• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Sports Personality of the Year 2008

He won't win that many. I'm fairly certain of that.

I can see him getting two or three though.

Not according to Federer:

Don't crown Murray yet: Federer

Former world number one Roger Federer says Andy Murray needs to win a grand slam event before he can even be considered the favourite to claim the Australian Open.

Federer, who will take part in the Kooyong Classic beginning tomorrow, has tolerated a barrage of questions about Murray's chances at Melbourne Park since the Scot moved to a 5-2 career record over the Swiss with his three-set victory in the semi-finals of the Doha ATP event last weekend.

Murray (pictured), currently ranked fourth in the world, went on to win the Doha ***le and his recent solid form has led some British bookmakers to install him as favourite to lift the Norman Brookes Challenge Cup on February 1.

Federer, a three-time Australian Open champion, says Murray is yet to prove he can dominate the field in a major.

"Winning a grand slam is a different animal," he said.

"Not many guys have been able to win grand slams in the last few years - Rafa (Rafael Nadal) and me, we took a lot of them and Novak (Djokovic) won last year, Marat (Safin) won here a few years ago.

"It doesn't happen that easily."

Federer says he recognises that Murray has a "chance" of winning the Australian Open, but he feels he is just one of several contenders.

http://blogs.abc.net.au/grandstand/2009/01...crown-murr.html

Personally I'm inclined to think Nadal, Federer or Djokovic should be up there. Djokovic especially, seeing as it's his ***le he's defending. I suppose we'll have to wait and see.

Like I say, the hard courts don't suit Nadal's game because he likes to wear players out and play around the court but the hard courts don't give him the chance to do this (this is why he's so good on clay). He's never been a big server and a lot of hard court games can be decided purely on brute force.

Murray has really got into Federers head, hes lost their last four meetings and Fed is trying to live off past glories to make himself the favourite. Djokovic seems to be finding some form again, after losing in the first round last week he has to get to the final this week to overtake Federer as world no.2. Which would hopefully make Federer shutup and concentrate on winning something rather than moaning and scrapping the barrel for him to be favourite.

Latest posts