• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2019][Pool A] Round 2 - Scotland vs. Samoa (30/09/2019)

What about the other fella?
They're still deciding, but no way will he play this game.

Nanai Williams was pretty awful in that last game, maybe he should shift to centre so at least he doesn't have to catch high balls. Alapati at 12. That would be a lethal combo on attack if Timmy still has anything left in him (really was awful). Combinations is what they really need, that they've been lacking in the last 5 or so years.

They don't have great outside backs though so I doubt we'll see this combo as they'll likely want to use at least one of these guys in the outside backs.

Another option is Tim at 10, alapati 12 (would have been a good combo if leelo was available for 13), and have pisi at fullback

samoa would go a long long way if they just used some brains. that russian game the sa's played stupid and inpatient.
intelligence wouldve gone a long way ion that fame

Alapati at 12. That would be a lethal combo on attack if Timmy still has anything left in him (really was awful). Combinations is what they really need, that they've been lacking in the last 5 or so years.

They don't have great outside backs though so I doubt we'll see this combo as they'll likely want to use at least one of these guys in the outside backs.

Another option is Tim at 10, alapati 12 (would have been a good combo if leelo was available for 13), and have pisi at fullback

Close but Alapatz isn't really a 12 (he can play there). He is a 13 though and a very good one. Pisi isn't a full back either but he has mostly been playing 12 for the past two years or so so I would consider a 12/13 combo of those two but only if Pisi can do the full 80 at 12. Plus that centre partnership has recent experience of playing together in those roles.

Pisi did a decent job at 10 though so likely want to keep him there. Difficult situation.

more i'd say. lee-lo is lucky to get only 3 weeks.
motu's hit was way more reckless.
I thought he was unlucky to get that large a ban but I guess the precedent has been set. Matu'u probably deserves longer, very reckless.

I think these bans are really going to impact Samoa who were looking pretty good when focused.

Close but Alapatz isn't really a 12 (he can play there). He is a 13 though and a very good one. Pisi isn't a full back either but he has mostly been playing 12 for the past two years or so so I would consider a 12/13 combo of those two but only if Pisi can do the full 80 at 12. Plus that centre partnership has recent experience of playing together in those roles.

Pisi did a decent job at 10 though so likely want to keep him there. Difficult situation.
Alapati has played plenty at 12 and I reckon it's his best position. Tusi some at 15, but that is interesting that tusi has been playing 12. Tim at 10, tusi 12, alapati 13 could be excellent. So long as they have 3 good outside backs to choose from.

I think they are struggling from the fact that their best players can play multiple positions, meaning they are able to put them places that allows to have all their best players on the field. I would go the other way, if possible, and put them where they are most effective.

In form tim is their best and most creative attacker. We know he can play anywhere in the backs, so put him where he is most effective.

I've got
5NNlvmMvHhY8uhBVnw63S8B9FkB-FEjjQiZwm4x4YnXDt4S9tZbFK5wj9nENF5UNJskVSUUkZlf7Lj7uMIjVTDmmRzE_BaIXfzAT_PvnBf-G8rSnnjm0Pxrg9vE4bgc33Mjx_Y0pFrd9cRNu32AC44EBE3SFeOQ3XK9R5jT992m6o1hvLe3AT4Z5pUsvUd4QpjQJmnqiGHhdJAlA_xwmkFB22Jo_X6RJzaIuZx7t4jq5JI2a5ot_QsnVJbUJKKaJgzpAEFcAx_Xa22hOTt6spHcH_YjfKuZzpmfhrOfXABhU_u1SXFodK8pGnfQgv_dbcIAVnh0QeiY5eV0IBAvTB23ZsoKc6_GMx4_6Vct9pq6Y3XL-627KpxeE8JIp0QyANQ-ndn0CbxXUN9n0MjZ1I4yD0iE85g__PKJHAJcolXpVfsR4rZLpYu5_cRHzaQ2VUXsN2s7i2_WIG_8ALENo0yAJ08JMSNKJ07UtCb2kSgMajtt5iKaxz6JTMiGx_WnDnTStR_cMgu-MvxW_9Ep1wYOO6PgU1pY7eOdzyTLMf1Blnt3dzjHy2YzBizPojtsAuFwRwQSN-uqLW7yF9pmlPkfDjzFGxkrwMwIe8V4y-zBDVcEBxyuC7TPEAxW1bJcramZmjMuZCtESsqBFiSyXB0eIosuByNJjAKWUffmBvrxYfBoBzAOFfkI=w150-h73-no
winning this one.

So this (and Japan v Samoa) suddenly matters in a big way. If Scotland don't pick up a bonus point win and Japan do they could be out with a game to spare.

Scotland: 15 Stuart Hogg, 14 Darcy Graham, 13 Chris Harris, 12 Sam Johnson, 11 Sean Maitland, 10 Finn Russell, 9 Greig Laidlaw, 8 Blade Thomson, 7 Jamie Ritchie, 6 Magnus Bradbury, 5 Jonny Gray, 4 Grant Gilchrist, 3 Willem Nel, 2 Stuart McInally (c), 1 Allan Dell

Replacements: 16 Fraser Brown, 17 Gordon Reid, 18 Zander Fagerson, 19 Scott Cummings, 20 Ryan Wilson, 21 George Horne, 22 Adam Hastings, 23 Duncan Taylor

I think Scotland are desperate for continuity at centre, but Taylor gets dropped after his very ordinary showing. D'Arcy finally makes a showing. I think Scotland would win this in almost any circumstances and the suspension of a couple of Samoan's certainly doesn't hurt Scottish chances. Hard to evaluate Samoa but assuming they can put in a reasonable showing I dont think Scotland will cut them open all that often.

Scotland by 17

So this (and Japan v Samoa) suddenly matters in a big way. If Scotland don't pick up a bonus point win and Japan do they could be out with a game to spare.

Would that not make it Japan on 14 and Scotland on 9 (assuming they then got a BP win against Russia). I think they'd still be in it for the final game regardless, but with a bit of a mountain to climb. So I agree it adds interest to this match for Scotland to collect a BP win here, but it wouldn't be fatal for them if not?

Now Scotland need 5-point wins from Samoa and Russia, and hope Samoa and Russia will do well against Ireland and Japan.

Not convinced by the positional selections for Samoa. Happy that alapati is in the midfield at least. Apart from my views on the backs, which I expressed earlier, I don't like that jack lam is at number 8. Should be 7.

More kicking with Maitland chasing will be a good go to for Scotland particularly to Tim based on how Poor he was last time around.

Scotland really need to win this one. Otherwise they may finish 4th in their pool. I can't imagine Scotland having to go through qualifying

I don't like that jack lam is at number 8. Should be 7.
Used to be the case but Lam picked up a fairly bad injury a couple of years ago and hasn't been as dynamic since and mostly played 8 afterwards for Bristol. I think he'll be fine, he has bulked up a bit too for that position.

Hope we go well.

Scotland should win but will no doubt do it the hard way. Expect a nightmare from a defence coach's perspective. Might see one or two cards if Samoa continue where they left off against Russia as I can see the officials more likely to take action on the field rather than waiting for citations.

Looking forward to seeing D'Arcy jink his way though these massive units and a new back row in action. Jamie Ritchie is a talent and Bradbury adds some much needed physicality. Blade Thomson looks like an upgrade on Ryan Wilson at 8. Pity Hamish Watson had to fly back with a knee injury but Ritchie can do a job at 7.

Latest posts