• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

South Africa vs British and Irish Lions - Test 2

He's not coach any more so must just have time on his hands
Gotta practise running the bottles on

adam sandler water GIF

TMO was the problem more than the ref.
You can always pick apart games after the event. That's poor from Rassie though. What an idiot. Maybe he should spend more time on tactics and fitness with his team!

What's poor is moaning about the referee BEFORE the game basically causing him to be too **** scared to make any calls that would in any way hinder the Lions. Bad refereeing performances should be condemned, just like that twat Bryce Lawrence who rightfully had his career ended after his display in 2011. One or two calls against you happens, but when it's 3 or 4 calls that could completely change the game had they stuck, they should be blasted if those were the wrong calls.

Well.... i like it. Course the principle is not particularly laudable, but this was inevitable when the people in charge dodge the elephant in the room for so long.
He is basically telling world rugby, 'you can't hide behind the curtains and play wizard of oz with me anymore. If you do, I will expose you, no matter the cost for me. Do your ******* job and things like this won't happen' He has a point.

What's poor is moaning about the referee BEFORE the game basically causing him to be too **** scared to make any calls that would in any way hinder the Lions. Bad refereeing performances should be condemned, just like that twat Bryce Lawrence who rightfully had his career ended after his display in 2011. One or two calls against you happens, but when it's 3 or 4 calls that could completely change the game had they stuck, they should be blasted if those were the wrong calls.
But the only call that was blatantly wrong was the Watson call everything else was completely justifiable.

It was correct to question a SA TMO though. You wouldn't expect one in a critical tri nations game so why make a BIL an exception. There is also moaning and then taking the time to make an hour long video which is time wasted.

Comes across like a baby who needs to spend more time improving his limited unfit team.

Rassie spent more time complaining there than England did after the absolute **** show of our game against Wales in the 6N with the same ref ******* us over in almost way he had done before, both times resulting to clarifications of the laws to prevent him pulling the stunt again. Saffas are acting like they didn't do anything wrong (eg in the Itoje turnover they love to go on about there is no mention of the Saffas who dived in off his feet at that ruck so it should have been a Lions penalty anyway). The way your lot are going on you'd think SA didn't get away with anything either. How about the Etzebeth tackle early in the game? More than 1 high shot? Diving off feet numerous times? Repeated obstruction of chasers? Being ridiculously offside at times (A good metre or more). Yeah we got the rub of the green on the tryline decisions but really all if properly reffed would have had the same outcome. Watson getting a yellow is the only one where it really should have gone the other way but then there should have been a yellow for the high tackles some of the SA players put in and Etzebeth's tackle should have at least been checked.

Officially though the whole SH has lost the right to go on about NH teams being the biggest whingers because bloody hell do SH teams go on and on and on when it doesn't go their way.

But the only call that was blatantly wrong was the Watson call everything else was completely justifiable.
Itoje on the goal line was a professional foul. Kolbe was taken out in the air, and Watsons tip tackle. 3 potential yellow cards. Nevermind the rest which Rassie points out.

I do not feel the Lions did not deserve the win, because they did. But it stings that bit extra when you know they were helped just that little bit. I am proud of the Boks, and no team was hit as hard by covid and it's implications than us. We did well just to be competitive.

Riiiight....

There were not 3 or 4 wrong calls against you, sorry

I really hate this whole narrative of "everything went against us it's disgraceful - oh but don't get me wrong the lions deserved to win..."

It feels disingenuous to me

@Ragey Erasmus covers it fine the Watson decision fine I'd be ****** if I was on the opposing team on that one. Hell I was ****** off by it as bad offciating in real time.

But the rest yeah I've watched a few clips and its all pretty standard misses in a game of rugby and its childish to suggest otherwise.

The criticism of the refs could go the other way. If you overdo it you get their backs up. They stop adopting an attitude of trying to avoid controversy and become very much "screw you then" and don't think twice about making 50:50 calls go against you

Rassie has released an hour long video picking at the refereeing in the first test, lol

best part was when he said that if he had known earyl enough, before training, that it is ok for two players to come into the ruck from the wring side and spear tackle a rucking player into the ground, then he would have coached his team to do that next week.

All feels a bit desperate now. Reminds me of Cheka during the England tour when the aussies were white washed 3 nil. Or the BOD thing back 2005. The more a side kick off about what Jim Telfer would have call superfluous things the more their chances of staying in a test series decrease.

My favourite part is when Rassie says 'look we don't want to nit-pick and show every mistake they made', whilst uploading an hour long nit-picking video
He's right though, he doesn't want to show every mistake, just the ones that SA feel went against them.

Riiiight....

There were not 3 or 4 wrong calls against you, sorry

I really hate this whole narrative of "everything went against us it's disgraceful - oh but don't get me wrong the lions deserved to win..."

It feels disingenuous to me
I didn't say everything went against us. Just that the ones that did were pretty big calls.

I noticed most of these calls during the game, and my assessment afterward was that the ref did a pretty good job, though the balance was a bit against the boks

only maybe four or five were clearly bad decisions - watson, the tackle if kolbe in the air, the man in front of the knick on not being penalised, the double in from the wrong side spear tackle.

then there were a few that were impactful but you can understand the refs missing it - the tmo decision, the rip at the end when it was already a tackle, the boks being penalised for holding on 5 metres out when they werent (it was just itoje holding the ball down onto the ground).

a few clearly wrong calls that you expect to see some of - de allende offside (that is quite unfortunate), offside at ruck when a player is over the ball. Im not sure about the foul play thing overriding the knock on?

Then quite a few 50 50s and random moaning.

i did also get that vibe during the game that the lions managed to get the ref to listen to them a lot more than the boks did.

Last edited:
Coaches at all levels could analyse their weekend game and pick out all your typical small calls during a game. At every level. As has been said, to actually do that is childish, especially at this level.

Taking heat off your players is one thing, but it can go a bit far. And again it's ok to note the things you disagreed with but if you don't mention the more important fact that south Africa lacked discipline and by the way weren't even warned for half a dozen penalties in 15-20 minutes, then you're not focusing on the right things (imo)

Watson call was massive, no doubts.
I'm surprised that MJ challenged the onfield call for the WLR try , but it was right.

I didn't say everything went against us. Just that the ones that did were pretty big calls.
I think it's fair to say that the big calls went against you, I reckon that's definitely true; whether you agreed with the calls or not, they were all the sort of thing that could have gone both ways and ultimately fell on one side. I feel like England have been in that place a lot, particularly against Wales in grand slam deciders...

I think it's another thing to say they were all clear and obvious, game changing egregious calls. I just don't think that's true except for Watsons tackle and the kick try which I think was a defensible decision.

It's all just got tremendously ugly though. Erasmus is just throwing everything at it and seeing what sticks at this point.
"The way the pressure was put on Marius Jonker in the week by Warren Gatland was uncalled for," Erasmus added..

Unlike what you're doing then mate!?

Last edited:
This is brilliant though. The ref beat SA not the lions.

If anyone watches rugby these days there are odd calls in every game. Get over it Rassie ans be better. If you are letting a ref decide who wins then you've already lost.

My biggest question is, whats rassie's angle here? To galvanise his team by getting suspended from any participation in rugby for a while?

can he really just be throwing a tanty?

either way, im looking forward to next weeks video.

and it will be interesting to see what comes of it regarding the laws of the game in general. We all know its a hard game to ref and there are a tonne if wrong calls every game, but this might put the spotligjt on it more than has ever happened before

Latest posts