• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Suggestions/ideas for Rugby 2012

The gameplay should be designed to be played with a south terrace view like the Madden series, to better show the realistic alignment of attack and defence and allow the player to spot space on the field easier.

in rugby 2012, it think it would be great to have more kicking options. in 08 you could use chip kicks but only in set moves. there should be a chip kick option aswell as grubbers, punts and up and unders. rating of the players is big matter. young players need to be ranked properly, unlike rugby 08 where if someone had not been heard of, they were given any statistics (example: lachy turner. australian winger for the waratahs. in rugby 08 he has a speed of 48. it is absurd to think a winger on any rugby team in the world, can be ranked with the speed of 48). this meaning mostly that players such as david pocock, quade cooper, will genia, james o'connor (wallabies) and the other young players in rugby union playing at the higher levels should have proper ratings unlike false ratings they were given in rugby 2008 to save time. everything else i have read sounds awesome, cant wait for it to come out.

YES. Actually give people real stats. and if your including the ITM and Currie cups, put in the Shute Shield aswell, shouldn't be too hard.

Need to make the tackles more real, if someone is standing and a guy runs straight into him the guy running is more likely to break the tackle or go forward, unless the tackler gives him a good hit from the side. Just things to make the game run better and look more real. Add it the jersy pull tackles, make it so there is like 40-50 diffrent types of tackles not just 20-30

Needs more steps and and fends and shoulders, add like spins too maybe? Make it feel less arcade so you can step a player 5 metres away by just hitting step and changing direction, insteed of it only working it that litte mode

Use players aggresiveness too, if its high make them power forward with the ball in hand, and go for bigger hits on defense and in the rucks and mauls.

Add more oppstions in the lineouts too, short lineouts and stuff.

Pretty much agree with all the comments above. Improved graphics, with Madden engine and animations (you could get hundreds) taht make the gameplay more realistic.

Also, update the roosters, and keep them updapted with on line features, make sure the players look like they are really and make most of them unique, with their actual boots, hairstyle, skin colour, gestures, etc

And of course, make the set pieces more real and disputable.

I'll keep posting as I come through new ideas.

Cheers

Don't know if anyone really remembers this that much, or if they did, liked it that much, but I was a big fan of Rugby 2001's camera angle that was side-on during scrums and at the breakdown, but would move back to end-on when the ball was coming out of the ruck so by the time the ball was out, you'd be back to the end-on angle. I like the end-on idea (maybe because I'm a fullback), as it gives a much better scope of the field than the side-on view, which lacks the depth of view IMHO, but side-on view is definitely better at the breakdown and during scrums.

There needs to be a way to execute switches and loops in open play. Maybe make bumper button+pass button do those moves, and move the hand-off/charge back to the joystick. Also the sidestepping needs to be modified. Instead of having and entire animation for it, maybe you hit the joystick in on direction and the player performs one step. That way you could step past several defenders instead of doing one "sidestep" and then not have control of the player for 10 meters.
For some reason the computer's centers punt for clearance better than flyhalves, even when their kicking rating is lower.
Interceptions are actually relatively rare. The computer seems to like to make 5 passes in a row when in really tight space. Of course that tight space is there because every player chases the ball around the field like a ten year old.
It might help for the controls to be more sensitive. Rugby is a game of timing, and its hard to time things when it takes so long to pass and kick.
Oh and I don't know what the fascination is with commentators talking **** in sports games, but usually when someone misses a penalty from 50m on the sideline, they don't say it's a terrible miss.

Last edited:
God, yes. Commentary needs to be fixed on that front; it's the same in all kinds of games. I lost to Italy with American Samoa on FIFA WC2010 the other day and was told that it was the kind of game I should be winning.

With those long shots at goal, the commentator should be saying something like "And it's not quite there." or maybe even say "Well, they might regret that decision to kick for goal.". Unless, of course, you miss by 20m. Then it actually is a terrible miss. Commentary in sports games is so one-dimensional.

sorry if this has been suggested already;

At ruck time, id like to choose the speed (if at all) my players hit the ruck, ranging from normal commitment to flying in and clearing out.

eg - press x to commit normally and make an attempt to take the ball (very unlikely to win ball, but also unlikely to give away penalty), square to commit moderatly hard, (more likely to win ball but also more likely to result in penalty) and triangle, full speed (may result in turnover, may result in hadling error by oppo scrum half, but also likely to give away a pen if clearing out).

That way if your defending for your life on the 5 metre, you can try to force the turnover, instead of click R3 for a definate penalty and absolutely no benefit what so ever. at all. ever.

I like that idea too, but maybe with L1 or L2 + whichever button is used for joining a ruck rather than a different button for each. Just think it'd be easier to let go of or hold L1/L2 when you want to change the commitment level for each player rather than switching from X to square to triangle.

