• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Scotland v Wales

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (noidsay @ Feb 8 2009, 05:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Wow the Welsh are defenseive, aren't they?[/b]
Defensive, maybe. Don't think we're being defenseive though.
And Jesus, you Irish are optimistic ain't ya? You sound a lot like us last year. ;) :eek: :mellow:

Disappointing.

[*]The scrum was shite after Cross went off for a stupid reason, Dickinson isn't a good scrummager...he's useful in the loose but we need good scrummagers.
[*]Jacobson was once again clumsy, he made a few good runs, but they didn't come to anything, sometimes I feel like he's there for comedy relief, because he looks like a little potato on top of a bigger potato, we need bulk up front, not chunk.
[*]I was happy with the pack otherwise, we just need a proper fetcher 7, like Ross Rennie and some good ball carrying, Barclay didn't do enough for me to secure a spot in the scrum next week, I'd say Strochkosch(sp?), Kelly Brown and Hogg next week, Taylor at second row and White on the bench to come on at half time.
[*]I'd pick Cusiter to start over Blair next week, he simply made more ground and it'd be good to let Blair know he's not untouchable.
[*] Morrison didn't do what he was on the field to do, Lamont tried at times but was negated by the Welsh back row, who were unstoppable.
[*] Hugo had a good game with the boot and bad game with ball in hand, I'd put Lamont or Paterson in his place next week, but keep him on the bench.
[*] We need M. Evans at 12 maybe, or at 13...Ben Cairns was simply outdone today, he's still young, he'll learn.
[*] If we don't pick Thom Evans next week, I want Frank Hadden out.
[*] We scored a try and didn't lose by the 40 points we deserved to at some points, that's one of the few good things we can take.
[*] THIS IS NOT AN EXCUSE TO BRING DAN PARKS INTO THE SQUAD NEXT WEEK, THERE IS NO EXCUSE FOR DAN PARKS TO BE INVOLVED IN ANY WAY, SHAPE OR FORM. NO TO DAN PARKS. DAN PARKS NO. DAN NO PARKS. NO TO DAN PARKS, FROM NOW UNTIL THE END OF TIME. I'D RATHER SEE NATHAN HINES AT STAND OFF THAN DAN PARKS. FAO FRANK HADDEN, DO NOT INCLUDE DAN PARKS NEXT WEEK. NO.
[*] This game was in no way "a step in the right direction", we are playing terribly, this must change.

Good call on the 'tackling' off the ball. Byrne and Phillips annoyed me a lot with that in the first half.

Blair was unimpressive today and getting dropped would certainly be the kick up the arse he needs, perhaps he's been listening to the hype a bit too much.

Disapointed with our team today. Paterson and Evans should have started, that was evident that they were only Scots really being creative.

But I thought the sending off of Cross was very harsh. Penalty, yes. But it was mistimed, and he was comitted to the tackle before Byrne jumped for it. So a sin binning was a bit harsh. Shame it led to a try - although Wales should have been penalised for trying to collapse the scrum (evident when you see Dickinson being pulled down).

Webster's boom was HUUUGE...you can lead with your head if you want, provided you wrap your arms around in the tackle, which he tdid before twatting his head off Williams.

We only played well for 20 minutes today. We were flat, one dimensional and limited. I hope, for Mr Hadden's sake that Evans and Paterson start next week....They were lively but didn't get much ball from the ineptitiude of our team. Knock ons, pointless kicking and a failure to secure the ball. We need to play a simple forwards based game for the first 20minutes, then start to bring our backline into it.

I was impressed with the Taffy's though I can't help but feel they will face a tougher test in coming weeks. Scotland, as ever, flat and limited. I think it is time Mr Hadden goes and the job is given to Andy Robinson. Embra play a fast, flowing and exciting brand of rugby...yet we know when to stick it up the jumper and play popo's rugger.

All in all, another dissapointing performance from us.

Yea Cusiter played well, but he wasnt having to deal with many scrums like Blair did. The Welsh ball was unbelievably quick, constantly helping them to create holes in the defense.

I didn't think Blair was bad, but I just thought the ball he was getting was poor. Quiet, rather than poor. Cusiter looked far more lively, so yes...i would perhaps start him next week - we've seen in the past that being dropped can be the kick up the arse a good player needs. I still felt he outplayed Phillips.

I felt for Bairnsy...didn't get much of the ball, and inspite of his size he did manage to make his share of tackles.

Wales pretty much neutralized everything good about Scotland, Phillips manhandled Blair, he still didn't play well.

Oh and aye, Williams...a true, world class No 7...IE a cheating barsteward!!!

Blair and Phillips were both pretty crap.
Can't see Blair getting dropped though, being the captain an' all. Hope he doesn't turn into a Peel during '07 in that he thinks he's invincible.

