• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[Six Nations 2018] Round 2: England vs Wales (10/02/2018)

Jones has only ever lost one game and that was Ireland away so there's no reason not to expect England to win.

Ssshhh the target Ford because players will run over him is a Weslh tactic that has had much success ;)

I'll be honest I'll be pretty peeved if we don't win this and I think you'll struggle to find an Englishman who doesn't in their heart of heart think we should be winning this one.

But my prediction in the work sweepstake is a win scoring only two try's so I certainly don't think it will be walkover.

But its at Twickenham and I'll be honest I only give Ireland and NZ a chance it current state of world rugby of turning us over at home.

Thing about predictions, is that sometimes they come back and bite ya bum! The best players, the best teams all make mistakes... and this COULD be one of those weeks. Not saying it will be but it COULD be! Ireland beat France with the last kick of the match. Hardly breathtakingly convincing although Sexton's kick was awesome give him that.

Surprised to see confidence with the Welsh scrum seeing as they barely bested (at most) the 20th choice Scottish front row.
Samson Lee is pound for pound most overrated front row forward in the world, easily.

Despite the injuries, I don't think that was a poor scrummaging front row for Scotland. It's not as if they were falling back on inexperienced youngsters, they had to resort to former international players who were discarded for their poor mobility in the open (which Wales exposed).

Samson Lee will easily stand up to Vunipola, and I'd expect him to come out slightly on top in the scrums; but not enough to cause England any real problems getting their ball back. Lee really struggled to overcome his achilles injury, but he's back fit and firing in the scrum now. Scarlets haven't struggled against anyone in the scrum with him at 3 this season.

This is the non baiting thread unfortunately!

Whatever next! Players switching from aftershave to isotonic post match refreshment?

Anyway I predict an emphatic Welsh win

in the battle of the anthems. Surely it's time to bring in a bit of Land of Hope and Glory so we can stuff them there as well?

Surprised to see confidence with the Welsh scrum seeing as they barely bested (at most) the 20th choice Scottish front row.
Samson Lee is pound for pound most overrated front row forward in the world, easily.

His face is also far too small for his head

Really looking forward to this one, and I'm genuinely confident that Wales can go to HQ and win! I'm not saying they definitely will, but I think this side is good enough to do so. I know some will think I'm nuts to think that off the back of one game v's a poor Scotland, but I just do.

Looking at the units head to heads:

Front row - Not much between the two, although I'd have Ken Owens over Heartley every day of the week. Both sets of props are impressive, with Wales possibly having a slight edge in the scrum, but Cole having an edge over Samson in the loose.

Second row - England take this one. I really rate all four of England's leading locks. AWJ is still going strong, so he'll cancel out one; but Hill despite a great game last week, is below Launch, Lawes and Itoje.

Backrow - I think Wales hold the edge here, especially on the flanks. I'm expecting Simmonds to go well again, with a good battle between him and Moriarty.

Halfbacks - Again, I'd take the Welsh halfbacks over England's, but will admit Ford is a classy player. I do think that Davies and Patchell hold the keys to whether Wales triumph. Both have so many strings to their bows, and both are dangerous as hell ball in hand. Patchell is similar to Ford in the way he puts others around him into space, but he's got the advantage of being 6'2" with a great turn of pace, so he can threaten the line himself in more ways than Ford can.

Centres - Not much in this either, but England probably have the edge going into the game due to Farrell's experience and combination with Ford. I'd be more worried if England select Joseph, because he's got the pace to hurt us. Parkes has taken to international rugby very well, and I don't see him struggling here. Like Farrell, he's the steadying influence who plays what's in front of him. Williams struggles with consistency, but he's in form atm.

Back three - England have the edge here, especially if they move Watson back to fullback and bring Nowell onto the wing. Lots of pace, and Watson is just an exceptional player. Halfpenny still isn't a counter attacking threat, but he is rock solid at the back, probably the best positional fullback in world rugby. Adams has the potential, and he'll be used to playing against the English players, but this is another massive step-up for him. What Wales did well v Scotland was to drop Patchell back in defense to offer the counter attacking threat. Steff Evans is possibly the player England will fear most, he's just a devastating attacking player. If he get's plenty of touches, he should cause England problems.

Bench - Plenty of impact from both benches with England able to bring George on at hooker for example. But imo Wales hold a couple of potential aces in Tipuric and North. Both will be desperate to force their way back into the starting lineup, and both are world class on their day.

What does all that mean? Bugger all probably!

Remember England haven't named their team yet, so you don't really know who you're matching head to head yet, particularly because Italy are no good measure of first choice selection.
That said, the only differences remotely possible are Joseph over Teo, Underhill over Lawes.......erm,....unlikely but Jones could replace Brown with Watson and Nowell on the wing....Kruis could come in for launch but that's unlikely...Hughes could be rushed back in but probably won't be.

Remember England haven't named their team yet, so you don't really know who you're matching head to head yet, particularly because Italy are no good measure of first choice selection.
That said, the only differences remotely possible are Joseph over Teo, Underhill over Lawes.......erm,....unlikely but Jones could replace Brown with Watson and Nowell on the wing....Kruis could come in for launch but that's unlikely...Hughes could be rushed back in but probably won't be.
Joseph for Te'o I think is a distinct possibility once Joseph came on England looked more sure defensively but that could also just be tired legs.

