• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RWC 2011 Demo - Your thoughts?

Ive had 5 games of it now or so
Some things really kill the immersion for me, they dont affect gameplay but they really make me feel like its not quite right
firstly, the replays, i dont understand the replays
I run into touch, it shows me a image of the players back, why would it not show me how he went into touch
I kick to touch, it shows me an image of the opposite number 3's back, why is it not showing me the kick
I score a try, it shows 3 angles 90% of the time its from roughly the same angle which im playing the game, why is it not showing me some sort of glory cam, over the shoulder or facing the player from the deadball line, zooming out as hes coming closer
what is the point of have player likenesses if the camera is constantly a million miles away and i cant free roam in the pause menu replays

secondly
the player models, there is one guy in particular on the SA team who has a really odd looking head, almost like a moose, he sticks out like a sore thumb every time the players are running onto the pitch
also everyone appears to have a really long neck, i dont know what it is, just doesnt look right

gameplay
ive tried playing a more forward orientated game like stated on this forum, but the only thing ive noticed is that i can score a try almost every time by doing a side step before i reach the gain line and again when confronting the fullback, pierre spies is quite good at this, but i know this is just because its on easy, which is why they should have given both easy and hardest difficulty
i kinda like the rooking mechanism
everything else is the same as far as i can tell
I agree that the green lines for kicking are too hard to see
I also feel that the gameplay seems a bit slow, i suppose thats more realistic but i liked the speed
At least i dont give away a penalty on every play by tackling the player as he is receiving the ball like in 08 that ****** me off

so in short,
Very similar to 08, more than likely wont buy it
the reason why im not buying it has only a little to do with the graphics or gameplay, its more to do with a lack of world tournament which was the only mode i used in 04, 05, 06 and 08

NOTE:
if someone could give a good explanation of more of the new forward features such as a defensive straife, which i dont know what it is, give me a buzz and ill try it out

Last edited:
Jesus there's some amazing keyboard warriors on this forum.

I'm awaiting ps3 demo so not gotten a lash yet but from the sounds of it hb have made yet another marketing error in underselling their product by putting it out in easy only.

I don't really get the logic, sure entry level players can have a kickabout,but surely quelling the fears of people who aren't numpties and can play games on normal settings would have been wiser?

Dont see how it cheapens the product or gives too much away to have people select harder difficulties. Not like they are gonna say well now I'll just play 4 minutes on hard with Sa and England until the end of time and not buy the final product??

If it is a good step up from 08 in difficulty they should have used this as an opportunity to prove it.

Meanwhile, some of these overreactions seem just too passionate for logic.

I say again as I've said elsewhere,warts and all 08 was the best rugby game ever made thus far.

So to put a little opposite spin on the ott wailing If this is an improvement on that, which even 08 online would be, then this is know the best we've ever seen.

We can debate till the cows come home if rc will then snatch that ***le on release but for now no-one but getofmeland and lads at the rc play test in Dublin can say so as no-one else has any perspective on gameplay comparison.

Any chance a level headed person could tell me what human v human on the demo was like? I couldn't care lea bout playing v CPU as 99% of my play will be against online opponents when this comes out. I don't think I've played a single game of FIFA 11 against CPU.

I do have to admit the commentary is top notch
cant say im a big fan of the sky sports duo, in fact i think barnes is a knob, at the same time its just like the commentary you would get with sky, a great touch

I've played 3 halves on the demo, and there are things i'm happy about, and things i'm a bit disappointed in.. mainly non-development of some parts of the port over from R08.

The field gameplay seems tighter, we have a try celebration of some kind which is an improvement, and the game looks good, though i can't really see too many differences to R08 graphically apart from player and kit detail.

The rucking is much better, you feel you have to actually win the ball and do have control over winning or losing them and i went through multiple phases because of how i played the ruck. I did get pinged once, so it's not button mashing, it's more about pacing the button presses, which seems to feel right as you have more urgency to win the ball at different types of ruck situations.

