• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

South Africa vs British and Irish Lions - Test 2

I think Rassie is just bored shitless in the bubble and trying to trigger. Maybe he thinks Gatland's attention on the TMO worked and is going in hard.

Incredible scenes though. Needed in a boring week!

Here's a message to Mr Erasmus, and all other Rugby coaches anywhere:

When you can produce a matchday squad of 23 players who can get through 80 minutes without making a single error, then you may be in a position to criticise the officials for errors they may have made. Until that happens, just STFU.

I think Rassie is being very astute with his actions this week (I'm a lions supporter). What he has done with calling out the officials, the link to Jaco Johan and now his hour long rant is all to take away the pressure from his team and onto him. The media is soaking absolutely everything up and gives his players peace to prepare for the test on saturday without any negative attention.

Also noting that the best second row currently in South Africa is in a lions shirt and plays for England and doesn't have a mullet!

I think Rassie is being very astute with his actions this week (I'm a lions supporter). What he has done with calling out the officials, the link to Jaco Johan and now his hour long rant is all to take away the pressure from his team and onto him. The media is soaking absolutely everything up and gives his players peace to prepare for the test on saturday without any negative attention.
Doing it deftly is astute, throwing **** at the walls and ceiling and seeing what sticks isn't astute

He's not coach any more so must just have time on his hands
Or water bottles in them.

HIA for Rassie!

Kitson wrote a few days ago in the Guardian that Rassie had come across as a complete prat in this series. God knows what he'll say tomorrow.

Don't respond, Warren. Stay classy, Lions!

Doing it deftly is astute, throwing **** at the walls and ceiling and seeing what sticks isn't astute
I would generally agree with this however if you look at the outcome of him taking these tantrums its resulted in most posts on here and most of the headlines are about him and not the team.
The best thing to do when someone acts like this is ignore but the media just cant do that

No I'm not going to watch an hour of someone acting like a spoilt child. I'm sure if someone can be arsed they'd find similar stuff for the Lions.

Do you watch rugby?

I watch a lot of rugby, sure. Not sure how you can comment on something you didn't bother with though so I'll jsut ignore your post.

I think Rassie is just bored shitless in the bubble and trying to trigger. Maybe he thinks Gatland's attention on the TMO worked and is going in hard.

Incredible scenes though. Needed in a boring week!
OTT for a certainty but Rassie has a history with such antics. Personally not a huge fan of it but I guess frustration just got to the man. His not wrong though. Just about anyone I talked to throughout the week picked up on 80% of this and felt frustrated.
Cool continue to feel hard done by what was a fairly normal refereeing display. Im sure it's healthy.
Are you sincere in calling that a normal refereeing display? Like honestly? Look I know its sport and one takes it with a bit of salt but if this is a normal refereeing performance from a NH perspective then I am quacking in my shoes at SA having moved to join the Pro14. My heart won't be able to take it LOL. But look, maybe what I see as unreasonably inconsistent inaccuracies is to you normal and that might even just be down to the fact that there are differences to the way SH and NH play the game. I was a bit snippy there for a bit and apologize for it. You see it as a normal game and are irritated by our whinging. From my side I feel our players weren't allowed to play on an equal footing. And that is frustrating. probably somewhere in the middle is the best perspective.

Last edited:
It's an interesting video from an analytical point of view. Would be better if both sides had the opportunity to do so. Also quite a good way for fans to review a referee's performance and understand the game a bit better. In regards to being able to make our own judgement.

For me a couple of things stood out. His repetitive nature about the forming of a ruck. It looked to me that it was a tactic from South Africa to 'form' a ruck as quickly as possible. His examples tended to show a South African player leaning over near a ruck, but not over the tackled player or ball. The alleged double spear clear out was an example.. Though he didn't point out the no arms tackle on Daly that lead to that..

Also watched the Watson tackle over and over. Technically it was a yellow. After it was replayed over and over I can't help but see le Roux taking a dive. It seemed he kicked his legs into the air to make it look worse. Watson lost his balance, slipped and even had both feet off the ground at one point before hitting the ground. As I said technically a yellow, but a fair call a couple of years back. It's sad to see referees are losing their ability to officiate without any room for discretion.

One last last point.. It's good to see the refs are pretty consistent with the 'accidental offside' when it comes to the Lions. Though I'd imagine the Scottish team circa 2015 wouldn't think the same..

Last edited:
As I said technically a yellow, but a fair call a couple of years back.
Without getting all Welsh, Sam Warburton would beg to differ and that was 10 years ago now.

It's been a straight yellow for far longer than a couple of years. And some refs would of happily give a red and few would complained.

Sorry it was an utterly crap call they can quite rightly feel aggrieved over that especially as it was looked at in game. The rest is sour grapes though.

Without getting all Welsh, Sam Warburton would beg to differ and that was 10 years ago now.

It's been a straight yellow for far longer than a couple of years. And some refs would of happily give a red and few would complained.

Sorry it was an utterly crap call they can quite rightly feel aggrieved over that especially as it was looked at in game. The rest is sour grapes though.
Fair call.. Wasn't as consistently policed in the past, it has only been recent times they've drawn a line in the sand though that wasn't really my point.. More about referees making decisions based on context etc.

Wow it's all kicking off in here.
eh bound to happen I'm surprised it took this long after the match I thought they'd go ballistic after the Watson and chalked off try's. I guess as the try's were correctly removed it took the initial bite out.

eh bound to happen I'm surprised it took this long after the match I thought they'd go ballistic after the Watson and chalked off try's. I guess as the try's were correctly removed it took the initial bite out.
What I find interesting is that it seems to have happened in support of Erasmus. Before it was a polite discussion, but now that people have been a bit more critical of Erasmus S.A fans have jumped to his defence.

I like it, keeping me entertained until the weekend.

Latest posts