• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Second Test: Australia vs. British and Irish Lions (29/06/13)

Gutted. Fantastic atmosphere in a great city expected 1/2penny to nail it he looked so distraught just standing there.

With a little time to digest:

Front row: Adam did his best to secure the scrum, but Vunipola struggles on the other side. Adam visibly faded in the second half though, and was timely replaced by Cole imo. Youngs made some solid carries, but lineout was a problem at times, Hibbard the same. Hopefully Corbs is fit next week.

Second row: AWJ had another excellent game. Worked his socks off. Wasn't at all impressed with Parling though. Didn't do what was needed at the lineout.

Backrow. Warburton was huge. He was everywhere in defence and was our most potent carrying option. Some great cover tackles to boot. Lydiate worked tirelessly, but made one or two mistakes, completely out of character tbh. Wasn't all that impressed with Heaslip once again. Doesn't quite make the impact I expect of him both in the loose or tight. If Warbs is fit, I'd be very tempted to play Warbs on the blindside, Tips at 7 and Faletau at 8, or SOB-Warburton-Faletau. I think Faletau has to come in, not because Heaslip has been terrible (he hasn't), but because Faletau fully deserves to start.

Halfbacks: Not sure about Youngs. On the one hand his forwards didn't provide the platform, but on the other he made a few mistakes. Better than Phillips was last week, but tbh Youngs would have suited that game better, and Phillips would have suited this game better. Sexton wasn't great. He tried his best, and put in a few decent passes, and his up and unders were mostly well placed. Made too many errors for my liking though.

Centres: Both average at best. BOD started well with a big tackle to dislodge the ball, leading to Warbs earning a penalty, but made some uncharacteristic mistakes. That pass forwards into an Aus player was terrible (although Davies failed to keep his depth in that attack). Davies made a few good carries, and mostly tackled well (but got caught out for the Aus try). I'd bring either Roberts or Tuilagi in next week, and I'm unsure which of Davies or BOD to retain at 13.

Back three: North and Halfpenny were good. I've seen them play better, but they did all they really could. Halfpenny will be haunted for missing twice (that's what he's like). I personally thought Bowe was a little quiet. Didn't do anything wrong, and took one good high take towards the end, but didn't come infield too often to look for ball. However, it wasn't a game for wingers to impress, with the ball barely ever getting to them.

My team for next week:

01 Corbisiero/Grant
02 Hibbard? Not sure here, I feel his extra physicality would be good, but his lineout throwing has been iffy to say the least.
03 Adam Jones
04 Alun-Wyn Jones
05 Ian Evans (we need his lineout prowess, and extra physicality)
06 Sam Warburton/SOB
07 Justin Tipuric/Sam Warburton
08 Toby Faletau

09 Not fussed
10 Sexton
11 North
12 Roberts/Tuilagi
13 BOD/Davies
14 Bowe/Cuthbert (I still think Cuthbert offers a little more in his attacking angles, and carrying in midfield)
15 Leigh Halfpenny

erm, yeah. Realised that could be massively Welsh, so feel free to berate me!

I couldn't stay up for this one but looking forward to watching it later today! Glad the series is tied, makes for a far more exciting 3rd match.

I have a couple questions:

How was Beale's game this week? I'm not a fan of the guy as a human being, but I do know he's a good player and I felt a bit bad for him last week.

Who was the standout player? I see lots of praise for many, some criticism of others, but curious who was the most impressive overall.

das

With a little time to digest:

Front row: Adam did his best to secure the scrum, but Vunipola struggles on the other side. Adam visibly faded in the second half though, and was timely replaced by Cole imo. Youngs made some solid carries, but lineout was a problem at times, Hibbard the same. Hopefully Corbs is fit next week.

Second row: AWJ had another excellent game. Worked his socks off. Wasn't at all impressed with Parling though. Didn't do what was needed at the lineout.

Backrow. Warburton was huge. He was everywhere in defence and was our most potent carrying option. Some great cover tackles to boot. Lydiate worked tirelessly, but made one or two mistakes, completely out of character tbh. Wasn't all that impressed with Heaslip once again. Doesn't quite make the impact I expect of him both in the loose or tight. If Warbs is fit, I'd be very tempted to play Warbs on the blindside, Tips at 7 and Faletau at 8, or SOB-Warburton-Faletau. I think Faletau has to come in, not because Heaslip has been terrible (he hasn't), but because Faletau fully deserves to start.

