• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Super Rugby Pacific (2023)

Enjoyed as a neutral Blues v Crusaders.
Blues got to be kicking themselves for 2 drops over the line.
But credit to defense on both .

Highlanders finally on the board, in four rounds we have had to blood 4 guys from our development team, thats how bad our injury situation is

Highlanders finally on the board, in four rounds we have had to blood 4 guys from our development team, thats how bad our injury situation is

If they'd lost at home to the Force it would have been their worst defeat since the clearances. :p

Highlanders are in danger of missing the playoffs as Drua, Moana and Rebels are all showing some signs of life and may be better than last year.

If they'd lost at home to the Force it would have been their worst defeat since the clearances. :p

Highlanders are in danger of missing the playoffs as Drua, Moana and Rebels are all showing some signs of life and may be better than last year.
yeah, we weren't exactly predicted to win much this year....but having 4 guys on debut (three of which not even in the original squad) in only round 4 shows how bad our injury issues are

look how young these guys are!

1679287307546-94e997b5-5573-428c-a475-6d94ea2ac37b-image.png

Last edited:

Shows how **** the Force are. Couldn't beat probably the worst Highlanders team to ever take the field.

Shows how **** the Force are. Couldn't beat probably the worst Highlanders team to ever take the field.
you obviously cant remember some of the dross we've had to field in the past

How much has not having SA teams not playing in SR affected the other teams/competition and overall quality?

I guess we'll see the real knock on effect in the RWC on the international teams and they still play each other in the RC.

How much has not having SA teams not playing in SR affected the other teams/competition and overall quality?

I guess we'll see the real knock on effect in the RWC on the international teams and they still play each other in the RC.
Significant improvement in terms of entertainment quality without the Saffas.

The Saffa sides were even less competitive than the Aussie sides.

Judging the quality is hard to do as it's been three years, players have come and gone, rules have changed etc

I think most people miss super 12, full round robin, nice and simple, variety of teams with different tactics

Super rugby still has it problems but I don't think the SA teams would fix it, the reality was loads (most nz people I know) didn't watch the games in SA, live at least

At very least most games are at watchable times and @Derpus moght have been blunt…but also correct, SA weren't improving and serious contenders in super rugby, they seem to be doing better now

The Lions reached finals in three of the last years of SR and that was when I'd argue 4 AB sides were stronger than any of them now (only the Blues have improved). I think SA being in the Euro timezone makes perfect sense and is better for all concerned in terms of the tournament. But now only the Brumbies and Crusaders appear to have strong packs in SR (for now) and I can see the Wallabies and ABs struggling more should they come up against 8 man rugby. Even the likes of Ireland might be able to suffocate them at the breakdown and set piece (so not just the traditional strong packs of Boks, England and France).

Its really hard to tell if this is a factor though because the Wallabies and ABs are both as bad as they've ever been and that isn't connected in any way to SA leaving SR in my opinion.

The Lions reached finals in three of the last years of SR and that was when I'd argue 4 AB sides were stronger than any of them now (only the Blues have improved). I think SA being in the Euro timezone makes perfect sense and is better for all concerned in terms of the tournament. But now only the Brumbies and Crusaders appear to have strong packs in SR (for now) and I can see the Wallabies and ABs struggling more should they come up against 8 man rugby. Even the likes of Ireland might be able to suffocate them at the breakdown and set piece (so not just the traditional strong packs of Boks, England and France).

Its really hard to tell if this is a factor though because the Wallabies and ABs are both as bad as they've ever been and that isn't connected in any way to SA leaving SR in my opinion.
Highlanders actually demolished the crusaders pack, degroot and ainley (putting his hand up for a RWC bolter spot) took them to school....our problems almost completely start at 10.....

Ive been really impressed with Mark Telea. Seems to be getting better and better. Getting closer to nailing down an allblacks starting spot.

Judging the quality is hard to do as it's been three years, players have come and gone, rules have changed etc

I think most people miss super 12, full round robin, nice and simple, variety of teams with different tactics

Super rugby still has it problems but I don't think the SA teams would fix it, the reality was loads (most nz people I know) didn't watch the games in SA, live at least

At very least most games are at watchable times and @Derpus moght have been blunt…but also correct, SA weren't improving and serious contenders in super rugby, they seem to be doing better now
Having said all that SR is properly ******. SA probably made the smart move leaving. Bigger crowds and my little sisters Sunday morning soccer match than SR and a much worse product than NRL and AFL.

Having said all that SR is properly ******. SA probably made the smart move leaving. Bigger crowds and my little sisters Sunday morning soccer match than SR and a much worse product than NRL and AFL.
The problem with Super Rugby is that there's only 5 teams (Crusaders, Chiefs, Blues, Brumbies, Hurricanes) that can realistically win the competition and even that's maybe stretching it. There's not enough games with jeopardy in the outcome because there's such a gulf between top and bottom. Lopsided games do nothing for crowd figures. 10/12 years ago I used to watch 3/4 matches every weekend, this season i watch one game live per round if that. Most of the games don't interest me now.

that was a mad game, stealing the break down someone else posted, Highlanders changes IN THE WARM UP....thats 4 injuries on top of the long list we had before

Will Tucker starting instead of Dickson.
Nikora Broughton starting instead of Renton.
Jake Te Hiwi starting at 12 instead of TU-J.
Fetuli Paea starting at 13 instead of Timu.
Josh Bekhuis coming onto the bench at 19.
Connor Garden-Bachop coming onto the bench at 23.

Latest posts