I like that irishboy. I was actually just about to edit my post to that extent. Rucking does not have to necessarily be poaching the ball McCaw style, but it can also be counter-rucking. Also, on the PC version, clicking R3 doesn't do anything.

Pretty much agree with all the comments above. Improved graphics, with Madden engine and animations (you could get hundreds) taht make the gameplay more realistic.

Also, update the roosters, and keep them updapted with on line features, make sure the players look like they are really and make most of them unique, with their actual boots, hairstyle, skin colour, gestures, etc

And of course, make the set pieces more real and disputable.

I'll keep posting as I come through new ideas.

Cheers
Best typo ever.

I agree with juggernauter

rooster.jpg
when this rooster get out dated I am going to want the new and improved rooster..
attack-of-the-giant-rooster.jpg

like that bad boy...

gameface would be awsome !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! please put gameface!!!!!!!!

Have the player slow down when he turns while running.
Be able to hold the ball up ingoal when you tackle someone.
Be able to contest at the scrum.
Pick and go.

Look all and all almost the whole game should be re made.

Like better create a player
Realistick boots
A hitstick would be great
Manager mode where you start at the bottom
A superstar mode where you start at the bottom
The difficulty is way too EASY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And also if you could create your own set pieces , defensive lines and lineout moves would be incredible.
And a personalised run up for goal kicking.

Cherz

First of all let me just say how happy and relieved I am that a Rugby game is actually being planned for future release even though it could be a long wait :) EA have managed to destroy the Rugby video game legacy by either ignoring the sport or rushing the games and making it look bad. If I was to make any suggestions it would be along the lines of make the game worthwile and add depth to the game.

EA Rugby games had decent graphics and animations and were fun to play but the major point missing from the games was longevity and depth. I just couldn't play it for more than an hour or two because it got oh so boring very quickly. All I ask for is a Manager Mode and Superstar Mode much like Madden. Even though my grasp of American Football was pretty poor at first I soon got into it and love it to this day because of the amount of time I spent playing the Madden games.

All the Rugby games need is some more depth and more purpose. All the leagues such as the Guinness Premiership, Top 14, Magners League and Super 15 must be included in a Manager Mode type structure and must have a purpose rather than just be playable. The teams can qualify at the end of the season for the Heineken Cup (please be licensed) or the Amlin Challenge Cup and teams can have set budgets based on real life e.g. French teams would have tons of money whereas English teams would be restricted due to a salary cap.

Players could be transferred or move clubs during or at the end of the season; players may choose to leave based on money or they may stay loyal to their clubs. Players might choose to move or stay based on their eagerness to play for their country etc. All these elements could be intergrated into Superstar Mode where your player has a personality and a purpose. Your player might be an aggressive lock or a conservative full back. You could have a player who enjoys life outside Rugby that it could hinder his choices on the field and his career?

The superstar mode could be branching so a player's career depends on the decisions and choices he makes along the way. For example you might be a bright young openside flanker who chooses to train at the right times and play to the best of his ability on the field. He may be rewarded for that by being called up for his country or getting picked for the Lions squad etc. If you choose to not train or other players ego's get in your way to the top then you might choose to move clubs or move to another country to get to the top another way for example?

Both the manager mode and superstar mode could be integrated online or you could just have an online rugby game with people all across the world much like Fifa has. The online mode could also update player stats based on real life play.

Even though these elements seem like a long way away in the future they're the elements that will keep people interested. People will want to play more and find out what happens to their team or player based on their decision making. Even if it starts out very basic, for me it's far more important than flashy graphics and animations. As long as the game runs smoothly and looks decent then that's all that matters.

Good luck and thanks a lot for bringing some hope back for Rugby games :)

1) A Be A Pro mode would be nice where you make your own player and start off on the bench for a weak side and then get him promoted to starting line up, then contracted to a beter team, then national team, then like the barbarians or british lions...
2) Coach mode where you are given a weak team thats almost relegated and then you have to help them to promotion and then you get signed for bigger unions etc etc but you have the choice if you want to play the match or watch your team play and make team changes according to what you are seeing and player fitness and fatigue also have to play a role...
3) More competitions please like french top 14, currie cup, ITM cup, guiness premiership and heineken cup and also a lions tour...
4) Make the game harder, it gets boring to win the world cup with japan and make the computer more inteligent like more interceptions when you throw a risky pass and charge downs when you have to kick fast and under pressure...
5) Game changing moments like a drop goal or a turnover with 10 seconds left and a try saving tackle on the hooter...
6) Updated kits and rosters would be great...
7) The new zealand haka's would add to the excitement...
8) Team celebrations must be improved like the champagne and confetti and fire works and roaring fans and then the victory lap...
9) More options on fans like at loftus there's lots of bulls flags and then maybe as the team comes out their song plays and there shouldn't always be a full crowd only for big and important matches their should be full crowds...
10) More options on player footwear and protective kit and bandages etc etc...