Halfbacks: Not sure about Youngs. On the one hand his forwards didn't provide the platform, but on the other he made a few mistakes. Better than Phillips was last week, but tbh Youngs would have suited that game better, and Phillips would have suited this game better. Sexton wasn't great. He tried his best, and put in a few decent passes, and his up and unders were mostly well placed. Made too many errors for my liking though.

Centres: Both average at best. BOD started well with a big tackle to dislodge the ball, leading to Warbs earning a penalty, but made some uncharacteristic mistakes. That pass forwards into an Aus player was terrible (although Davies failed to keep his depth in that attack). Davies made a few good carries, and mostly tackled well (but got caught out for the Aus try). I'd bring either Roberts or Tuilagi in next week, and I'm unsure which of Davies or BOD to retain at 13.

Back three: North and Halfpenny were good. I've seen them play better, but they did all they really could. Halfpenny will be haunted for missing twice (that's what he's like). I personally thought Bowe was a little quiet. Didn't do anything wrong, and took one good high take towards the end, but didn't come infield too often to look for ball. However, it wasn't a game for wingers to impress, with the ball barely ever getting to them.

My team for next week:

01 Corbisiero/Grant
02 Hibbard? Not sure here, I feel his extra physicality would be good, but his lineout throwing has been iffy to say the least.
03 Adam Jones
04 Alun-Wyn Jones
06 Sam Warburton/SOB
08 Toby Faletau

09 Not fussed
10 Sexton
11 North
12 Roberts/Tuilagi
13 BOD/Davies
14 Bowe/Cuthbert (I still think Cuthbert offers a little more in his attacking angles, and carrying in midfield)
15 Leigh Halfpenny

Great summery, agree with most of it.

I think Heaslip was below his usual level today and I Toby comes in wouldn't be surprised but I don't know what Gatland will want to do in terms of changes. Backrow is still a headache Dan ans Sam were outsanding today but we didn't have a lot of the ball carrying that SOB/POC offers which we needed today picking between Dan and SOB for 6 id going to be a big call, Croft for me has played himself out of contention not impressive.

I think the centers is also one where i'm not sure JD let the try in but it wasn't all his fault, Bod was to far infield he made the tackle but was out of positioned if JD hadn;t come in the guy who passed to ACC would've scored.

OK now have I finally come from round the sofa.......

The game was very simple today the forwards matched each other with scrums going either way and the lineouts a bit messy but nither pack got the upperhand. The big difference was in the backs, the Aussies looked like a world class backline the Lions didnt, as much as I love Ben Youngs he is not in the same class as Genia and wanted to kick the TV when he was messing about with the scrum putting the ball in little tw^t! The centres were poor, BOD throw a terrible intercpt pass, Davis made no ground and both allowed the Aussies cross the gain line to often. Sexton was....well indifferent kicking most of the ball he had away because he had no big ball carriers inside him. North had his big tough moment but was quite otherwise. Bowe made a few errors but was the better of the 2. Halfpenny well yes he can kick but does he offer the counter attack that Beale does? not a chance.

Quick note about Mako, thought he showed great character out there sticking with it and improving but my god did we miss Corbs tonight.

Sam Warburton was absolutely incredible today. Everyone has been on his back this tour and clamouring for Sean O'Brien and Tipuric to be in ahead of him but when he hits his straps, he is one of the best breakdown players in the world. That's no disrespect to SOB or Tipuric but he is that good when on song. The game changed when he went off. The Wallabies never had a platform before he went off as he slowed the ball down or turned it over. I would go as far to say Australia might not have scored that try had he been on the field because they never would've have had quick enough ball to deliver that kind of platform but that's up for debate. I also think that he's underrated at lineout time, the only real time we got good line out ball from the middle was from him. I get a feeling of dejavu because the same thing happened 12 years ago with Richard Hill getting injured in the 2nd test when they were up 11-6. I hope he is fit because despite the quality depth, I honestly think he is irreplaceable. His relationship with referees has also been excellent - this is something Brian O'Driscoll doesn't manage quite as well. Joubert really listened to Warburton which I think worked in the Lions favour.

I think the centers is also one where i'm not sure JD let the try in but it wasn't all his fault, Bod was to far infield he made the tackle but was out of positioned if JD hadn;t come in the guy who passed to ACC would've scored.

Yeah, I won't vilify Davies for that try. Lions were stretched, and Aus just worked a guy clear. However Davies made a fair few mistakes, and tried to grubber a couple of balls through which really didn't come off, and just handed possession back to Aus again.

