• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2023 QF3] England vs Fiji (15/10/2023)

15. Marcus Smith (Harlequins, 28 caps)
14. Jonny May (Gloucester Rugby, 76 caps)
13. Joe Marchant (Stade Francais, 23 caps)
12. Manu Tuilagi (Sale Sharks, 56 caps)
11. Elliot Daly (Saracens, 62 caps)
10. Owen Farrell – captain (Saracens, 109 caps)
9. Alex Mitchell (Northampton Saints, 9 caps)
1. Ellis Genge – vice-captain (Bristol Bears, 55 caps)
2. Jamie George (Saracens, 82 caps)
3. Dan Cole (Leicester Tigers, 104 caps)
4. Maro Itoje (Saracens, 73 caps)
5. Ollie Chessum (Leicester Tigers, 15 caps)
6. Courtney Lawes – vice-captain (Northampton Saints, 103 caps)
7. Tom Curry (Sale Sharks, 47 caps)
8. Ben Earl (Saracens, 22 caps)

Replacements

16. Theo Dan (Saracens, 6 caps)
17. Joe Marler (Harlequins, 86 caps)
18. Kyle Sinckler (Bristol Bears, 66 caps)
19. George Martin (Leicester Tigers, 7 caps)
20. Billy Vunipola (Saracens, 73 caps)
21. Danny Care (Harlequins, 93 caps)
22. George Ford – vice-captain (Sale Sharks, 89 caps)
23. Ollie Lawrence (Bath Rugby, 18 caps)

England team to face Fiji

England: Smith; May, Marchant, Tuilagi, Daly; Farrell (capt), Mitchell; Genge, George, Cole, Itoje, Chessum, Lawes, Curry, Earl.

Replacements: Dan, Marler, Sinckler, Martin, Vunipola, Care, Ford, Lawrence.

Happy enough with that. It would be harsh to drop Ford given his form. Fingers crossed there's no early requirement to shuffle the backs as I'd imagine its going to involved shuffling a lot of positions, not sure 3 tens in the match day 23 are required Ford is a 10 and that's it

Freddie Steward totally dropped. Hope he can pick himself back up but it's totally deserved in form.

Billy dropped to the bench which is good. Although shouldn't be in the team.

Three fly halves is a luxury with no back 3 cover (Daly at a push).

I mean I do prefer Farrell at 10 over him at 12, but he'd still be my third choice there

Rest of the side I'm happy enough with, though still nervous about Smith at 15. Second ever start in your career there and it's a world cup knockout? Not questioning his bottle, at all, but instincts under pressure take time to embed - will Fiji put the required pressure on?

Not sure how this game will go. On the one hand I think Fji look like they've blown their beans already and England should win, on the other I think how much England struggled vs Samoa throwing the ball about and how Fiji are much better than Samoa are. Could be a bit of a cripple fight - definitely the lowest quality of any of the quarters

Not going to be watching this until Monday, but won't be avoiding the scoreline. Did similar for the England/France game in the 6N, made our capitulation much funnier without the nerves of seeing it happen in real-time

Yeh, apart from Farrell at 10, which is no surprise, a pretty good team and bench.

Disgusted in that team selection personally.
were you honestly expecting Borthwick to change it for this world cup? he's blatantly been given the instructions to "not make an arse of it" hence him playing the dullest rugby ever with a team of reliable and proven players that won't see another WC.

I like the midfield and I like Smith playing because we need a bit of unpredictability to put back on the Fijians.

I don't like May at 14- he's a left winger at best and he isn't currently at his best.

Cole has to step up and give us a big 50 minutes, and Farrell needs to bring Smith into the equation as much as possible.

Vunipola on the bench I just don't agree with- hope to see Sam Underhill if we are fortunate enough to progress to a SF.

I guess good things are I like second row and back row starters, and I like the midfield and Smiths inclusion from 15 as a bit of unpredictability.

I like the midfield and I like Smith playing because we need a bit of unpredictability to put back on the Fijians.

I don't like May at 14- he's a left winger at best and he isn't currently at his best.

Cole has to step up and give us a big 50 minutes, and Farrell needs to bring Smith into the equation as much as possible.

Vunipola on the bench I just don't agree with- hope to see Sam Underhill if we are fortunate enough to progress to a SF.

I guess good things are I like second row and back row starters, and I like the midfield and Smiths inclusion from 15 as a bit of unpredictability.

There are much better qualified wingers back at home preparing for the premiership to start this weekend.

Smith will be the headline, but he's brought something everytime he's been on the pitch. He looks like he's added a bit of weight to me actually, I think he's pretty powerful for his stature.

Ludlum on the bench would offer far more cover the Billy. I guess Martin covers lock and 6.

Surely after the RWC next 6N the likes of Murely, OHC etc will get a run.

Mitchell and Farrell as a combo sounds terrible in my eyes

Mitchell strength is being erratic, the opposite of farrell

Centres look good
Smith isn't a 15 but should be fine v Fiji in terms of kicking game

Daly on the wing to cover for smith positionally makes sense

I reckon we've got something like 864 caps in the starting XV and 438 on the bench. That lot ought to be able to problem solve against what is still a lower ranked, and much worse resourced, team.

Smith we've done to death but is a definite risk, doubled up by playing him with Daly. Cole's either tearing up trees in training or Stuart isn't, either way he'll have to do some good destructive scrummaging to justify his selection in a game unlikely to suit his strengths.

Fiji will also have noticed that's not a super quick or powerful backline and that we have 6 players over 32 starting and something like 12 of the 23 are 30+.

We should win, but it's easy to see a scenario where we don't.

And if we don't, Borthwick's record would include our worst ever home defeat, two losses to Fiji, a streaky one point win against Samoa and red cards something like every 3 and a bit games. Quite apart from the poor results with the most experienced England squad ever. That would be starting to look untenable to me. Certainly wouldn't be a compelling case for overseeing a long term rebuild.

Latest posts