• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RWC 2011 Demo - Your thoughts?

Why does the Commentator pronounce Hape Happy? Pretty disrespectful.
Oddly enough, that's how Shontayne Hape pronounces it

I've heard it pronounced to rhyme with Shape, like Harpy and like Happy, but Happy seems to be the 'correct' one

Right, I would be wrong then! That means I've been pronouncing it wrong all these years then.

I'm still playing the game now so it must be doing something right.

Just been playing the Demo for the last hour, and although i enjoyed 08, i would have rather have something new, or a ton more refined than the same old clunky game with slightly updated graphics and a new rucking mechanism. I enjoyed playing the demo on my ps3, but i think ill just go back to playing 08 on my pc with the TRF mod. To me the game seems to familiar, and i want something new out of a rugby ***le.

One thing I hate is the breakdown the turn overs are annoying, the whole tap x just doesn't do it for me it's way too unconsistent I'd much prefer the old system in 08. Another thing support play where is it ?? it's pretty much non existent when you make a line break the closest player is like 10M back. All in all I enjoyed it a little improvement.

Graphics wasn't expecting much but I thought they could've put more effort into the players body shape and likeness in paticular the exclusive licenced times, It's almost like those teams aren't licenced as most of the players look nothing like them..

That's just the things off the top of my head I cringed at while playing, I did find it fun I see what people meant by fast, free flowing but yea was expecting more in paticular with the game play.

Not everyone who hated this demo is on the sidhe bandwagon... If rugby challenge comes out and it sucks balls, I'll be the first one to tell sidhe that... And then I'll just have to chose the lesser of 2 evils.. RWC or RC...

Gotta have one of em

I'd like to think I've got a pretty unbiased opinion on this, here's my thoughts:

Positives:

- It feels a little faster and smoother than Rugby 08.
- The rucking mechanism, on the most part, works well and puts a bit more control in the player's hands
- The defensive AI is a little smarter, meaning that the old tactic of sideways, sideways, sideways - STRAIGHT! doesn't really work
- The quick taps are actually quick
- I think the fringe attack options are a big improvement on Rugby 08

The negatives:

- The bunching, just as bad as before
- The inability of attacking AI to stand in intelligent positions so you can effectively finish off 2-on-1s
- I hate the new quick steal feature. It's supposed to happen when a player is isolated, but 90% of the time my forwards are standing around watching it happen
- Superman tackles, and the fact that dive actions get interrupted still by tackles
- The commentary, although well 'acted', has some seriously crap content
- There is still that ludicrous 'tackle in the air' which you have no control over - it's infuriating!
- AND (is it just me?) the little cut-scenes in between plays never focus on the player who's been involved in the relevant action, AND the view is always from behind. Is this because HB weren't confident with the likeness of players?

Overall, it's fun, and yet I'm disappointed.

I understand they don't have a Fifa budget, but in my opinion this doesn't expand enough. Some of the glitches still haven't been ironed out and there isn't enough new stuff to really make it feel like a next gen game. Don't get me wrong, it's still fun - that was never the problem. But even with decent gameplay, I can't see how the game can have a sufficient life-span to make it worth purchasing for a lot of people. Even without the club teams, a Countries league or create-a -tournament would do wonders for it. EA Rugby World Cup 1995 on the Sega Mega Drive had these options - and a lot of extra (non-qualified and unlicensed) countries to play as.

I'm a sucker, and will probably still buy it. But will others do the same?

On the demo - 5/10 for me.

what i think should be in the game is when you have a scrum arows would tell you which way you are pushing the scrum. I think it worked well and should be in the game :)

Rating: Demo not enough provided to rate properly.

The controls are pretty much Rugby 08 but what else was expected. FIFA & Pro Evolution 1 to 5000 (lol) have had have had the same control buttons forever. Yes there have been a few tweaks here and there but RWC 2011 also have a fair amount. Drop kicks, rucks, mauls are all improved slightly. Nice addition in the kicking dept with the NEW chip. I play END ON usually so the SIDE ON angle is a little strange. It is way better than the 08 side on angle in my opinion. I may even stick to this angle in the full version. Only thing I was unhappy about was the lineout controls. It seems limited - hope that has something to do with a skill setting or option.

In my opinion I do feel that this game has been pushed out quickly for a number of reasons.

1. Rugby World Cup Timing
2. Demand
3. Income

With regards to INCOME. I do think that HB Studios will release a game with more depth after RWC 2011 game sales which will boost coffers and will allow them to put more features and game modes to create depth in the game (Think, Ashes Cricket & Intenational Cricket which followed shortly). I think a lot of time and effort has gone into obtaining licences for this release.