Gray however did impress once he came on. And I'm not just saying that because of club bias, he really did look tasty.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ Feb 8 2009, 06:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Gray however did impress once he came on. And I'm not just saying that because of club bias, he really did look tasty.[/b]
Right, but how do you think he played?

Pretty happy after that performance, i.e won pretty comfertouble at Murryfield without playing amazingly. There's soo much more to come, I guarantee it. Roberts had another great game, no-one seems to be able to handle him (good luck Flutey or even worse O'Gara and Wallace lol), but for me Shanklin wasn't great, scored a try, but was pretty ordinary otherwise (would be tempted to start Hehson next week if fit).

I thought Phillips played well, yes he's not the best scum half in the traditional sense, but his physicallity today was immense, he can pick-up bad ball from the bottom of rucks (the kind Peel refuses to pick-up and lets Scotland have it), hold off a couple of tacklers and still get the ball away, i.e. Wyn-Jones' try. I thought Gethin Jenkins was right up there for motm, immense scrum time, great tackling (that ankle tap was impresive) and good work ethic. Our lineout was somewhat improved I thought, but still not functioning as it should.

Quickly, I'd bring in Ryan Jones, Gavin Henson and possibly Hook for next week. It'll be a tough game (England always are), but we should get the result. As for France and Ireland, I'm more worried about France away, they looked very dangerous yesterday and should have possibly converted more oppertunities. Ireland I thought were also good, great result, but their kicking from hand was terrible (lucky it didn't cost them the game with France's counter attacking) and their midfield defense was also shocking at times (apart from O'Driscoll), I can see Roberts, Henson/Shanklin and Powell having a field day running against O'Gara and Wallace.

**** off, coke head.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sir. Speedy @ Feb 8 2009, 06:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ Feb 8 2009, 06:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Gray however did impress once he came on. And I'm not just saying that because of club bias, he really did look tasty.[/b]
Right, but how do you think he played?
[/b][/quote]

Seriously, he was a good runner in the loose, offloaded well, asked a lot of questions for the Welsh at the breakdown and made 1 superb quick turnover which stuck in my mind.

Aye, but his first contribution was giving away a penalty. See, like Williams he does some questionably legal things at rucktime (no jokes please), unlike Williams, he gets caught a bit. Still, I was impressed by him and I have been alot recently.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (edinburgh_gunner @ Feb 8 2009, 05:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Disapointed with our team today. Paterson and Evans should have started, that was evident that they were only Scots really being creative.

But I thought the sending off of Cross was very harsh. Penalty, yes. But it was mistimed, and he was comitted to the tackle before Byrne jumped for it. So a sin binning was a bit harsh. Shame it led to a try - although Wales should have been penalised for trying to collapse the scrum (evident when you see Dickinson being pulled down).

Webster's boom was HUUUGE...you can lead with your head if you want, provided you wrap your arms around in the tackle, which he tdid before twatting his head off Williams.

We only played well for 20 minutes today. We were flat, one dimensional and limited. I hope, for Mr Hadden's sake that Evans and Paterson start next week....They were lively but didn't get much ball from the ineptitiude of our team. Knock ons, pointless kicking and a failure to secure the ball. We need to play a simple forwards based game for the first 20minutes, then start to bring our backline into it.

I was impressed with the Taffy's though I can't help but feel they will face a tougher test in coming weeks. Scotland, as ever, flat and limited. I think it is time Mr Hadden goes and the job is given to Andy Robinson. Embra play a fast, flowing and exciting brand of rugby...yet we know when to stick it up the jumper and play popo's rugger.

All in all, another dissapointing performance from us.[/b]

Yes Webster was Boom was so "huge" he had to go of 5mins later! Where as Martyn aka 'The Nugget' got back straight on his feet where as "Boom Time" Webster stayed down!

Cross looked at the ball then looked and took Byrne out! Dont think that could be defended really!

Dickinson was also destroyed by Geth Jenkins this man is now got to be in contention for the test xv for the Lions!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cymro @ Feb 8 2009, 08:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (edinburgh_gunner @ Feb 8 2009, 05:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

All in all, another dissapointing performance from us.[/b]

Yes Webster was Boom was so "huge" he had to go of 5mins later! Where as Martyn aka 'The Nugget' got back straight on his feet where as "Boom Time" Webster stayed down!

Cross looked at the ball then looked and took Byrne out! Dont think that could be defended really!

Dickinson was also destroyed by Geth Jenkins this man is now got to be in contention for the test xv for the Lions!
[/b][/quote]

He always was in fairness, Sherridan did his chances no good yesterday either and Jenkins firmly put himself in the driving seat.

Latest posts