The passing i would say is the same, or actually poorer compared to R08. The ball seems to float in the air, it kind of reminded me a little of the other rugby challenge game released previously.

I'm sure this can be fixed with DLC. Also, as i found myself getting used to what is basically, R08 with an xbox 360 controller, if i got a pass direction mixed up, it'd just throw it more randomly than in R08 i found.

Overall, i'd say the game is solid, but workmanlike and far too short, though different teams may play different styles so i've heard which would be interesting. Nothing revolutionary, i was expecting more a tidier JLR but in 2011, whereas its more like a more playable R08, but i can't complain about an update of R08 RWC edition, as i loved R08 orginally. I'd give it a 75/100.

I can't comment on animations at such, as i hadn't figured out how to do as my PC controller config i used for R08, was nothing like xbox 360.

If i had to compare it, i'd say rather than be the heinz baked beans of rugby games, it's more like a branston or HP effort, where it'll do the trick, but you feel unsatisfied to a degree.

They really should make a club sequel, with new licenses from Japan, Italy and perhaps some pacific club teams.. along the lines of Fifa 11 route but revamp the kit select (i didn't like how it's very similar to R08) and add a full career mode and create a competition mode.

to those who have played it...... can you choose your team? or is it bog standard black or white? ive read s.a are available and its easy mode only etc

Rugby 08 was a broken game, had so many things wrong with it and was nowhere near a good representation of the game of Rugby, irrelevant of whether it was the best Rugby game ever released. It's just sheer laziness, you're all being mugged off by buying the game, as it's quite simply a cash in with minimal effort made. I really don't see what the point was the game affiliating itself with a forum community and looking for input on how to make the best Rugby game, the small improvements they've made could have been suggested by someone of very little Rugby knowledge at all quite frankly.

I'll probably get some sort of 'Keyboard Warrior' jibe for this, but I think honesty is much better than praising a weak product which has clearly been designed to make money from the Rugby World Cup licence and not supply a genuine experience.

PS. How the **** do I dummy!?

you know what you are 100% correct
if they came out with this out of the blue, we would have gone bananas for it
its the fact that they came on here, asking questions about what could provide to them to make the game better, and they appear to have done very little with the information they were given
from memory it was
rucking (fixed or at least had work done to it)
defensive holes (no way of telling im guessing they are the same)
defensive intelligence (still running like a pack of wolves, and have no intelligence when setting up the defensive line)
the last two are directly linked to difficulty

they have tweeked the gameplay and upped the resolution and vaguely improved the player models,
That would have been great on the ps2, but it doesnt look great in HD

If you look back at one of the QA sessions, there was roughly 15 questions answered by the hb_studio guys, and the answer to practically all the questions was no
all well and good, but why did they bother affiliating themselves with the forum at all

of course if RC didnt exist the anguish probably wouldnt be as bad, because when you have a new game that uses a revamped engine from a game originally released in 2004, head to head with a game (which may or may not be good) that has been built from the ground up, and must have taken the limitations of previous rugby games into account, you cant help but think its going to be as good or better (with significantly better graphics).

i dont think we can help but feel a little cheated in some respects, not that they released a game that isnt what we expected, but that they released a game which wasnt what we expected when they asked us what we wanted

by the way you press left trigger and pass button to dummy, i did it for the first time ever there 10 minutes ago, and i have to admit it was very satisfying

Waste of licenses!! Don't think any of our suggestions were taken on board

I didn't like it at all when I first played the demo, although this usually happens with demos, but the games then tend to grow on me after a few more plays. I played a few more games and I just couldn't get into this at all.

It reminded me of the early Xbox 360 sports games, the ones that were in the transition period, upgrading from PS2 and Xbox to next gen, these games basically had:

- Exactly the same gameplay as the 'current gen' games
- Slightly better graphics
- Stripped features

This is basically what RWC 2011 has (From what I've played of the demo, the stripped features being evident from the lack of club teams and less detailed editing modes mentioned).

