• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

So then boys(and girls)...Balls on the chopping block... Ireland vs France?

This.

France will want to win the game, more than they have wanted to win a game since the final 4 years ago.

Beating Ireland will put them on the easy side of the knockout draw.

I think the OP is looking for faulse hope, because he knows that man to man france are better than Ireland and he is cacking himself.

Ireland are overrated, just like England were.

Beware a French team that actually has somthing to play for.

Apart from the first two sentences this is all wrong...

Ireland's front five is better than France's with pretty even backrows, the gulf in class in the halfbacks is terrifying and there's little to separate the back threes with France probably having better centres depending on PSA's selections.

Ireland aren't overrated by many, the most extravagent claims I've heard is that they're the best Europe has to offer and genuine contenders. Considering Europe's best have almost always made the final and Ireland are two time defending 6nations champions this is a very fair assesment.

France always have something to play for in the 6nations, especially at home, yet they haven't beaten Ireland in the last World Cup cycle. I'm afraid of France because they are France and they usually beat Ireland but considering just under half of Ireland's starting line up will have never lost to them in a competitive match they'll just treat it as another game against dangerous opposition that they should beat.

Last edited:
I dislike over confident fans, if your team is defeated they are dragging you down..

It will be an exceedingly close game filled with tension no matter what happens. I hope to be cheering you French on against the AB's in Cardiff and I expect your support vs the Argentinians!

Ireland's front five is better than France's with pretty even backrows, the gulf in class in the halfbacks is terrifying and there's little to separate the back threes with France probably having better centres depending on PSA's selections.

Ireland aren't overrated by many, the most extravagent claims I've heard is that they're the best Europe has to offer and genuine contenders. Considering Europe's best have almost always made the final and Ireland are two time defending 6nations champions this is a very fair assesment.

France always have something to play for in the 6nations, especially at home, yet they haven't beaten Ireland in the last World Cup cycle. I'm afraid of France because they are France and they usually beat Ireland but considering just under half of Ireland's starting line up will have never lost to them in a competitive match they'll just treat it as another game against dangerous opposition that they should beat.

I think Ireland and England are Generally overated when you look at the bookies odds.

I don't think there is a cigarette paper thin enough to separate Wales, Ireland and England in terms of ability.

France are an enigma in that they very rarely perform to the best of their potential. Yet when they do they are by some way the best team in Europe.

I'd be very wary as an Ireland supporter, considering that this game for the French is a very important one. They can turn on their A-game for special occasions like this, and I fully expect them to.

I think Ireland and England are Generally overated when you look at the bookies odds.

I don't think there is a cigarette paper thin enough to separate Wales, Ireland and England in terms of ability.

France are an enigma in that they very rarely perform to the best of their potential. Yet when they do they are by some way the best team in Europe.

I'd be very wary as an Ireland supporter, considering that this game for the French is a very important one. They can turn on their A-game for special occasions like this, and I fully expect them to.

I'm not even sure France turned on their B-game last world cup and still got to the final! Could be an interesting match.

I wholeheartedly agree that there is really not much between Wales, Ireland and England. 2012/13 was Wales most recent era, 14/15 Ireland, and who knows maybe in 16/17 England will finally start winning some 6N again. It must be painstaking to have come 2nd so many years in a row, especially this year and last year where England wins in place of Ireland would have been imo completely legit.

I still think we will win this. Its not that Im not wary, Im pretty sure every Irish fan knows this is going to be a very tough match and no one is over confident. But still, France havent "turned it on" in about 4 years, the one time they remotely did they let in 53 points (or was it 55?)... And I was one of the biggest proponents of fearing the French flare not 3 weeks ago! Could this French team even produce the flare? I hope they can, and I hope its this WC, but I certainly hope its not 2 weeks away... Would much rather a France Ireland final!

Last edited:
I wholeheartedly agree that there is really not much between Wales, Ireland and England. 2012/13 was Wales most recent era, 14/15 Ireland, and who knows maybe in 16/17 England will finally start winning some 6N again. It must be painstaking to have come 2nd so many years in a row, especially this year and last year where England wins in place of Ireland would have been imo completely legit.

I still think we will win this. Its not that Im not wary, Im pretty sure every Irish fan knows this is going to be a very tough match and no one is over confident. But still, France havent "turned it on" in about 4 years, the one time they remotely did they let in 53 points (or was it 55?)... And I was one of the biggest proponents of fearing the French flare not 3 weeks ago! Could this French team even produce the flare? I hope they can, and I hope its this WC, but I certainly hope its not 2 weeks away... Would much rather a France Ireland final!

That would be a beautiful thing! hahahahaha

An all NH final! Watching the ANZAC army watching by the side lines would be hilarious, unlikely though.

How do you think such a final would go? I fear my man Dusautoir would put in another stormer and turn the tide in the collisions and at the breakdown, and the French would edge us.

