• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Scotland to take Player Poaching to the next level.

LeinsterMan (NotTigsMan)

G.O.A.T
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Ireland
Club or Nation
Leicester
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/ru...-current-international-eligibility-rules.html

With the Job ***le of:

International Resettlement Advisor
Job is:
“To advise and assist Scottish Rugby with the identification, recruitment, relocation, resettlement and integration of professional rugby players, coaches and other employees (and their families, as required) from overseas, particularly those from the Southern Hemisphere.â€

Hahaha, what a farce.

Thank god we got professionalism right early on. Had things gone differently we could be in the same position as the Scots.

It's the SRU just going
[video]https://youtu.be/oJimiVFCjJ0?t=4s[/video]

What the F**K is that rubbish, whats the point off it really.

We don't need foreign players in our team, That is 100% no guarantee's Scott Johnston idea. Is this going to really to help Scotland become better ?. No it will make us worse then what we are already. The national will look better but it won't be better for Young rugby players in Scotland knowing that our national team is full off Kiwi's or South African's. If you want to improve the game in Scotland, bringing in foreigners is not the way to do it. Our team on form with very few mistakes is capable off beating any team in the six nations. Don't blame the players for not winning games blame the coaches and the system. What we need to do to improve our game is quite simply discipline from the players in the current squad. Foreigners won't make it any different.

Home talent is the most important part off being a successful nation in Rugby. Scotland may not have the best off players but at-least there is big interest in the sport here. Look at the Scotland under 20's this year. We never really had a good under 20's team but look at them this year they had they're best ever result with 3 win's in the under 20's six nations and finished 7th in the under 20's world cup (i think).The under 18's also looks like they have some exciting talent to look out for in the future and the best part is from what i'm aware off. The players are born and players they're rugby in Scotland. The sport is growing here again, WE don't want a step down and if you want to bring foreigners in to ruin grassroot rugby in Scotland and decrease home talent in the national team in 5 - 10 years time the go ahead make Scotland a New Zealand or South Africa 'b' team. But it wont help.

- - - Updated - - -

Also Look at Eddie Jones with Japan, They use to get smashed by 100 points by team's like Wales and Scotland. Look at them now they are beating tier 1 nations. They didn't need foreigners to help them improve, Yes they had foreigners in they're team but most off them actually played a good 5 years in Japan before getting called up to the national team. Japan will be a nation to watch out for in the future they're home talent is improving aswell as they're national team. If Japan can do that with Eddie Jones then so can Scotland with Vern Cotter.

There are big numbers of players in NZ and SA with Scottish heritage. The Cape has towns called McGreggor and Clanwilliam etc but I suspect NZ would have more 'tangible' links if you are at least trying to have any. At least more recent links and the climate, language and culture would be a better fit as well not to mention the names. I mean WP Nel, Josh Strauss, hardly sound Scottish.

Hahaha, what a farce.

Thank god we got professionalism right early on. Had things gone differently we could be in the same position as the Scots.

This is a deliberately sarcastic statement right?

Is this not just Sean Lineens job?

I'm sure his role was talent identification, specifically overseas and project players.

*edit: looks like it:http://www.scottishrugby.org/news/12/03/12/sean-lineen-and-gregor-townsend-take-new-roles-1
no he is Scotland under 20's head coach even though i'm not sure if he has a second job with the SRU or not. That article you posted was 3 years ago when Gregor Townsend decided to step down from Scotland's assistant coach and became Glasgow's head coach.

Edit* just saw Lineens also joined the under 20's coaching staff then. But by looking at it he was recruited as a head of player acquisition which is a key part of Scottish Rugby's performance plan, didn't quite mean bringing foreigners in though.

Last edited:
no he is Scotland under 20's head coach even though i'm not sure if he has a second job with the SRU or not. That article you posted was 3 years ago when Gregor Townsend decided to step down from Scotland's assistant coach and became Glasgow's head coach.

Edit* just saw Lineens also joined the under 20's coaching staff then. But by looking at it he was recruited as a head of player acquisition which is a key part of Scottish Rugby's performance plan, didn't quite mean bringing foreigners in though.

It did, he had a specific brief to identify non-scottish players - that's what acquisiton is, otherwise it would be talent identification and development.

Honestly it's the allocation of funds that irritates me. Instead of starting new youth clubs and progressing the grassroots level this is what we do for a cheap fix. Rubbish priorities, especially as the sru had told coaches of an increase to low level funding recently.

Honestly it's the allocation of funds that irritates me. Instead of starting new youth clubs and progressing the grassroots level this is what we do for a cheap fix. Rubbish priorities, especially as the sru had told coaches of an increase to low level funding recently.
Or what most off us wanted, A thrid professional team in Scotland which would help increase chances to play professional rugby in Scotland, definitely would help home talent.

Or what most off wanted in a long time, A thrid professional team in Aberdeen.

Yeah. I used to coach up there. With grammar, wanderers etc there is plenty of home grown talent. Sold out Pittodrie every time Scotland came to town.

There are big numbers of players in NZ and SA with Scottish heritage. The Cape has towns called McGreggor and Clanwilliam etc but I suspect NZ would have more 'tangible' links if you are at least trying to have any. At least more recent links and the climate, language and culture would be a better fit as well not to mention the names. I mean WP Nel, Josh Strauss, hardly sound Scottish.

Apparently there was a Scout from the "Leopards" at last week's Craven Week and he made some offers to certain players who performed well. When one of the talented youngsters, Pieter Jansen van Vuuren, was asked what he thought about the offer by one of the corresponding journalists, he said: "Ja Nee, you know it was verrry verrry strange to talk to that oke. He said his name was Peter Mcdonald, and that he wants to sign me for the "Leopards". He was a ginger ninja, and his english was not easy to understand, and I'm from Rustenburg!!" he went on to say, "I don't understand why I must go to Glasgow for a medical, when Doctor Mahlangu just gave him a clean bill of health last week"...

Apparently there was a Scout from the "Leopards" at last week's Craven Week and he made some offers to certain players who performed well. When one of the talented youngsters, Pieter Jansen van Vuuren, was asked what he thought about the offer by one of the corresponding journalists, he said: "Ja Nee, you know it was verrry verrry strange to talk to that oke. He said his name was Peter Mcdonald, and that he wants to sign me for the "Leopards". He was a ginger ninja, and his english was not easy to understand, and I'm from Rustenburg!!" he went on to say, "I don't understand why I must go to Glasgow for a medical, when Doctor Mahlangu just gave him a clean bill of health last week"...

LOL.

Not to derail the thread but I got real excited by WP smacking EP 95-0 in the final nogal! Scotland could do worse than looking at that WP u18 team.

LOL.

Not to derail the thread but I got real excited by WP smacking EP 95-0 in the final nogal! Scotland could do worse than looking at that WP u18 team.

Didnt that game have a try from a foward from about 50m out or did I dream seeing that?

Didnt that game have a try from a foward from about 50m out or did I dream seeing that?
Yep. Skip to 4:15. Biggest bloke on the field. Nothing close to Whitelock's try but still.

Horrible pitch, horrible ref, horrible defense from PE but still, the WP can only play what's in front of them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep. Skip to 4:15. Biggest bloke on the field. Nothing close to Whitelock's try but still.

Horrible pitch, horrible ref, horrible defense from PE but still, the WP can only play what's in front of them.

If you listen closely you'll hear the SRU scrabbling to see if he has a great, great aunt from somewhere outside Kilmarnock or if he's ever had haggis before

Last edited by a moderator:
So this thread has gone from discussing the difficulties Scotland face to just Scotland bashing very fast.