• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[Six Nations 2018] - Ireland

As he was injured. In November internationals.
My point is more you said he was overtaken by others when he's actually been in 23 when fit.
That period was one of a three year period when Kearney, Bowe and Trimble were never fit at the same time and Zebo wasn't the player he is now, he would only have played the Canada match last Autumn but for injuries against NZ getting him on for Aus. You're really straying from the point I was making though.

That period was one of a three year period when Kearney, Bowe and Trimble were never fit at the same time and Zebo wasn't the player he is now, he would only have played the Canada match last Autumn but for injuries against NZ getting him on for Aus. You're really straying from the point I was making though.

All I'm saying is. You said Earls was overtaken in 2014 or so.
Fact is it's hard to say as when he's been fully fit and available Schmidt has always selected him in his 23. Thats all I'm saying.
Like just saying you said he was overtaken and overlooked but that wasn't case

The form talk is enjoyable but academic. Bar maybe Trimble V Earls Jockstap picked the 15. We all know it. Tracey will get the bench spot ahead of Scannell btw.

Anyone want to guess on bolters and surprise omissions when the squad is named tomorrow?

The back three is an a state of flux. I think both Adam Byrne and Andrew Conway have a great shot at making it in ahead of Tommy Bowe. Bowe's pace is gone.

Johnny Sexton and Paddy Jackson are set as the top two options at flyhalf but Sexton's injury creates an opening for a 3rd player to be picked. With Joey Carbery out, it's between Jack Carty, Ross Byrne, Ian Keatley and Ian Madigan. Madigan loses out because he's based in France. Of the others, Byrne has the highest upside and is improving fast. I think he'll be named in the squad.

Wouldn't be shocked to see Rory Scannell and Stuart McCloskey named in place of Luke Marshall and Stuart Olding.

Last edited:
I think Niall Scannell too will make it in. Carty may have got in to it too after today.

Guys like Carty Conway Scannell (both) and Byrne have earned their way.
Great battle in every position too except half back

Think Rory Scannell has to be included for an abundance of reasons. He has versatility, top pass, good left peg and can kick goals. At the very least he will make the camp. Now that my man love is out of the way, it's tough to say who else will surprise us. Think Bowe will miss out because while he's as savy as ever, his pace is shot and he won't be able to defend coming across against wingers with any pace. He offers little as a squad player. Some other Ulster boys have seen a major stall as well. I'd love to pick Sweetnam and Earls but as Sweetnam is injured it could be O'Loughlin, it could be Conway, but I doubt either will see gametime. The Ten issue is legitimate I see now because Sexton could easily be injured or at least rested for a game or two. The squad 10 should expect to have to play. Byrne I really don't rate very highly, but beyond slotting Scannell in, we have few other options.
Sadly a lot of Connacht guys have played themselves out of contention. Adeolokun needs to get stronger and stopped getting mashed in contact. O'Halloran is on of my favourite players but recently he's been attempting very predictable shimmies when he should peg a kick through and gets isolated a lot. Denis Buckley has really impressed me for Connacht, good times through bad. Roux was a liability at times today, but his scrumming and weight makes him a useful player. Sean O'Brien is probably their notable up and comer and will see squads at some stage, but we're so deep at backrow right now.
I'd love to see Niall Scannell make a squad because I think he's just so very talented. Can scrum very well, but his throw needs a bit more accuracy.

How many wings will be picked? I'd have both Leinster guys, Trimble, Sweetnam and Zebo ahead of Earls I think I'd pick RK at 15 his form has been very good in recent games.

Groundhog on Niall Scannell. His throw is only iffy bit but it's better than other contenders and will improve when you add Toner as a target.

On 10 I'd say Carty is legitimately pushing to be 3rd choice 10 (excluding Carberry).
O'Halloran I thought played well again today and should get in mix.

If Carty was the required standard Connacht would be in a qf

True but equally he's better than any of other available options.

Preferably I'd gamble Scannell as 3rd choice.

On wings I'd disagree as I'd have Earls in. Sweetnam I think if fit would've started as he's the exact Schmidt type player and is the best aerial winger in country.

