• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2019][Pool A] Round 4 - Japan vs. Scotland (13/10/2019)

Ah now South Africa will become the hated/bad guys once we end their fairytale and knock them out of the World Cup.

Yeah probably. I remember unjustifiably hating them in 2007 for pouring water on both the Fiji and Argentina runs.

The big party pooping bullies. Boo.

Laidlaw "No they didn't really catch us off-guard, we gave them some easy points and let them back in the game".

Nope it was all Japan mate. They were just better.

Laidlaw "No they didn't really catch us off-guard, we gave them some easy points and let them back in the game".

Scotland's execution was poor, as was decision making from Russell. Not taking away from what Japan did, but that was a sub-par Scottish performance.

Scotland's execution was poor, as was decision making from Russell. Not taking away from what Japan did, but that was a sub-par Scottish performance.

Can you think of a time when a Scottish player has ever praised their opposition rather than making out it was Scotlands game and they just lost it themselves?

Let them back in the game...?

If it was a Japanese player who'd said that, then sure - Japan dominated the majority of the game before letting Scotland back in at the end.
Delusional.

I get that, but the Japanese off-loading and accuracy was superb, that's not giving them easy points, that's them earning their points. Just comes across as Laidlaw still thinking Scotland are the better side and they just played poorly. Japan earned the win, same as against Ireland and should definitely be considered Tier 1 and get support to stay that way.

The Ireland game wasn't last
Wasnt their toughest opponent either, hence my point. I can see how you disagree, but that is not the point.
Most tier 1 teams need to win one "big game" to qualify. Exceptionally two (arg,france.eng case). Those gaes take a significant toll.
Japan had to beat two tier 1 nations, one of them being the last game group game for them. South Africa's schedule leading to the QF game allows them much to be much more rested.

In fact, South Africa losing the opening game to New Zealand (accidental, as in not planned) could very well be the best thing that happened to them.
Their end of the bracket is as good as it gets.

Congratulations Japan. Did nothing particularly fancy - triumphed by playing solid, quick, disciplined, passionate rugby. They wanted it! Good for them! Seems there's a lot of truth in the maxim that if you take care of the basics, then the result will take care of itself.

As for Scotland... ? Time to scrap this fanciful (and now frankly ridiculous) notion of playing the 'worlds fastest rugby'. We haemorrhaged points in this tournament by rushing the play and trying to be flash. And this is no fresh revelation - we've seen it every time we've come up against Ireland (the current masters of steady game management). Such a shame as we have the players to give anyone a game on their day, but they've been misdirected horribly by the management team.

In short, the harem-scarem Townsend style of play will occasionally catch the eye and will occasionally capture the odd big scalp, but it WILL NOT win the team a tournament!

Apologies to Japan, but I just can't take a team seriously (in terms of being a legitimate contender) that has this many random reject players from other countries.

Joseph must be a great coach to get this much out of a limited pool of talent. To be fair they are pretty disciplined and stick to the game plan well. First half they mercilessly targeted Graham and got a couple tries through his wing.

If I were the Rugby Championship I'd get Japan in asap!
The Six Nations could be an option too provided it was agreed that home games involving Japan are at 8pm JST (12pm in the UK and Ireland) and when Japan play away, it's no later than a 9pm JST (1pm UK and Ireland) start. A population with 125 million people in it would be a hell of a lot more attractive to the Six Nations than Georgia with less than 4 million people living there and nowhere near as advanced an economy. Given the CVC investment, I'm sure they'll be pushing the existing Six Nations to grow revenue streams.

Brilliant win for Japan. Hopefully they kick on from here and become a consistently strong rugby nation. Their ball handling skills put the European nations to shame.

EDIT - Scotland's failures aren't all due to Gregor Townsend and have more to do with the players not being good enough.

**** yeah Japan. Go on lads. Definitively tier 1 after EJ claiming they didn't want rugby to progress.

What I wouldn't give to have a full strength Fiji and Japan in the rugby championship.

**** yeah Japan. Go on lads. Definitively tier 1 after EJ claiming they didn't want rugby to progress.

What I wouldn't give to have a full strength Fiji and Japan in the rugby championship.

I definitely feel like teams playing twice the RC isn't as exciting, especially when NZ have been in form. You have 6 games where you know who is going to win. If the Rugby Championship could find a way to include Japan and Fiji for example then it would be great.

Apologies to Japan, but I just can't take a team seriously (in terms of being a legitimate contender) that has this many random reject players from other countries.

Joseph must be a great coach to get this much out of a limited pool of talent. To be fair they are pretty disciplined and stick to the game plan well. First half they mercilessly targeted Graham and got a couple tries through his wing.

Same thought has crossed my mind but to be fair to Japan who doesn't do this nowadays? The home nations are all bolstered by overseas players to give an edge in perceived positions where there isnt the locally bred talent. It's just a bit more blatant with Japan due to the native ethnicity. That being said I'm not sure how many foreign players are in their squad so off to check....

Same thought has crossed my mind but to be fair to Japan who doesn't do this nowadays? The home nations are all bolstered by overseas players to give an edge in perceived positions where there isnt the locally bred talent. It's just a bit more blatant with Japan due to the native ethnicity. That being said I'm not sure how many foreign players are in their squad so off to check....
@Grizwald
http://www.rugbyrebels.co/board/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3855

Based purely on place of birth (a terrible measure)
Tonga: 17
Japan: 16
Samoa: 16
USA: 15
Scotland: 14
Australia: 12
Italy: 8
Wales: 8
Overall mean: 6.9
England: 6
France: 6
Median: 5.5