• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Springboks vs Wallabies, July 24th 2010, Third Tri Nations Test

I haven't seen anything good from Habana in a while. He hasn't adapted to the changed game, he spends all of his time hanging out on the wing, basically meaning he's not in the play unless he's forced into it. Plus on defense he rushes up for the intercept leaving huge exploitable gaps.

I haven't seen anything good from Habana in a while. He hasn't adapted to the changed game, he spends all of his time hanging out on the wing, basically meaning he's not in the play unless he's forced into it. Plus on defense he rushes up for the intercept leaving huge exploitable gaps.

I thought he's had a pretty good work rate. In my opinion he needs to spend more getting himself in position from set plays, rather than assisting so much in the rucks.

The thing with Habana is that when the momentum is with his team things go his way but when his team is struggling it can make him seem ordinary. Im not trying to make comparisons but for the sake of my point take Lomu for example..Dagg, Tim Horan and Jeff Wilson when these names Ive mentioned are playing for a struggling team they can still shine. They come up with big plays or do the little things consistently well that forces you to notice them and makes commentators remind you about them.

Bryan is a great winger with great speed and a reliable finisher when in space but he is only hot when his team is. When Steyn cant get in to position and territory to put up a bomb for him that takes away from Habana, when he cant get invisible enough to pop up and intercept a pass, when the backline is not putting him in and when the defence is watching him closely Habana cant shine.

Dont get it twisted I like Habana hes scored some great tries and I have him in my current tri-nations team but hes not a big line breaker just a guy that can really pounce on an oppertunity.

Last edited:
I couldn't say, I haven't seen enough of the other SA wings. I think more importantly Habana needs a kick in the ass - kinda like Rokocoko. If Habana finds out he's no longer a definite starter than he'll at least pick up his act (or go to Europe... :p).

His fingers are clearly bent when around Pocock's eyes, either in a raking or a gouging motion. If you use the same motion at Burger used on your own eyes, it hurts like buggery and is definitely a rake. We are looking at a long-time ban here.

That was much much worse than i remember! He should be cited, no doubt about it, that deserves a lengthy ban. Absolutely disgusting.

Whoever made it needs to dig out that "Hello, my name is Schalk and i will be your ocular surgeon today" picture :p

Last edited by a moderator:
And why is Butch James part of the squad then? CJ van der Linde? They play in Europe.

Van de Linde currently has a contract with WP, and will be going to the Cheetahs for next years S15...
And why they are in the squad? To investigate options ahead of the WC, lets just say that Herkie Kruger, Louis Strydom and Monty Dumond/ Steve Meyer/Jacques Louis Potgeiter are not really ideal back-up options to Steyn.

Please explain why you think Craig Burden deserves a chance at international level. Not that I am bemoaning your opinion, I just cannot wrap my head around the fact that somone could think a player who has yet to develop actual hooking abilities, should be considered for national selection.

Please explain why you think Craig Burden deserves a chance at international level. Not that I am bemoaning your opinion, I just cannot wrap my head around the fact that somone could think a player who has yet to develop actual hooking abilities, should be considered for national selection.

That's not my point. At this stage the Tri-Nations is lost and we can rather use the matches the Boks play now to give a chance to some talent and let them gain experience. I know Burden is not World Class but I think he is definitely a future Bok-hooker. Keeping that in mind, he should get a chance to at least be part of the Bok squad in stead of those washed out, over the hill veterans.

Same goes for Keegan Daniel, Patrick Lambie and Gerhard van den Heever

That's not my point. At this stage the Tri-Nations is lost and we can rather use the matches the Boks play now to give a chance to some talent and let them gain experience. I know Burden is not World Class but I think he is definitely a future Bok-hooker. Keeping that in mind, he should get a chance to at least be part of the Bok squad in stead of those washed out, over the hill veterans.

Same goes for Keegan Daniel, Patrick Lambie and Gerhard van den Heever

I think Keegan Daniel is considered too small/light to play for the Boks. A shame really, as he is an excellent player...

Burger is just like Bakkies Botha in the sense that they are both dirty players, I mean Bakkies is a fantastic player, always makes his presence felt on the field and is fantastic at the ruck area, when he isnt cheating of course. However Burger in my opinion is a completely over rated player and should not even have a place in the Spring Bok team. Yes ok he tackles really well...but thats really all he can do, he doesnt do any of the other technical stuff required of a backrow like cleaning out rucks, Burger doesnt even have a clue when to hit a ruck. He isnt a bad ball carrier but its not like he even sees the ball very often. Heinrich Brussow is more than double the calibre of player Schalk will ever be and i think that Francois Louw has completely outclassed burger in recent weeks. Pocock embarrassed Burger yesterday on a number of occassions, he was simply outclassed and Schalk was completely aware of this, hence why he resorted to his usual dirty tactics. Eye-gouging is an offence he has been punished for before (Lions Tour- Luke FitzGerald i believe), so a repeat offence is likely to be met with much more serious repercussions. In fairness to Pocock it shows the calibre of player he is not to even retaliate and just carry on with the game, he was a massive difference between the two teams on that day he simply destroyed RSA at the breakdown.

Yep played in good spirit and played very well did Pocock yesterday. It would have been easy for Pocock to take a swing at Burger given that Pocock was on top and Burger underneath but he showed true professionalisim.

Cooky can clear this up again, im sure Australia can mention it to the citing committee or at least nominate the gouge for review?

I missed it but the Thrilling threesome in the com box mentioned it.

A sad state of affairs really for SA rugby. Have such an unbelievable pool talent but with PDV in charge its all going to waste.

Burger clearly made a raking movement near the eyes of pocock and there does seem to be intent to inflict pain and damage however this can not be proved. Burger may have been provoked by the aggresive take down by Pocock however this is no excuse to the behavior shown by Burger. This is also a repeat offense by Burger and his actions have both been dangerous and unacceptable. Taking all evidence and information into account, I would hand Burger a ban of 50 weeks.
Players need to understand that any dangerous action near the face of a player is unacceptable.

Burger clearly made a raking movement near the eyes of pocock and there does seem to be intent to inflict pain and damage however this can not be proved. Burger may have been provoked by the aggresive take down by Pocock however this is no excuse to the behavior shown by Burger. This is also a repeat offense by Burger and his actions have both been dangerous and unacceptable. Taking all evidence and information into account, I would hand Burger a ban of 50 weeks.
Players need to understand that any dangerous action near the face of a player is unacceptable.

Its a repeat offence within a year, give or take a week or two. Shocking.

IMO the video looks a lot worse than the reality. Pocock does not react in any way to what Burger does. There isn't even a "positive" reaction of trying to pull his face away from Burger's hand or any attempt to push Burger's hand away. Usually, the reaction if the "victim" is a clue. It would be impossible for anyone to not react to a finger in the eye... protecting the eyes is an instinctive and natural reflex action.

He does, he puts pressure on Burgers neck. Probably a bit of a shock to have someone poke him in the eye at that level of rugby.
Plus he went to a GPS school where you're taught not to retaliate against unsportsman like conduct. regardless of it being an affective eye gouge or not doesn't void the fact that his hand is in contact with Pococks eye area.

It would be impossible for anyone to not react to a finger in the eye... protecting the eyes is an instinctive and natural reflex action.

Very true and the reaction would be the victim slightly bending over and covering their eyes with maybe a few big blinks. You cant really swing at someone when your mind tells you your eyes have been injured.

Latest posts