much easier to organise one in a small country like Romania than in a big one like the USA, so not having one doesn't always mean that the local union is doing a bad job.

I also agree that Suntory (and probably most of the other top division Japanese clubs) would beat the amateur Argentine ones quite easily.

Last edited:
Would love to see that. The jaguars and the pampa xv can beat any japanese side. I can see this forum there is a lot of argentina haters. Its ok argentina still can beat japan easily. No one talks about the awesome wins that the pumas had the past 10 years. Only talk about 2013 and the transition of players and coaches. Cant wait till 2014.

Not been reading this thread, as the ***le seems a bit like someone trying to pick a fight with the recent influx of Japanese rugby fans to the forum.
Could someone sum it up for me?

Its simple a lot of people on this site hate the pumas and no one said they hate a Japanese. Im just defending the pumas. It all started with someone hating the RWC being japan. Others thought it should be in other places and i agreed and then the hate towards the pumas started.

Not been reading this thread, as the ***le seems a bit like someone trying to pick a fight with the recent influx of Japanese rugby fans to the forum.

The thread was actually started by one of the new Japanese arrivals.

Its simple a lot of people on this site hate the pumas and no one said they hate a Japanese. Im just defending the pumas. It all started with someone hating the RWC being japan. Others thought it should be in other places and i agreed and then the hate towards the pumas started.

That isn't what happened at all. All that happened was that you made some ridiculous statements, like:
- Argentina should have been awarded the World Cup
- Any first division amateur team from Buneos can beat a Japanese Top League side.

In response to the first statement, it was pointed out that Argentina did not even bid for the world cup. The second statement is clearly ridiculous as Japanese Top League sides have quality imports in addition to their regular Japanese players.

We do not hate Argentina, rather we want to see Argentina prosper. I would very much like to see a future World Cup hosted in your country. However, if you make ridiculous statements you will be called out on them. I think it is poor form to lose an argument on pure logic and then say everyone hates your country to deflect.

大阪韓国高校ではなく、大阪朝鮮高級学校です。「韓国」と「朝鮮」は、どちらも英語ではKoreaなので、英語の国の人にはわかりにくいかもしれませんね。
Republic of Koreaが「韓国」で、Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK)が「朝鮮民主主義人民共和国」です。
大阪朝鮮高級学校は「朝鮮民主主義人民共和国」にidentifyするKoreans (朝鮮人)が運営している学校です。

英語では違いはSouth Korea と North Koreaと呼ばれるので、両方とも韓国なのですが、異なっている国と理解しています。

日本代表のjerseyには、左袖(left sleeve)に小さな日の丸(Hinomaru)がついています。

Association Football (Soccer)の日本代表は、青いjerseyですが、このことの理由は、史料文献が残っていないために不明です。

グッグって見ると、サッカー(米国英語みたいに豪州英語にも"football"ではなく"soccer"と呼ばれる)の代表チームが青いジャージを着る理由は1936年のオリンピックではSweden対の試合では青いジャージを着て勝ちました。そのために、それからずっと青色のジャージを着ました。なので、少しSpringboksの色の話と似ています。

もし可能なら、あなたの応援しているThe Sydney Roosters (NRL), The Waratahs (Super Rugby)のjerseysをプレゼントしていただくことはできますか?

ロースター 5001802-3x2-940x627.jpg
ヲラターズ10206.jpg

Last edited:

Why would anyone be trying to pick a fight with Japanese rugby fans? Most rugby fans I know only want to see Japan get better at rugby...

I stand corrected. Apologies for my inaccurate assumptions (Really shouldn't read a book by its cover, especially late on a Saturday night)

This thread started really well but drifted so far off topic almost gave me ADHD.... Also will Japanese players commit team seppuku if they take the last place in their group ?

The IRB screwed up in awarding the RWC to Japan without significant changes in structure and outlook from the JRFU. Rugby in Japan is not growing like it is in its Tier 2 country peers like Canada, the US, Georgia and Romania. Japan had a higher rugby popularity to start with than these places, but it is going backwards due to a terrible attitude from the JRFU. Anyone trusting the JRFU and IRB to come through simply because they are large governing bodies is insane. Russia's RUR is another example of a terrible governing body and look what a disaster the RWC 7s was.

For anyone looking for countries that haven't hosted the RWC yet who would be good, I'd say Italy is the most obvious choice and Argentina would be good too. 10 years down the road, the US/North America would be good too. While the unions named here aren't perfect, they do a much better job and have a much more progressive outlook than the JRFU.

Yeah, Italy would have been a better bet for 2019. They would get a lot of travelling support. Good stadiums too.

I think I've read Pichot say they're going after 2023. Argentina would be a great place for the WC. Recently there's been a slump in interest for the Pumas due to their low form, but then again, Argentina didn't win the Soccer World Cup twice by allowing other nations to upstage them. They have good stadia and in 10 years time I do see the game being in a more serious place in all of South America.

No, I was asking: "If you are a generous person, could you buy jerseys of The Roosters and The Waratahs for me, a poor student?"

Hahahahaha I suppose I could, but then why would you want them?

Latest posts