TRF_Cymro

Cymro The White
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Wales
Club or Nation
Barbarians
_51929871_barclay-kellock.jpg

Andy Robinson has withdrawn five members of his Scotland squad from club duty until the end of the season.

Edinburgh' Allan Jacobsen and Ross Ford and Glasgow Warriors trio John Barclay, Richie Gray and Alastair Kellock are to be rested for the Rugby World Cup.

"It's based on individual players and their programmes," said Robinson.

Warriors coach Sean Lineen and Edinburgh counterpart Nick Scrivener are said to be disappointed but understanding of the situation.

The Rugby World Cup starts in September, the same month as Edinburgh and Glasgow's Magners League campaigns are likely to begin.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/12913317.stm

That's......odd
Can't imagine the Edinburgh/Glasgow staff/fans are just "disappointed"

Hardly, wanting to ensure that players are looked after is showing that they are worried with the amount of games that are going on.

On top of that, shows there is to much rugby going on in the NH. Most of those players named have had some major injuries in the last year or so. Only right to protect them. I personally think its a blow for their clubs but obviously the clubs agreed to this otherwise there would be an outrage.

Last edited:
This is a ridiculous call...

The Players won't get any match fitness and we still have 5 months to the World Cup...

I was also going to mention they are doing it a bit premeturely.

Terrible idea, wrapping players in cotton wool was proven not to work by Ireland in the run up to the last WC......

Terrible idea, wrapping players in cotton wool was proven not to work by Ireland in the run up to the last WC......

Exactly. Irelands players were so unfit they nearly lost to Georgia. The previous year the Irish A team beat Georgia by 40 - 3.

It looks like Robinson maybe a bit too cautious. Still from his point of view Scotland might not have a big squad to take any chances on players getting injured.

Gray was in great form and benefitting from every game. This is a very bad call to stop these guys playing or doing and contact in training

I think he has justified the situation fair enough, as a poster above said, most of these players have had a fairly lengthly injury in the past year or so, and it is natural that it would take more than a year for fears of a re-occurence of injuries to go away.

Likewise a player like Richie Gray has not played nearly as much rugby in this season than he has before, and being the athletic player he is, he might just go on and burn himself out, so it is appropriate that he gets some rest at least

In Robinson we trust

Crazy decision if you ask me! I can see these players being off the pace in the WC. As getofmeland said, match fitness is very different from gym fitness, are the warm-up games enough to keep them match fit for the WC?

As it did with Ireland and NZ, trying to wrap players in cotton wool doesn't work.

Crazy decision if you ask me! I can see these players being off the pace in the WC. As getofmeland said, match fitness is very different from gym fitness, are the warm-up games enough to keep them match fit for the WC?

As it did with Ireland and NZ, trying to wrap players in cotton wool doesn't work.

I don't think the ABs looked that off-pace in the WC, and just because it didn't work for Ireland (and if you believe it happened to NZ), that does not neccessarily mean that it can't work for Scotland... We have got 2/3 warm-ups matches, before we play the 2 weakest teams in our group, only then do we play Argentina.

If they 'aren't up to speed by then', well then I doubt the difference between a competitive ML match at the end of March and one at the start of May is going to be the root cause of the problem.

I believe the story from the SRU puts this in much better perspective than an article that says 'Scotland withdraws X amount of players for WC preparations'

http://www.scottishrugby.org/content/view/1787/2/

Can't imagine the Edinburgh/Glasgow staff/fans are just "disappointed"
All six of em. They must be fuming.

Its a decision that reminds me of the Irish pre-world cup in 2007. Small squad, over protected, over trainined and eventually undercooked.

Not really ... Kellock accepts Robinson decision to rest him at club

Still don't think people quite understand that these players that have rested as I have said before have had quite bad injuries in the last year and a bit and have played hell of a lot of rugby. Its a risk that Robinson has to take. Sooner people get over it the better.

Latest posts