• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

South Africa vs British and Irish Lions - Test 2

@TRF_Olyy please delete my account and all messages here like WelshExile I have had enough of the toxic atmosphere and no longer want to be a part of it
144814496-8b0e8f3d-cd07-475f-8439-23eb034f0f97.jpg

The reality is with the forwards we are merely tweaking than fixing. Sure we could all probably name a better forward pack but it won't be leagues ahead of what we've played. The bench options are all equally fine.

However the problem is tactical and slightly personalle. We don't have a scrum half that's great for high tempo games but that isn't instantly fixed because none of the Lions nations have an international in form who is. Then at 10 *sigh* Biggar os fine but he's never been dynamic and Farrell is far worse. Gatland is never picking a Russell/Smith/Ford type as Ive said all along and fron there its just ****** and nothing is going to fix that unless Gats gets COVID and Townsend is put in charge.

I actually thought Curry had a decent game today? His tackling was extremely physical
Same,
He's not playing his usual game but he was decent enough

I rate Watson massively but I don't think he'd improve the side by starting, when we already look underpowered
Off the bench against (hopefully) tired legs is where he'd shine

The biggest thing for me is this is the 3rd game in a row now against SA where the Lions have shown no real attacking plan. Just hoof the ball at them and hope for the best. We don't appear to even have a clear idea of whether we contest or look to turnover the player when they land. It's pretty damning on Townsend and Gatland just how atrocious the attack is.
To be fair i do think the high balls has worked well. It has caused lots of confusion. Its a clear strategy. One i thought worked for a good while

Same,
He's not playing his usual game but he was decent enough

I rate Watson massively but I don't think he'd improve the side by starting, when we already look underpowered
Off the bench against (hopefully) tired legs is where he'd shine
I agree. I thought Curry and Itoje were really good in the first half.

Watson had a poor game.
Crazy considering his catching ability is a big plus with England on the wing.
I still see Watson as being the safest to retain his place, though. I think Williams has to come in for Hogg and potentially Adams for van der Merwe although I still think van der Merwe can offer more than Adams outside of being in the right place at the right time, and to be fair, Adams I thin is also better under the high ball.

I reckon it'll be Duhan, Adams, Williams back three

Duhan wasn't great today (yellow card, 0m made) but probably has enough credit in the bank from this tour to retain his spot - and I don't think Gatland would throw LRZ in there

The reality is with the forwards we are merely tweaking than fixing. Sure we could all probably name a better forward pack but it won't be leagues ahead of what we've played. The bench options are all equally fine.

However the problem is tactical and slightly personalle. We don't have a scrum half that's great for high tempo games but that isn't instantly fixed because none of the Lions nations have an international in form who is. Then at 10 *sigh* Biggar os fine but he's never been dynamic and Farrell is far worse. Gatland is never picking a Russell/Smith/Ford type as Ive said all along and fron there its just ****** and nothing is going to fix that unless Gats gets COVID and Townsend is put in charge.
I agree in principal but what's the point of a scrum half with high tempo when the tactic is just to brainlessly kick it?

I'm just so confused. After the type of players selected for the tour in the loose forwards and then the attempt utilise the forwards in a fast paced, ball through the hands play in the early games - what the **** happened to that? What was the point of even trying to play like that in the warm up games?

EDIT: & WTF is the point of having Townsend as the attack coach? Was he just a smoke screen and they smuggled in Howley??

Even worse than the second Lions performance will be the South African fans. Literally he WORST winners in world rugby.
This makes you look like a bad loser.

But i dont want it to get there. No **** slinging needed.

We have a test decider coming up and another week of intense speculation. What more can we ask ? If Lions won the series was over. Surely the rugby purists would love that it has now extended to a third week.

But i feel your pain Lions fans. I emphasise for I felt it last weekend. May the final encounter be legendary and may Gatland and Rassie bring us next level entertainment in the press in the coming week.

I don't think it really matters what the forwards do under today's circumstances it was fairly even with SA probably edging slightly but if you lose almost every 50/50 under a constant kick fest your always struggling, parity or not, I thought Curry had a pretty good game, it's always going to be difficult to stand out in a test of this nature.

I reckon it'll be Duhan, Adams, Williams back three

Duhan wasn't great today (yellow card, 0m made) but probably has enough credit in the bank from this tour to retain his spot - and I don't think Gatland would throw LRZ in there
If credit in the bank was a thing then Adams would have started by now.

If credit in the bank was a thing then Adams would have started by now.
Aye, very true

I honestly don't understand him not being there - only thing I can think is they wanted Watson on the wing because they anticipated a kickfest and wanted the extra fullback experience (which, obviously, worked out really well...)

Aye, very true

I honestly don't understand him not being there - only thing I can think is they wanted Watson on the wing because they anticipated a kickfest and wanted the extra fullback experience (which, obviously, worked out really well...)
Head not in the right place after the baby?

This makes you look like a bad loser.

But i dont want it to get there. No **** slinging needed.

We have a test decider coming up and another week of intense speculation. What more can we ask ? If Lions won the series was over. Surely the rugby purists would love that it has now extended to a third week.

But i feel your pain Lions fans. I emphasise for I felt it last weekend. May the final encounter be legendary and may Gatland and Rassie bring us next level entertainment in the press in the coming week.
Does it? I absolutely don't dispute the Boks we're the better team today. I have no problem whatsoever in saying that. 100% happy to give credit to the team on the field. My distaste comes entirely from the fans post RWC.

Does it? I absolutely don't dispute the Boks we're the better team today. I have no problem whatsoever in saying that. 100% happy to give credit to the team on the field. My distaste comes entirely from the fans post RWC.

Mate don't have a look at the Lions Facebook feed, it's full of them. They've all come out of the woodwork, strangely they were absent last week.

Latest posts