• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Super 14 winner vs. Heineken Cup winner?

K

KZNSharksFan

As the AB's and Wallabies are playing a Bledisloe Cup match in Hong Kong later this year, many have been touting a sort of seasonal exhibition match where the winners of the Super 14 and Heineken Cup play off to decide upon a world Franchise champion.

This would certainly demolish all Northern Claims of superiority :p , but would also provide a spectacle of Rugby. I personally am very keen on this idea.

Thoughts?

Its a good idea but it all depends on the time in the season for both Hemispheres. I don't know what the current scheduling is up north, but if its anything like the League world cup challenge then its silly due to the time of season for both teams imo. So Leeds won, it doesn't really justify that they are the actual best club in the world as there are many factors count against that very fact.

I'd love for any southern Hemisphere team to thrash them "champions of the north" lol

Also at the mo theres the ELV's to consider?

can-of-worms.jpg

The future of this thread:

- "lolz teh cruzadrez nd teh bluez wud dik on dem borin norf pplz"

- "allez les toulouse!"

- "go de sharkies. and da bullz!"

- "wasps wud beet em all coz there defenss iz gd and stuff"

And repeat ad nauseum.

<div class='quotemain'>

- "lolz teh cruzadrez nd teh bluez wud dik on dem borin norf pplz"

[/b]

Couldn't have said it better myself ;) [/b][/quote]
I think you could have wairarapa...

then: "lolz teh cruzadrez nd teh bluez wud dik on dem borin norf pplz"
now: "loz teh cruzadrez nd teh bluez wud pwn dem n00bz reppin teh norf. ZOMG OWNED JOO"

....roflcopter...

As much as I would like to see this fixture, there is no place for it in the current over congested NH season. The main culprit being the Top14, the longest championship in the world.

:blink: It's not a French team is gonna win away!

Also this match will have to be played on a big floating rugby field off the west coast of Africa, where it's 0 degrees longitude and 0 degrees latitude, because Northies will play the race card if it's any hemisphere

Until we play the same Global Calendar this match will be pointless. I think we'd all like to see it happen, but at the moment one team will be at the end of their season, while the other is just kicking off. Pointless.

I wonder if Biarritz were in this final whether they actually start to try.

To be fair, if the Ospreys were to end up winning the Heineken cup i would be petrified to see them play against the likes of Crusaders etc.

Until we play the same Global Calendar this match will be pointless. I think we'd all like to see it happen, but at the moment one team will be at the end of their season, while the other is just kicking off. Pointless. [/b]

2007 Super14 Final - May 19th
2007 Heineken Cup Final - May 20th

I.e. the same weekend, seems absolutely perfect to me as it is!
Have the extra game in Hong Kong or Dubai the following week, or the one after.

Easy Peasy

Well, its going to be Saracens vs the Crusaders.

Obvious that it would be the men in black who would triumph.

*wakes up*

they were going to have a Wasps vs Bulls match but it didn't take off...

The last Super 14 final was 19th May.
The last Heineken Cup Final was 20th May.

Why not play the match the week following? They could alternate between playing in the North & South every year...

Why not?

If we got rid of the Anglo-Welsh cup then we'd not have too much fixture congestion. There's 22 league games a season, plus a maximum of 9 Heineken Games. Given that International games except summer tours take place on the same weekend as club games, with the North vs South playoff there'd be a maximum of 32 weeks of rugby per season, plus the summer tours. Given that players get rested left right and centre, and they woukdn't all have 32 games anyway, this seems the best way...

I would love to see this fixture, but I think it should be at a netural venue not like the rugby league's World Club Challenge. If the IRB market it right, this game could be a blockbuster watched by millions. Lets wait and see.

Personally, if it's going to be done, I'd like it to be a 2 or 3 game series played on a neutral site.

HEC beats S14, 100% guaranteed fact. It's all about the money - sad reflection, and true.

Latest posts