• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Should there be a World Club Final

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lucky_number_7 @ Mar 8 2010, 09:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dale @ Mar 5 2010, 01:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Codorniou @ Mar 5 2010, 10:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
Cameron McIntyre played 17 matches for the Crusaders (most off the bench) in four seasons, before being given the sack for being ****. He's now a Rugby God in France.[/b]

If McIntyre is rugby god in France , then I am the pope.

He has has scored 6 tries ,108 points in his first three season, hardly impressing stats for a flyhalf and certainly not God's stats, he was actually complete crap.

He has improved in the current season, having scored more points than, 109, than in his first three seasons combined but the whole Castres team is playing better, so difficult to know where the improvement is coming from, the team or the player.

Your knowledge of the top 14 is obviously superficial, have you ever watched a single game ? I doubt.
[/b][/quote]

Sorry, but I don't respond to nothing posters with less than 1000 posts.
[/b][/quote]
hahahahaha dale i find it hilarious that you base someones rugby knowledge on how many posts they have...
you sir are the epitomy of douchebaggery...enjoy your life behind a keyboard
[/b][/quote]

He wont respond, you have less than 1000 :lol:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dale @ Mar 5 2010, 03:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
whatever[/b]

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/s_cF9ubz28Y&hl=fr_FR&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/s_cF9ubz28Y&hl=fr_FR&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bristol-iain @ Mar 8 2010, 09:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lucky_number_7 @ Mar 8 2010, 09:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Codorniou @ Mar 5 2010, 10:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Cameron McIntyre played 17 matches for the Crusaders (most off the bench) in four seasons, before being given the sack for being ****. He's now a Rugby God in France.[/b]

He has has scored 6 tries ,108 points in his first three season, hardly impressing stats for a flyhalf and certainly not God's stats, he was actually complete crap.

He has improved in the current season, having scored more points than, 109, than in his first three seasons combined but the whole Castres team is playing better, so difficult to know where the improvement is coming from, the team or the player.

Your knowledge of the top 14 is obviously superficial, have you ever watched a single game ? I doubt.
[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]
hahahahaha dale i find it hilarious that you base someones rugby knowledge on how many posts they have...
[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]
He's got less than 100 posts, Dale won't even read it

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Olyy @ Mar 8 2010, 10:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bristol-iain @ Mar 8 2010, 09:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lucky_number_7 @ Mar 8 2010, 09:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]
[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]
He's got less than 100 posts, Dale won't even read it
[/b][/quote]
yeah guys im just a petty commoner....no chance of dale almighty aknowledging my existance on HIS earth....

really good idea. Play it in Dubai, its a little under half way and over half way between the two. Ideal place for it and even better because it is where I am about live nice and easy to get tickets. it would give us a true indication of the gap between NH club rugby and Sh club rugby.

The powers that be seem to like the idea:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2010/apr/02/heineken-cup-super-15-play-off

Heineken Cup v Super 15 champions play-off backed by major unions

A lucrative "clash of the hemispheres" game to determine the world's best club side is set to be introduced in 2012, as rugby union seeks to head off Indian Premier League-style investors keen to hijack the concept and stage a showpiece fixture in Monaco or the Middle East.

A play-off between the winners of the Heineken Cup and what will by 2012 have become the Super 15 has been mooted many times before. The Guardian, however, understands that all the major unions are now fully behind the proposal and are redoubling their efforts to finalise a firm date for the match, which would be staged in Europe, possibly in early December.

Premier Rugby Limited, the body that represent the leading English clubs, has been heavily involved in the negotiations, with the professional club game collectively desperate to sidestep the continuing recession and to bolster revenues. Officials are also concerned that any delay in organising the match will leave the way clear for promoters from outside the sport to take advantage.
Mark McCafferty, the PRL chief executive, said: "Our clubs, as well as those in Europe and the southern hemisphere, have had approaches from Monaco, Abu Dhabi and, most recently, from South Africa. If the stakeholders within rugby don't create this, somebody else will and we'll find an outsider coming in."

The prospect of the reigning European champions, Leinster, playing the Super 14 holders, the Bulls from South Africa, at a sold-out Aviva Stadium in Dublin would be an attractive one for fans and broadcasters and could generate substantial income for the game.

"It's us who have been pushing it," McCafferty said. "The only issue we're trying to crack is the date. The sticking points at the moment are the dates of the new domestic competitions in the southern hemisphere, but we're still working on it. I think it's got to be around the autumn time, either pre or post the autumn internationals. That's the only time when the southern hemisphere teams are still playing and the majority of their players are in Europe."

McCafferty, however, is well aware that the calendar is congested. Under Premier Rugby's deal with the Rugby Football Union, the majority of England internationals, for example, would be unavailable from late October until the end of November. The first weekend of December might be feasible if all European clubs are in agreement.

"We can manage it because, at most, only two clubs from an individual league – whether it be France, England or the Magners League – would be affected, so you're only having to rearrange one fixture," McCafferty said. "We've developed something that isn't disruptive to existing competitions. Everyone has got an appetite to do it if we can just find a date. Further discussions are continuing with the southern hemisphere to see if we can find one." In the short term, he does not feel that taking the fixture to a neutral offshore venue would be beneficial. "You've got to do it in a rugby heartland. I don't think going to play in an empty stadium somewhere would be beneficial."

The RFU has indicated privately it is behind the concept and the French Rugby Federation is also believed to be supportive. The Sanzar nations have been concerned for some time about declining attendances and interest, particularly in competitive marketplaces like Australia, and are working hard to raise rugby union's profile. Rugby league already has a World Club Challenge, most recently staged in February when the Melbourne Storm beat the Leeds Rhinos 18-10 at Elland Road.

This comes up every year.. The NH unions have only been prepared to play this match during the months before the Super Rugby season begins. This is completely unworkable because in NZ at least the squad is chosen on merit based on ITM cup performances (as opposed to concrete contracts like in the NH), so the squad changes every year. The Super teams can't feild a side because effectively, the team doesn't exist in the off season. The NH clubs refuse to play at any other time, so the game never takes place.
Its interesting that the article says "Major unions coming together" but only mentions the English union by name..

Toulouse v Bulls
Heymans v Kirchner
Clerc v Basson
Fritz v Pretorius
Poitrenaud v Olivier
Médard v Hougaard
Skrela v Steyn
Kelleher v du Preez
Poux v Steenkamp
Servat v Ralepelle
Lecouls v Kruger
Millo-Chluski v Botha
Albacete v Matfield
Bouilhou v Potgieter
Dusautoir v Stegmann
Picamoles v Spies

I'd say Toulouse would be the winners !

1. Why are we dredging up a thread thats over a year old?

2. The idea is unworkable. As ranger correctly points out, the Super 15 teams effectively cease to exist the day after the final as the player return to their ITM Cup sides or head off on overseas contracts. There was a time when this could have been a possibility, within a week or two of the HC and SR finals which were usually within a week or two of each other. That is no longer the case, with S15 now finishing after mid-year.

The idea is now a dead duck!

Who needs it? We'll know who the best team in the world will be by about 6 o'clock tomorrow :D

Just a match between the winners of SupeRugby and the H-Cup would be interesting. As long as it isn't like that crap FIFA Club World Cup, I'm fine with the idea.

Latest posts