• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Semi Final: Sharks v Blues

14-6 half time.

How's about that Sharks scrum? And Mealamu came on at 32 mins - just slightly out on the prediction. Steyn is a great player in the making.

It's an ok game. Blues look pretty clueless kicking, and a bit hassled with ball in hand - but they're in with a shout.

The ref is really mixed - that penalty before half time should have gone to the Sharks. What's the point of playing smart defence when the ref gets it that wrong?

Well the Blues Sharks game was far and away the superior of the 2 semifinals. Either side could have won it and it was an exciting match worthy of the semis.
I must say that I called it way back in the loss to the stormers that Flavell has looked like absolute crap and if there was any forward out there that should have been taken off the field it was him. He has consistently destroyed the Blues momentum inside the 22 when entering the contact area he inexplicably spills the ball. If you go back and watch the last 4 blues matches he has done it every single time. For my money he has shown he does not have the drive, desire or basic skills to go the distance in test rugby anymore.
Ice confirmed he is the premier centre and what a big blow it was when he went off. He has been making those breaks all season and this time there was finally someone on his shoulder in support to finish it off. In an ABs outfit with it's superior support play he will be outstanding. I was bemused in the Crusaders match when the commentators harped on about Carter's single "World Class" linebreak. It underlines how ridiculous there comments are when Ice makes similar breaks 2 or 3 times in just about every game this season and most pass without comment.

Fair dues to the Blues in the third quarter - but how can you win without both your first choice centres?

Sharks were confused until Skinstad came on. Why in the name of God would you keep kicking the ball away to an NZ back three? The scrum half feed to the kickers was poor. And I was wondering why Butch was still on the field - but then he scored. And Percy still isn't past it.

Give us a healthy McAlister, not send Williams home and actually give Rocokoko some gametime before abandoning him and we could've rolled past this Sharks outfit.

My Prediction - Toeava will make Shtove and whatever centre he is lined up against look retarded come World Cup time. Theres a difference between playing behind the Blues pack and have Nacewa distributing the ball and playing behind the Mike Cron Coached All Blacks pack with Carter and McAlister on your inside and Sivivatu/Rocokoko and Gear/Howlett on the outside of you.

Bulls should take it out next week based on these semi's.

Toeava has what it takes, but probably at outside centre. And when I referred to the first choice centres I meant McAlister and him - Blues couldn't win it once he went off. Hope he hasn't screwed up ligaments.

Still, Toeava only looked great in the third quarter, and I'm not sure about his defence.

Bulls for the final - typical SA team: smash you back in defence and pick off their DGs. But I hope the Sharks make it fun.

Toeava's defence is not any worse than say... Mils or *Snigger* Nonu's and last year the defence seemed alright with those two out there at 13.

Remember England? Nonners was very generous to the world's greatest 13, Mike Noone.

And? We still won 41-20.

And luckily unlike the Super 14 coaches *couchDavidNuciforacough* the All Blacks brain trust are smart enough to change things which go wrong.

I doubt that Japan would be a pushover if they had managed to claw their way to the RWC Final.

ref had a real shocker in this game and made really werid calls all game. toeava has really put his hand up for the abs 13 jersey in the super 14 this year. flavell has been one of the form locks in the super 14 but has looked a bit off in the last few still I think he has played himself into the abs. blues really needed mcAlister out there to help close out the game and perhaps guys like rokocko if actually given a chance would have made a difference. still well played to the sharks on the win but I don't think you will win the final

You only saw Toeava in the 3rd quarter cos he hardly got any ball in the first half..
He had a pretty good game. Didn't see any dropped balls. Gave his team a chance to win the semi.
How many times did you see a cut out pass to Tuitavake? Maybe the Blues noticed that the Sharks were shutting down Ice so decided to move it wider, or back inside.

Any news on his injury?

Good on the Sharks. The final should be a cracker.. But I'm really looking forward to the Tri-Nations for some redemption :D

Well done Sharkies, this match was by far the more entertaining of the two semi's. I really don't care who wins the final all I wanted was an all South African final, very happy indeed.