THANKS ALOT I APPRECIATE YOUR EFFORT AND TRUST THAT YOU WILL MAKE A GREAT GAME !!! :)

First of all, I must say that Rugby 06 and 08 have provided me of countless hours of great fun. Anyhow, I do think there are several issues that must be fixed. I'll go by parts:

1) The competitions: If this game is going to be uo there with the biggest sporting games, it must have lots of competitions and cups you can play in.

I'd like to see the World Cup, Quad Nations, Six Nations, Lions Tour, Barbarians Fixtures and Churchill Cup, the Aviva Premiership, the Magners League, Heineken Cup, French Top 14, Super 15, ITM Cup and the Currie Cup.

In addition you could get the Anglo Welsh Cup, the Shute Shield, the British & Irish Cup and the Challenge Cup.

2) The gameplay: Sometimes it felt in past rugby games as if you were playing some pre-determined game between two teams made up by robots. So:

Re-formule all the field position stuff, so you can play positively with your bak three, send your back row to cut down the opposition fly half, make new defensive features like the draft or blitz defence, make a multiple attacking kicks list of options (grubbers not that easy, chip kicks, dummy kicks), make it so your entire team doesn't go after the ball and run away like a band of headless chicken. }

Make the movement more fluid, every time you make a hand off or sidestep a rival, it's the exact same movement all over again. Maybe create a FIFA like bag of tricks, with your right stick?

3) The tackles: Make much, much more tackle options and animations (you could get tons from the Madden games). so that you have like 100 different tackle options, like it's supposed to be. Maek some type of tackle-o-meter so when it's full (by momentum) you can put in a big, big hit.

4) The breakdown, scrum and line outs: Make them more of a challenge, and less of a lottery. The momentum bar in the scrum is a good idea, but bad developed. There must be some kind of lineaout-calls editor, so you can really mix them up. And in the breakdown make it less of a lottery and let the rucks be more realistic. I know it's hard but it's the core of our game.

5) Animations and players: Although some players were incredibly well reproduced in recent rugby games (Umaga, Wilkinson, Carter, Mortlock, Tuqiri, O'Gara), the vast majority of them were model faces (David Strettle was bald and Dan Parks is a black guy), so taking the time to ensure mot players look the ay they are in real life would be just awesome. And maximize the potential of the PS3 in terms of graphics.

In the animations topic, it's fair to say that the more animations available, the more realistic the game becomes. FIFA 10 features all new goal keeper animations and that makes it really realistic, and things such as the 360° control feature makes a good game a great one. I think these idea could be succesfully applied to Rugby 2012, so that the player with the ball is really free to decide what to do next.

And, last but not least, is the player likeness and reality topic. Make sure you get the right animations for, say, kickers (Quade Cooper, Jonny Wilkinson, Morné Steyn, Chris Paterson, Ronan O'Gara, Matt Giteau, Andy Goode, Dan Carter, Mirco Bergamasco, Francois Trinh-Duc, Morgan Parra, Dan Biggar, Stephen Jones, Romain Toulet "the robot", Stirling Mortlock, Gavin Henson, Felipe Contepomi, Francois Steyn, James O'Connor, Tovy Flood, and many more).

Also, keep the rosters updated, maybe via the internet, and make sure the player ratings are correctly assigned. No star players please! Rugby is a team sport, whether real or virtual.

And, finally, the stadiums! Make them as atmospherical as you can. Give the fans a big issue!

My big desire is that you guys take this really seriously and produce a great game. Take your time to develop it and I'll buy it as soon as it's out!

Keep up the good work and real, real thanks for what you are doing!

Cheers.

I daresay all these have propbably been mentioned ad nasium but since I dont have much time to read through I would like to see the following:

World Cup,
Six nations,
Tri/quad nations,
Heineken Cup,
Amlin Challenge Cup,
Super 14/15,
Magners,
Aviva Prem,
Top 14,
Lions tours,
Currie Cup,
Air NZ cup,
Pacific 5 nations,

thats as far as 'official' comps go anyway lol, though that world league mode was pretty good though after 2 or 3 seasons once some half decent players had been obtained was really easy even on hard. How about some scenarios, the dont nessecarily have to be from 4/5 years ago (where team lineups would be different and be more of a pain) you could have some from the last 2 seasons or so e.g. recreate (or rewrite) Toulon vs Cardiff Blues in the Amlin final.

Also how about some unlockable 'classic' teams for acheiving certain goals e.g. win a lions tour in new zealand on hard to unlock say the 1971 lions that sort of thing. I daresay not asll these ideas will become reality but hay heres to hoping lol :D

Latest posts