Ireland's front five isn't better better than France's, and France's front row replacements are better than Ireland's.
I'm not sure that there's such a 'terrifying gulf in class' between our halfbacks, Ireland's halfback pairing has been playing together for years while Saint-Andre has tried 18 different partnerships since 2011, it's mostly a matter of chemistry, and no doubt Ireland is far superior in that regard.

Ireland's front five isn't better better than France's, and France's front row replacements are better than Ireland's.
I'm not sure that there's such a 'terrifying gulf in class' between our halfbacks, Ireland's halfback pairing has been playing together for years while Saint-Andre has tried 18 different partnerships since 2011, it's mostly a matter of chemistry, and no doubt Ireland is far superior in that regard.

Jack McGrath Rory Best and Mike Ross will win the scrum battle against your lads I'm sure of that. It will be the French who will be penalised at scrum time. Our scrum is a weapon now. Rock steady on our ball and brutishly powerful on opponent's feed.

That would be a beautiful thing! hahahahaha

An all NH final! Watching the ANZAC army watching by the side lines would be hilarious, unlikely though.

How do you think such a final would go? I fear my man Dusautoir would put in another stormer and turn the tide in the collisions and at the breakdown, and the French would edge us.

Wouldn't it be just brilliant? I was talking to a South African the other day, apparently it's every SANZARs fan worst nightmare to have an all NH final... Ireland vs England, Ireland vs France, Ireland vs Wales, England vs France, England vs Wales... Its gotta happen eventually, I would love if this was the year.

Seriously, I would just love if we beat France, then they go on to beat New Zealand and then the Springboks in the QFs and SFs, and we beat Argentina and Oz accordingly, and we meet again, in the final. That is my current dream WC scenario.

But yeah not bloody likely gonna happen :(

Wouldn't it be just brilliant? I was talking to a South African the other day, apparently it's every SANZARs fan worst nightmare to have an all NH final... Ireland vs England, Ireland vs France, Ireland vs Wales, England vs France, England vs Wales... Its gotta happen eventually, I would love if this was the year.

Seriously, I would just love if we beat France, then they go on to beat New Zealand and then the Springboks in the QFs and SFs, and we beat Argentina and Oz accordingly, and we meet again, in the final. That is my current dream WC scenario.

But yeah not bloody likely gonna happen :(

All our hearts would likely be crushed in the final too. This France team have a lot of guys with experience of the most RWC final tension possible in last tournament's final, and they acquitted themselves admirably. I could see Johnny Sexton missing a lot of kicks in such a final situation.

If it doesn't happen it will be the greatest game ever though.

Agreed, Ireland - and especially Sexton's kicking! - do not excel under pressure... Hopefully that will change this tournament though. Sick of seeing Ireland underperform and punch below their weight because the tension is too much! Sure we're only a wee nation of potato munchers, priests and farmers (and tax evaders) :(

you forgot Guinness drinkers!!!! but that's not a bad thing, best part of Ireland along with green lipped mussels and oysters!!!!!!!!!

You have better tight head cover, that's about it, Ireland have a loosehead who is a good shout for best in the world when fit and one of the best impact subs in the world at hooker. With O'Connell, they have the best row on the pitch and Iain Henderson has the physicality to put him up there with anyone.
Throwing Michalak up against Sexton should scare any French fan too.

Im im also not sure if I buy that France will "turn up" for a game, they have played to their potential in one game since 2010 and lost it. I don't see how they can suddenly click just because it's a World Cup.

France will have to come out, play and win this game because if they don't perform to near their potential Ireland will top the pool.

You have better tight head cover, that's about it, Ireland have a loosehead who is a good shout for best in the world when fit and one of the best impact subs in the world at hooker. With O'Connell, they have the best row on the pitch and Iain Henderson has the physicality to put him up there with anyone.

Im im also not sure if I buy that France will "turn up" for a game, they have played to their potential in one game since 2010 and lost it. I don't see how they can suddenly click just because it's a World Cup.

France will have to come out, play and win this game because if they don't perform to near their potential Ireland will top the pool.

Because they have their squad together for months prepared specifically for the tournament rather than just a week or so off the back of Top 14 rugby?

Having said that it's a moot point as there is no way France can win with PSA leading them and Ireland's favourite referee in charge.

Its quite an equal game and it will be a narrow win either way , depends a lot on who has the forward dominance , whoever dominated that area will win for me , could be game of the tournament if France turn up tho as I know Ireland will front up .

i personnally think its too difficult to predict, as a dropped pass, interception, reffing, can change a game, its 80 mins and the team that has their heads in the right place may well come out winners, a massive tackle on Sexton puts him on edge, never the best under pressure, a Michalak off form and puts on his silly head, who knows i dont think anyone is willing to put a whole buncjh off money on this one. think there willl be a mighty battle upfront with not a massive difference between the 2 packs and if Bastoicaneatbabiesforlunch, runs at Sexton who knows!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good point, and a soothing one! France have to get up for this game and increase their intensity past anything we've seen in a while. Ireland just need to maintain their performance level, maybe kick it up a little bit. Sexton will be targeted and his performance usually dips 10% in high pressure matches.

Latest posts