I connected my Xbox controller to my laptop and played Rugby 08 on there a few months after I bought it, that provided a better gameplay experience. RWC 2011 is pretty repetitive in my opinion, as I felt I've been playing it since 2005, especially with the lack of new animations. Can't fault the audio though, the change in commentators is refreshing, and the crowd audio is pretty good too.

Saying that, I'm definitely going to buy a rugby game, which one depends on how good (or bad) rugby challenge is.

I think that its an average game, but since it's the only one for the time being I'm gonna have to pick it up. The demo on easy doesn't do it any favours. A couple of things ... once you master the fend / sidestep (Right Analogue stick) your gonna score a ton of tries. I easily got to scoring over 40 points in the demo. Also just to show how poor the "Easy" level AI is and how that bunching is still an issue i urge you to try this and see for yourself. Play as the boks and give the ball to a speedy back and then run all the way back to your own in goal in a diagonal line ans watach the entire opposing team chase you, when they get close, then run across the field and choose your moments to press the sprint button and you will guarantee to score a try. I hope the other difficulties will not have this issue present. I wish i could record a video of this and put it on youtube to show how poor the bunching and AI is.

No PSN should be for all.. XBL is different as the Service for Gold includes getting demo's 2 odd weeks in advance than silver I say advance but what it really means is MS holds back silver users from getting the demo's etc for 2 odd weeks.

I seem to be one of the few on here who actually like it...
Rucking is a good step in the right direction. Loving the chip kick I have to say. Great to see the old drop goal system back.

To me, the game is overall, smoother and there seems to be that bit more control over players at times, when they would be sucked straight into the animation before.
The quick lineouts are now actually very good and work well. I don't like the over-simplified lineouts though to be honest.
Even on easy, the AI does seem more intelligent, though I would have liked medium to have been an option in the demo at least.
The guard defensive system helps to line up players for the tackle and I found it handy when back-peddling.

It does have a similar feel to 08, but I would recommend playing RWC 11 and then giving 08 a blast and you will notice the differences. I did anyways.
RWC11 isn't perfect but it's fun and addictive and a clear improvement over 08 in my eyes.

No PSN should be for all.. XBL is different as the Service for Gold includes getting demo's 2 odd weeks in advance than silver I say advance but what it really means is MS holds back silver users from getting the demo's etc for 2 odd weeks.
ok, I hope it! :)

thanks!

The game is easy to pick up and very fun. But no real differences to 08. I feel the stadium of eden park is a huge let down.

However played 2 real good games vs. AI where suprisingly i was challenged in both games.

First game i was South Africa.

Straight off the kick off England regathered the ball and a few phases later they were in to score in the corner through lewis moody. The try was converted my flood to make it 7 - 0

From here on I dominated. Building phases the english defence crumbled letting in 4 unanswered trys. Two trys to Fourie, One to Burger and Steyn. Fourie scored his second try of the game off the last play of the game, used the set peice very well.

Full Time: South Africa 28 England 7

Game 2 was a much better contest throughout the 5min game.

Again england scored first through Hape to make it 7 - 0 very early in the game.

Moments later Ashton crossed to take the lead out to 12 - 0

However a massive comeback from south africa of 3 unanswered trys made the score 21-12 with 15 minutes to play.

South Africa then infringed in the ruck right in front of the posts. Toby flood converted the penalty to make it 21-15.

All hope was lost for england as firstly Habana scored a brilliant 80m try to make it 28-15 and then Steyn scored a late converted try to wrap up the game 35-15.

I enjoyed these games and would love to play on a higher difficulty. I love it how u can pick and go with the forwards and run with the halfback off the rucks.

But there hasnt been a great improvement at all from 08 which leaves me thinking, what have Hb been up to.

Cheers

Latest posts