It would be great if add ons (compos etc) were possible much like NEW COURSES in Tiger Woods Golf. Who knows, maybe this is the thinking. Use the exisitng RWC2011 game and purchase extra tournies. Can anybody at HB Studios confirm whether this is or is not on the cards. It would definately see a sharp rise in sales if possible.

One think when it says stadiums it has it says Murrayfield, Milennium stadium, Twickenham and the home of Irish rugby? Why?

One think when it says stadiums it has it says Murrayfield, Milennium stadium, Twickenham and the home of Irish rugby? Why?
I reckon that because RC have the license to the Aviva prem that they have the license to the name "Aviva" - so they may have an "Aviva Stadium" which looks nothing like the real one, whereas RWC will have the real stadium which is renamed "Dublin Stadium" or something

Audio tip
turn everything down a notch or 2, then crowd noise to the max.......turn up your stereo/sound so that menu music sounds normal
then sit back and enjoy free tickets to the game!!!!

I just put the commentary up all the way as i find it's too quiet.

Demo i have decided is a good piece of fun. The dummy passing and the lob kick are lovely features, and i just scored an epic try with Flood against my brother. Line out about 15 metres out, Easter collects at the back, passes to Flood who does an awesome dummy pass who bamboozles the South Africans, but still with the full back to beat, and hands him off and just goes over. Got to say i loved that try, but i couldn't see it all in the replay again as the dummy was so good. I almost thought for a second it didn't happen. The game is definitely a lot better, but i'm just gutted there is no longetivity here. 20 teams, and the fact that too many things haven't been fixed which should have been priorities. Graphics aren't great but for me is what i expected and are fine for me. It's just a shame thing haven't been fixed otherwise it would be a great rugby game. Still believe it's worth £15-£20 tops so RC it still is for me.

this game is almost the same as rugby 08, and one major problem that hasnt been fixed is the fact that on defense u can just start sprinting at the reciever before he gets the ball and then just nail him with a diving tackle, forcing a ruck 5 metres behind the gain line or forcing a knock on, its just a bit fake really...

this game is almost the same as rugby 08, and one major problem that hasnt been fixed is the fact that on defense u can just start sprinting at the reciever before he gets the ball and then just nail him with a diving tackle, forcing a ruck 5 metres behind the gain line or forcing a knock on, its just a bit fake really...

I haven't played the demo but definitely haven't been impressed with some of the vids i've seen. I used to exploit that tackling-the-receiver flaw all the time in 08 losing them at least 30 metres.. If that hasn't been fixed then i don't see how i'll lose unless it's 0-0. So the demo's difficulty is easy right... well i don't see how harder difficulties will fix that flaw. Eeeek.

I haven't played the demo but definitely haven't been impressed with some of the vids i've seen. I used to exploit that tackling-the-receiver flaw all the time in 08 losing them at least 30 metres.. If that hasn't been fixed then i don't see how i'll lose unless it's 0-0. So the demo's difficulty is easy right... well i don't see how harder difficulties will fix that flaw. Eeeek.

yh it is on easy but i dont think the difficulty will change it. and it will be so frustrating to play with online too

Right then, maybe its just me but I've just switched TV's and played it on my big 50 inch (yes i'm a smug bugger :p), and noticed that in the Team selection screen has a category above the team names - "International". Now being a World cup game, it should be obvious that it contains all international sides surely??? Just a spot, and Adrenaline is pumping after a mighty Gym sesh, so its probs just my brain working over time.. But could this be a hint to "Representative" or unlockable sides. One can only dream i guess.

Played quite a few games against friends, and we all can't wait for full version to get our RWC 11 Drinking rules underway :D

Now being a World cup game, it should be obvious that it contains all international sides surely??? Just a spot, and Adrenaline is pumping after a mighty Gym sesh, so its probs just my brain working over time.. But could this be a hint to "Representative" or unlockable sides. One can only dream i guess.

TVH11, a nice idea but I'm going to have to poo-poo all over it - this is a question I'd asked AJ during one of the recent Q&A's and while he liked the idea he said not in this version due to their scope on gathering licenses but possibly for the future.

I'd have liked having them in even if unlicensed as they would be valid opponents during the warm-up tours, but I reckon their inclusion would have needed extra work in terms of a squad selector/editor to pull players from different nationalities, so they just cut it... licenses or not.

Latest posts