While I agree that this game was the more entertaining of the 2, the other one produced much the better rugby IMO.

Anyway, first the plaudits:

-Daniel Braid- if this bloke was born anywhere but in NZ, or possibly SA with our depth of backrow forwards, he`d have played close to 50 Tests already. Awesome on the ground, excellent on defense, and a more than capable deputy for McCaw.

- Isa Toeava- how there can still be any debate as to who should be the AB`s 1st-choice 13 is beyond me. Ice is already one of the most destructive game-breakers and strike runners in world rugby. This lad has greatness stamped all over him. A blind man can feel over a radio how good he`s gonna become. A real great in the making- and I mean BOD or Umaga great. Got given the ball, in space, on just about 2 occasions. Result- 2 tries. Enough said.

- Ryan Kankowski- still a youngster, but a great player in the making. Serious gas, serious stepping ability. While RWC2007 is maybe a year too early for him, one can clearly see just how great he`s gonna be. And pretty soon too. Should`ve made the Bok squad IMO.

And now, for the brickbats: both teams as a whole, for showing f***all respect for the ball.

The Blues went into the game with the funny notion that you can just swing the ball around, willy nilly, and the tries will come. From anywhere, from any position. Almost like the deluded approach that the Stormers had this year. Actually, I firmly believe that a win should be earned. In order to score a try, one needs to first earn possession, either by solid 1st-pase play, or by securing the turnover. Then, one needs to earn that most precious of all commodities, go-forward ball. This can be achieved by a whole host of ways- from big, powerful ball-carriers(the SA way), to clever angles and running lines(the Aussie way) or by excellent off-loading ability in the tackle(the NZ way). The Blues didn`t respect the basics, and consequently came unstuck. I mean, really, get the pill to their most lethal strike-runner, in space, on just 2 occasions?

And then, there were the Sharks. f***all repect for earning possession in the 1st instance- just kick the damn thing straight up the park. While I can certainly appreciate a good tactical kicking game, IF you have the line-out and committed defense to make it work for you, at leat you need to kick the damn thing out then. Kicking the ball straight down the middle, and straight down your opponent`s throats, certainly doesn`t constitute constructive rugby, or any type of game-plan, at all. If the Sharks want to bring this to the final, God help them. Really.

But I`m pretty chuffed by the end result anyway, even though the game itself was a great disappointment to me personally.

Isa Nacewa should go to play for the new Wellington soccer franchise because he likes kicking the ball so much and Nucifora can be the ball boy.Troy Flavell needs to harden up and stop playing "tiddly winks" if he makes the ABs ,Nucifora had only his own interest in mind when not selecting his ABs just to prove to Henry and co that he has the final say and in doing so probably cost us a super 14 championship,untill Toeava came off I really thought they had a chance but with Ice gone that was it,he should be ABs centre for sure.

- Isa Toeava-

- Ryan Kankowski- still a youngster, but a great player in the making. Serious gas, serious stepping ability. While RWC2007 is maybe a year too early for him, one can clearly see just how great he`s gonna be. And pretty soon too. Should`ve made the Bok squad IMO.

[/b]

It's Isaia Toeava >_<

Yeah, I agree bout Kankowski, I've been very impressed with what I've seen of him. The boks forwards always seem to be stacked these days.

i thought steyn was a little too erratic, I know he's the golden boy of S.A rugby but it seems he's always trying to do just a little too much. Sometime the best thing for the team is to go to ground, kick for touch, play it simple, he put unnecessary pressure on us at certain points. He is an amazing talent but he needs too play it safe sometimes

I thought the Blues started much like how we played them in Albany, they were trying to roll over us at the scrums and kicking for territory but they couldnt keep it going. They only really played at the start of each half. Bob made a clear impact when he came on, marshalling the troops. Steyn was less erratic than he usually is but still had his moments. Sharks offloading was pretty sweet

Latest posts