Nowell for May is the other one and far more.lilely than Nowell for Brown. In dont think either will happen.

I'd imagine Joseph in for Teo. Jones has dropped JJ a couple of times but never permanently (I think only ever one game?) - whether resting or a man management technique, it's obvious that so far JJ has always been EJ's first choice. The problems with England's wide defence point to bringing him back in as well. I'd love to see him get some space to prove his value in attack though...

Edit: When's the team announcement?

I'd imagine Joseph in for Teo. Jones has dropped JJ a couple of times but never permanently (I think only ever one game?) - whether resting or a man management technique, it's obvious that so far JJ has always been EJ's first choice. The problems with England's wide defence point to bringing him back in as well. I'd love to see him get some space to prove his value in attack though...

Edit: When's the team announcement?
Probably tomorrow (Thursday) morning.

England recalled wigglesworth for the wales game, i really hoped they also called up vellacot or robson to train and be ready for the scotland game. Wigglesworth does nothing at all for us in the long run. Take a risk

I see the war of words has started with Gatland and Jones (Daily Mail today)
You see things in the Daily Mail?? :confused:
England recalled wigglesworth for the wales game, i really hoped they also called up vellacot or robson to train and be ready for the scotland game. Wigglesworth does nothing at all for us in the long run. Take a risk
giphy.gif

I can see a degree of sense in bringing Wiggle in for a one-off; I see absolutely no benefit at all from seeing as the replacement for the rest of this champ. As you say, bring one (or both) of the other 2 in for a fortnight's training. Quite honestly, the reasons given for no 3rd choice have always been bullshit anyway - Youngs and Care are so used to the system, they really can afford to sit out a week or so of training (less so Care right now).

You see things in the Daily Mail?? :confused:
giphy.gif

I can see a degree of sense in bringing Wiggle in for a one-off; I see absolutely no benefit at all from seeing as the replacement for the rest of this champ. As you say, bring one (or both) of the other 2 in for a fortnight's training. Quite honestly, the reasons given for no 3rd choice have always been bullshit anyway - Youngs and Care are so used to the system, they really can afford to sit out a week or so of training (less so Care right now).

Only in passing!

Only in passing!
but still enough to read the words that were typed... That's still a hell of an amission, and you've gone down in my estimation.

Of course, for this week alone, my estimation of you is as dirt anyway; but that's just temporary - reading the Daily Heil is a crime that will cling to you for life... As Danny Cip.s could say "You shag one tranny, and for the rest of your life you're labelled a tranny shagger"

Whatever next! Players switching from aftershave to isotonic post match refreshment?

Anyway I predict an emphatic Welsh win

in the battle of the anthems. Surely it's time to bring in a bit of Land of Hope and Glory so we can stuff them there as well?

No chance of that ;) Would take a hell of a lot more to top Mae'r Hen Gwlad Fy Nhadau...then again I am biased.

Guys this thread is too tame so, I'll kick things off?

Lol Englund are 2 arrogant. we r obvz gonna smash them... lol 30 -3, 30- 3, 30 -3, 2015, etc etc etc.

Seriously though, on paper I'd back England to edge us at home - but if our front 5 front up, backrow gets on top at the breakdown and the Scarlets-esque play carries on, ideally with more passes sticking / less silly miracle ball offloads, then we'll win. Big ifs away from home against a very good England side who have barely lost under EJ, but the players shouldn't have any fear of Twickenham and should have the belief that we can win this.

but still enough to read the words that were typed... That's still a hell of an amission, and you've gone down in my estimation.

Of course, for this week alone, my estimation of you is as dirt anyway; but that's just temporary - reading the Daily Heil is a crime that will cling to you for life... As Danny Cip.s could say "You shag one tranny, and for the rest of your life you're labelled a tranny shagger"

That's funny, honestly. This post is good fun, I'm sure as intentioned.

I'm creased up! Gatland's words will be echoed in all of the papers sports pages I'm sure. I read ALL the papers cover to cover religiously.

Unlike yourself I am unable to see you as dirt, not even for this week - not for the build up, nor the post - match rhetoric, whichever way it goes. I have to be careful, I live and work in the capital (of England). But promise me no throwing your toys out of the pram if it all goes peat shaped this weekend y'hear?

That's funny, honestly. This post is good fun, I'm sure as intentioned.

I'm creased up! Gatland's words will be echoed in all of the papers sports pages I'm sure. I read ALL the papers cover to cover religiously.

Unlike yourself I am unable to see you as dirt, not even for this week - not for the build up, nor the post - match rhetoric, whichever way it goes. I have to be careful, I live and work in the capital (of England). But promise me no throwing your toys out of the pram if it all goes peat shaped this weekend y'hear?
Is this a reference to our local Mod Squad - or our bog trotting cousins from Ireland? I just need to know where I stand re: prams and toys

I'd love to discover on saturday that our choice of Teo last week and our weak defence out wide was all a deliberate ploy to make wales try and put width on it early, forcing wide play prematurely before they've earned that right. Because absolutely EVERYONE is saying england are weak out wide, bit narrow etc, wales are better than Italy and can exploit the space out wide. That would be tactical genius, misdirection to make the opposition play the way you want.

And the truth I hope and believe is that we should be able to disrupt the scarlets' miracle game better than domestic sides can.

Latest posts