• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

South Africa vs British and Irish Lions - Test 2

It will be interesting to see what the backlash might be from the powers that be. If any?

Certainly will put pressure on the referees but he might have gone that bit too far I don't know. Doubt Gatland will outdo Rassie in the media show this time round LOL. Hopefully it pays off and we get the rub of it this week. It certainly does add some spice.

It will be interesting to see what the backlash might be from the powers that be. If any?

Certainly will put pressure on the referees but he might have gone that bit too far I don't know. Doubt Gatland will outdo Rassie in the media show this time round LOL. Hopefully it pays off and we get the rub of it this week. It certainly does add some spice.
if the Boks lose he will just look like a broken man clinging on. Sad really.

Erasmus is mildly annoying isn't he? I wish he'd shut his pie hole. Would be funny seeing his head explode if the Lions went 2-0 up on Saturday.

Agree on the points around precedent setting from Brian Moore - it's why I think it's important to have certain boundaries on what's acceptable and isn't from coaches.

There won't be any
Yeah there won't be any for this incident fairly certain clear guidelines may come in after it though. Finding the right line will be hard this goes beyond what should be allowed, Gats being miffed about a same nationality appointment or Rassie miffed about the Watson call are probably fine. Where you get to in between is complicated.

I suppose I view everything from an American lens, so I see Gatland's comments about the TMO and see a $100k fine from an organization like the NFL. Questioning the integrity and professionalism of a ref is a big no-no here. Then Rassie followed up with a more direct hit on a ref - that would likely be a $250k fine.

Overall, Gatland and Rassie would be punished in the USA and it appears that Rassie is doubling down on his instincts.

What I find interesting is that Gatland found out that Jonker would be TMO on the Wednesday but chose to wait until Friday before he vented his anger to the press - that was pure gamesmanship and an attempt to influence Jonker immediately before the game. Rassie's rant about the tip tackle was after the match and more valid.

Rassie slamming Nic Berry in the video is his way of telling Ben O'Keefe to start listening to Kolisi more and that we're due a few more 50/50 calls or I'll be calling you out in next week's video. As entertaining as it is there does seem to be a bit of a shift towards how Premier league football managers behave. Given the online abuse officials could receive the coaches should probably be banned from talking about officials both before and after the games.

I suppose I view everything from an American lens, so I see Gatland's comments about the TMO and see a $100k fine from an organization like the NFL. Questioning the integrity and professionalism of a ref is a big no-no here. Then Rassie followed up with a more direct hit on a ref - that would likely be a $250k fine.

Overall, Gatland and Rassie would be punished in the USA and it appears that Rassie is doubling down on his instincts.
Gats' comments are a tad more complex we have neutral referees in international sports for very good reasons he was questioning the reasoning behind and governing body for not having a non-neutral ref. He wasn't really calling into question his integrity or professionalism if he was you have to agree there is no point to neutral refs being the norm and thats an entirely different can of worms.

if the Boks lose he will just look like a broken man clinging on. Sad really.
If the Bokke win would this look any better though? From where I sit if the Bokke won and there were clear mistakes favoring us Rassie would look just as bad if not worse off. Even if it were a perfectly reffed game there would and probably should be an air of did Erasmus pressure the ref? It would look as if his little gambit payed dividends. If we lose, why would he "look like a broken man man clinging on"?
Agree on the points around precedent setting from Brian Moore - it's why I think it's important to have certain boundaries on what's acceptable and isn't from coaches.
Sure but where are the lines and where were these comments from @BrianMoore666 last week? It should either be all or nothing that is allowed. There is too much room for interpretation otherwise.
Gatland is and always has been far more than mildly annoying.
Don't forget Eddie Jones. They're all guilty of throwing mud in the media.

Sure but where are the lines and where were these comments from @BrianMoore666 last week? It should either be all or nothing that is allowed. There is too much room for interpretation otherwise.
Gats questioned the appointment a non-neutral referee there's a huge gap between that and what Erasmus has just done.

Gats' comments are a tad more complex we have neutral referees in international sports for very good reasons he was questioning the reasoning behind and governing body for not having a non-neutral ref. He wasn't really calling into question his integrity or professionalism if he was you have to agree there is no point to neutral refs being the norm and thats an entirely different can of worms.
What he was alluding to was that because the TMO was South African, he couldn't be trusted to be impartial.

What he was alluding to was that because the TMO was South African, he couldn't be trusted to be impartial.
Yes he was, which is why neutral referee's are appointed to all international matches. You think they do that because referees are trusted to be neutral or impartial?

Let's just say, if any club coach had released a video like that - they'd have already received their (lengthy) touchline ban, and probably required to do some form of community service (probably a ref's course and reffing a few amateur matches)

Yes he was, which is why neutral referee's are appointed to all international matches. You think they do that because referees are trusted to be neutral or impartial?
I guess it's a bizarre mindset from my perspective. In the NFL/NBA/MLB/NHL refs come from all over the USA and they ref teams in their hometown or home state or home region. And no one really bats an eye.

Also, the major American sports leagues moved to centralized review locations. Why does the TMO even need to be in Cape Town? Build a centralized review area in some location, hire a global reffing Czar, and let him & his team make the TMO decisions.

Gats questioned the appointment a non-neutral referee there's a huge gap between that and what Erasmus has just done.
Yes I wouldn't argue that the one is a cheeky stab and the other a bloody massacre but it could also be said that Gats' had a clear effect and Rassie is so hard to the point it might actually end up backfiring. What I am getting at is if the ref staff are to be protected from outside influence then they need to be protected from outside influence.

Yes I wouldn't argue that the one is a cheeky stab and the other a bloody massacre but it could also be said that Gats' had a clear effect and Rassie is so hard to the point it might actually end up backfiring. What I am getting at is if the ref staff are to be protected from outside influence then they need to be protected from outside influence.
If Rassie is to be trusted, it appears that the appeal process in World Rugby is pretty broken. Multi-week reviews for on-field decisions is a farce. They should have full reports within 48-72 hours.

I guess it's a bizarre mindset from my perspective. In the NFL/NBA/MLB/NHL refs come from all over the USA and they ref teams in their hometown or home state or home region. And no one really bats an eye.

Also, the major American sports leagues moved to centralized review locations. Why does the TMO even need to be in Cape Town? Build a centralized review area in some location, hire a global reffing Czar, and let him & his team make the TMO decisions.
We don't really question it on a domestic level although I would suggest Cricket is probably the one with most recent history to why neutral officials are appointed to look up on it. Even as recent as the 90's they didn't appoint neutral umpires. This led to many many dubious calls that you can watch video evidence of, of course the advent of technology and referrals has mitigated that a lot.

Latest posts