• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Sam Burgess U Turn

I guess English folk just ignore the press, or just choose their selected outlets and journos, the Sam Burgess criticism was wide spread, on social media and media outlets, stop pretending like it wasn't.
Can you provide a few sources?

Not being facetious, I am actually interested to know if this is the case.

Sorry, not to be rude, but I really can't be arsed going back a few weeks and scouring archived news pages, media outlets and facebook/twitter posts.. that's a hard ask mate.

Sorry, not to be rude, but I really can't be arsed going back a few weeks and scouring archived news pages, media outlets and facebook/twitter posts.. that's a hard ask mate.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence."

Man his lone contributions to England rugby were a great full force tackle of Ian Madigan in a match that was already won (to the best of my recollection), a good enough defensive performance vs Wales (but skinned by Scott Williams) and then several knock ons and a high swinging arm tackle on Hooper that should have been a yellow.

A poor overall performance by Burgess. Screwed over by management in a way but he just wasn't very good.

Man his lone contributions to England rugby were a great full force tackle of Ian Madigan in a match that was already won (to the best of my recollection), a good enough defensive performance vs Wales (but skinned by Scott Williams) and then several knock ons and a high swinging arm tackle on Hooper that should have been a yellow.

A poor overall performance by Burgess. Screwed over by management in a way but he just wasn't very good.

Nonsense . I think you should stop getting your idea of what rugby is from the rugby banter page .....

Having watched Sam in League I know that he is a tremendous leader and has great speed of thought. When he has had more time in Union he will be an excellent player - as good as Jason Robinson! He did nor lose for us, I think that you will find that we were ahead on points all of the periods that he played but he was more used for his defensive skills rather than his offensive skills. Personally I would like in the future Cipriani as No 10 and have Sam as O/C especially if he can develop a good kicking game, which he will - he is such a good all round player! Farrell should (like Jenkins for the Lions) be moved to full back - great kicker, great defender but not attacking. Cipriani would offer inside threat and with an attacking I/C would offer alternatives.

The reason why Sthn Hm have done so well is their attacking options, unfortunately we only had these in the back three which was easier to nullify than having a truly attacking back line. Years ago Carling and Guscott were successful because Carling could break the tackle, whereas Guscott could run around it - if you defended one heavier than the other then they could score!

I agree with my mate that the breakdown is the real killer and Robshaw unfortunately is not a Ritchie McCaw. Maybe if we selected worldwide such as the Armitage brothers then we might have had some more ball.

I guess English folk just ignore the press, or just choose their selected outlets and journos, the Sam Burgess criticism was wide spread, on social media and media outlets, stop pretending like it wasn't.

I would say most rugby fans in England, or at least the ones I know, tend to go to sources they know and trust. This doesn't involve many of the sensationalist outlets that barely cover rugby outside of a home World Cup.

I haven't seen too many examples of Burgess being blamed through his own actions. I did think it was the wrong decision to take him though.

Can you blame him?
He got screwed over by the English management.
Copped bucketloads of abuse by the media and the public.
He returns to a side that he loves, in a position that he excels at and surrounded by his family.
A no brainer for me

Yeah I still want to see this "abuse"

I'm going to ask every poster to provide a link who claims it happens now.

I'm so angry about this, both at England and at Burgess.

England pushed him into the position where he had looked unconvincing at best, ignoring the fact that his best performances came at 6. I'm fairly sure that had he been omitted from the wc squad and instead had a full pre-season learning his game at 6 for Bath, he would've had an excellent season. Instead, he wasted 4 months playing a position he was never going to succeed in (especially not before the world cup).

However, I'm also angry at Burgess. What's the point of coming to a completely new sport if, after 1 average season where you show potential, you quit and run back? What did he expect? To lead England to a rwc win?

The whole thing has been a shambles of mismanagement and lack of communication between Bath and England. If we had a S15 structure, he would have played in a position which was mutually agreed, and this whole situation would've been avoided.

Latest posts