If I'd to pick 6 back 3 players

Zebo
Trimble
Byrne
O'Loughlin
Earls
O'Halloran

Obviously won't happen though

Ireland Squad 2017 RBS 6 Nations Nations Championship 2017 - Rounds 1 &2

Player/Club/Province/Caps

Forwards (22)
Finlay Bealham (Buccaneers/Connacht) 6 caps
Rory Best (Banbridge/Ulster) (c) 100 caps
Jack Conan (Old Belvedere/Leinster) 1 cap
Ultan Dillane (Corinthians/Connacht) 8 caps
Tadhg Furlong (Clontarf/Leinster) 11 caps
Cian Healy (Clontarf/Leinster) 62 caps
Jamie Heaslip (Dublin University/Leinster) (vc) 91 caps
Iain Henderson (Ballynahinch/Ulster) 28 caps
Billy Holland (Cork Constitution/Munster) 1 cap
Dave Kilcoyne (UL Bohemians/Munster) 17 caps
Dan Leavy (UCD/Leinster) 1 cap
Jack McGrath (St. Mary's College/Leinster) 36 caps
Sean O'Brien (UCD/Leinster) 44 caps

Tommy O'Donnell (UL Bohemians/Munster) 12 caps
Peter O'Mahony (Cork Con/Munster) 37 caps
Donnacha Ryan (Shannon/Munster) 43 caps
John Ryan (Cork Constitution/Munster) 1 cap
Niall Scannell (Dolphin/Munster) *
CJ Stander (Munster) 10 caps
Devin Toner (Lansdowne/Leinster) 42 caps
James Tracy (UCD/Leinster) 1 cap
Josh van der Flier (UCD/Leinster) 5 caps

Backs (18)
Tommy Bowe (Belfast Harlequins/Ulster) 67 caps
Andrew Conway (Munster) *
Keith Earls (Young Munster/Munster) 54 caps
Craig Gilroy (Bangor/Ulster) 9 caps
Robbie Henshaw (Buccaneers/Leinster) 24 caps
Paddy Jackson (Dungannon/Ulster) 19 caps
Rob Kearney (UCD/Leinster) 72 caps
Kieran Marmion (Corinthians/Connacht) 9 caps
Luke Marshall (Ballymena/Ulster) 9 caps
Stuart McCloskey (Ballynahinch/Ulster) 1 cap
Luke McGrath (UCD/Leinster) 1 cap
Conor Murray (Garryowen/Munster) 53 caps
Tiernan O'Halloran (Buccaneers/Connacht) 3 caps
Garry Ringrose (UCD/Leinster) 3 caps
Rory Scannell (Dolphin/Munster) *
Jonathan Sexton (St Mary's College/Leinster) 63 caps
Andrew Trimble (Ballymena/Ulster) 69 caps
Simon Zebo (Cork Constitution/Munster) 28 caps

*Denotes uncapped player

Looks like you're right Muff. Only two out-halves listed, and it looks like Scannell will be retained in the squad at any right. Ballsy from Schmidt. I'm pretty unhappy that Bowe is retained above Byrne. Likewise Gilroy is lucky to be ahead of either Leinster winger. Likewise McCloskey is streets ahead of Marshall on his current form. Actually surprised O'Donoghue has been omitted behind Leavy too.

Last edited:
Looks like you're right Muff. Only two out-halves listed, and it looks like Scannell will be retained in the squad at any right. Ballsy from Schmidt. I'm pretty unhappy that Bowe is retained above Byrne. Likewise Gilroy is lucky to be ahead of either Leinster winger. Likewise McCloskey is streets ahead of Marshall on his current form. Actually surprised O'Donoghue has been omitted behind Leavy too.

Agreed on wing argument especially considering Byrne is in strong form. Conway deserved his spot. Jacko didn't deserve spot and I'm ok at him staying here.
On Scannell I'd say Niall deserves backup spot. Also Rory won't let you down in that role but he deserves to be there as a superb form 12.

Bowe is on a central contract. I think he'll see game time tbh. Its Japan debuts for Byrne and ROL.

Carberry would be called up and leapfrog Scannell if anything happened to Sexton or Jackson. I suspect allowing him to rehab at Leinster is the thinking, not that he's suddenly been usurped by an uncapped inside centre.

IRFU playing for keeps with Moore and Madigan too. Move abroad and you'll be frozen out. I suspect Sexton is the ONLY member of the squad who confounds that. Heaslip, SOB, Toner,....they'd all get dropped if they moved IMO.

Bowe is on a central contract. I think he'll see game time tbh. Its Japan debuts for Byrne and ROL.

Carberry would be called up and leapfrog Scannell if anything happened to Sexton or Jackson. I suspect allowing him to rehab at Leinster is the thinking, not that he's suddenly been usurped by an uncapped inside centre.

IRFU playing for keeps with Moore and Madigan too. Move abroad and you'll be frozen out. I suspect Sexton is the ONLY member of the squad who confounds that. Heaslip, SOB, Toner,....they'd all get dropped if they moved IMO.

On top bit your spot on probably regards contract and Bowe.

On 2nd bit. Of course again Scannell will never start 10 but I think Schmidt would gamble on having him bench. Although Carberry of course will come in to contention once he's fit.

On last bit. They're 100% right. Although Moore wouldn't get in now I don't think. Madigan is not the 10 Schmidt like I think he prefers a tactical 10 who can kick the corners etc

Moore and Madigan would definitely be in the 40 if they were wearing Leinster colours.

Latest posts