BOD was just as bad though, and made two glaring mistakes that really handed momentum back to Aus at completely the wrong time in the match. They don't seem to work well together either, not helped by not playing together in any of the warm-up games.

On the form of the tour, I'd probably retain Davies from the two, but I think BOD's experience and quality would probably mean I'd actually retain him.

If he makes this (Halfpenny), the whole Lions squad should give him head.

tumblr_lihssbruRl1qg39ewo1_500.gif

Whilst Davies didn't have a great game it's definitely only fair to remember that he's being asked to play outside his preferred position to accommodate BOD. Yep, I know Davies plays 12 for the Scarlet's, but from the evidence with Wales 13 is his best position. And this is where it gets tough and difficult things have to be said: BOD is the business, it's hard to overemphasise - but because of him Davies is playing out of his usual position whilst Tuilagi isn't even in the 23 - this is a guy who has been crucial in dragging England kicking and screaming to winning big games, and arguably the most dangerous centre in world rugby for the last year. Now, I think Brian deserved being the preferred 13, but he hasn't yet had the impact (in attack) that we know he can have. Which makes it seem a shame that we can't see how dangerously Tuilagi and Davies can be given the chance.

If Gatland goes with what he knows and brings Roberts back - who has been underwhelming - one of Davies and Tuilagi will miss out next week, and I think that would be very harsh.

Last edited:
1. Vunipola will make a huge difference to the scrummage and all in favour of the Aussies but an unavoidable change with the Corbs injury. Truly believe that this will show that Cole was not the reason that the scrum caved in when the front row was changed last week.

2. Very surprised to see Croft dropped as this removes a threat at the back of the line out but Lydiate has always been Gatland's favourite (and is Welsh!!)

3. The Oik is picked ahead of Phillips and, to be honest, is the right call whether or not Phillips is injured.

Right on Vunipola and croft but wrong on the Oik.......Vunipola was a marked man and despite some encouraging scrums, he was the reason why the Aussies were taking scrums as opposed to kicks. Cole showed he was up to it on his arrival. The line out was an unmitigated disaster with what ball that the Lions got, very poor and Croft was missed and Heaslip anonymous. Youngs' service was too slow, his option picking poor and his box kicks also poor
I think that, if Australia play with the same intensity, and that is a big if, and Vunipola does not step up in the scrummage then the Lions could be put under all sorts of pressure by the Aussies with the ball as it would appear to me they did not have that much of it last week!

I will go for an Aussie win........but what do I know?

Aussies so deserved their win and I cannot see this Lions team beating this Aussie team next week....mind you Horwill and Vunikola could be missing for disciplinary reasons and that could make a positive difference!!

Well done both teams on an engrossing match and Joubert on a moderately good game but some strange calls also!!

01 Corbisiero/Grant
03 Adam Jones
04 Alun-Wyn Jones
06 Sam Warburton/SOB
08 Toby Faletau

09 Not fussed
10 Sexton
11 North
12 Roberts/Tuilagi
13 BOD/Davies
15 Leigh Halfpenny

14/15 welsh players, with 15th only not-Welsh because there are no Welsh players on the tour in that position?
Nah, that's not very Welsh at all! :p

14/15 welsh players, with 15th only not-Welsh because there are no Welsh players on the tour in that position?
Nah, that's not very Welsh at all! :p

Learn to count Olyy, it's only 13, which makes it even less Welsh. :p

Gonna say it again. I think the coaches missed a massive trick not taking Care. The difference between the teams for me has been the control each scrum half has had over the game. Genia provides his forwards with good passes at short enough of a range to get them over the gain line, and then hits the fringes and ties defenders when the backline is ready to move. Youngs/Phillips in both their starts have been ponderous. Clear wet weather players. (It's a shame, because Youngs was one of the liveliest scrum halves when he broke onto the scene. Tigers have eroded his talent and turned him into a box kicker...)

Better side won. WG`s 'Valley Boy`s' junket is turning to sh*te somewhat, time to bring in Farrell, Croft, Cole, Manu, and Barrit! The Lions need some big country mentality to beat this weakest of the SH teams.

TROLL 2 !!!!!!! And perfectly placed I might add !!
I like you ! Stay here longer man, we need more Aussie boys here !

EDIT: oh how I love the great terrible films...*cough*cough*THE ROOM*...ahem.

Last edited:

Latest posts