• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Supporting More Than One Team? Yes or No?

Is It Okay To Support More Than One Team?

• Total voters
M

mohamed_ali12

Now everyone who is reading this beware, I am about to delve into a very sensitive issue...

...and here I go.

Ever since I have started watching/playing rugby i have supported Bath (mainly because my Grandparents had season tickets and I went to matches every holiday). As I live in Twickenham, most of my friends support Harlequins and this has lead to me being a frequent visitor to The Stoop over the last few seasons. For this season, I was suprised with a season ticket for Quins over the summer, but in the back of my mind i have a tingling fear that I'm breaking the biggest of all sporting commandments - Thou shalt not support more than one team.

Every time I hear myself chanting 'Ugo, Ugo, Ugo' when Monye is side-stepping his way to the try-line i feel my affinity to 'The Mighty Quins' drift ever closer to supporterdom, and a burning desire to shout out at the top of my voice 'SCREW MATT BANAHAN. SCREW BATH' engulfs me. But then the next day I'll watch Bath on TV and feel like a traitor to the cause, a traitor to Matt Banahan, and ashamed of my infidelity.

Is this infidelity allowed? What do I do when surrounded by Harlequins fans in 4 weeks time when Bath are visitors to the stoop, and a have an urge to shout both 'Bath, Bath, Bath Bath Bath Bath, Bath' as well as 'Ugo, Ugo, Ugo'? How could i betray my rugby brethren by doing such a thing?

I need solutions people! Is it okay to support more than one team? Especially if they're in the same league?

I support two teams, but it is less of an issue because they play in two different comps (Scarlets and Sale (not including European matches)).

Actually, it is a non-issue. Your situation calls for you to support 'Quins, so if you lose in interest in supporting Bath, so be it.

I think you have a man-crush on Ugo Monye rather than support Quins.

I have a feeling that in four weeks time you'll find out that you support one more than the other. You'll either be standing in the Quins crowd and cheer with all your heart for quins and be happy with the result and then go back to supporting both when they're not playing eachother...

Or you'll cheer but not really mean it and deep down you'll be thinking; 'to hell with all you <strike>blood</strike> food-dye <strike>sucking</strike> spitting losers....c'mon Bath' and you'll know the heart really lies with Bath.

The trap you've fallen into is supporting two teams in the same league. What you needed to do was support two teams who will never meet in a competition so Bath and the Hurricaines for example.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sir. Speedy @ Sep 12 2009, 10:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I support two teams, but it is less of an issue because they play in two different comps (Scarlets and Sale (not including European matches)).[/b]
:huh: Same here (same teams)

I do hold a fond spot for Worcester, being the "local" team, and support them in as much as i want them to win their matches, in a Sale v Worcester match i'd be supporting sale

I don't see any problem supporting two teams tbh, i mean it's a bit weird to not be able to like more than one team, in effect

Hahaha dudes got a man crush on Ugo Monye. I don't think there's anything wrong with supporting two teams. I was born in Wellington so I support anything Wellington like Rugby, Football, Netball etc. I've lived most of my life away from the city so I've always supported local and Wellington teams.

I support the Wellington Lions in Anz Cup but because I've got mates and cousins playing in the Heartland Comp more less 2nd Division to Anz Cup I support Horowhenua too (2nd Div team).

Or you could be like my kuzzy who says he supports the Aucklington Highsaders lol. Mix of Auckland, Wellington, Highlanders and Crusaders so he's mutli coloured.

I support multiple teams, The Queensland Reds have always been my fave Super Rugby team, and other than them I support the Brumbies.
In Internationals I support alot of different teams, for different reasons, I support Australia, South Africa, Fiji, Tonga and Japan.

I've been brought up on Bristol Rugby and can't support any other team. I do always want to see the Blues do well as it is the place of my Birth.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sir. Speedy @ Sep 13 2009, 01:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I support two teams, but it is less of an issue because they play in two different comps (Scarlets and Sale (not including European matches)).

Actually, it is a non-issue. Your situation calls for you to support 'Quins, so if you lose in interest in supporting Bath, so be it.[/b]

Why to support just one team and that's all?

Instead I think true rugby fan and rugby lover will support every team showing beautiful and dynamic rugby (well this case the taste is absolutely subjective and dependent on a fan's mind)

So I think it is not a sin to support more than 2,3,4 teams which we think give us amazing rugby shows

I too have a big soft spot for Harequins, for similar reasons to you. It doesn't help that I do support the League team. But I'll always want Saracens and Richmond to win, I'll always shout for them and get passionate. With Quins, it's never the same. It's like wanting Fiji to win all the time but not really caring when they lose.

You've nailed your flag to the mast, and it says Bath. You're stuck with them mate.

I support the Blues and Ospreys, as well as the Scarlets and Dragon to some extent, (And to an even lesser extent, I have a soft spot for Ulster.) but not living in Wales I've never had a problem. I can't see why you shouldn't be allowed to support two clubs. They won't play each other much, and even if they do, surely that's better because you won't mind too much who wins and loses?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Sep 13 2009, 12:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I too have a big soft spot for Harequins, for similar reasons to you. It doesn't help that I do support the League team. But I'll always want Saracens and Richmond to win, I'll always shout for them and get passionate. With Quins, it's never the same. It's like wanting Fiji to win all the time but not really caring when they lose.

You've nailed your flag to the mast, and it says Bath. You're stuck with them mate.[/b]

Contact your local NHS help centre for potentail treatments.

Wait, so of the 14 people who have voted I seem to be the only one who thinks 1 club is enough?

The way I see it, is that should you support a different team (especially one in the same division), then the loyalty you have shown to club A is lessened by club B. I have supported Bristol for close to 15 years (thats what I can remember, apparentley I was taken to games before I was aware of where the hell I was) and feel that should I support say Quins or whoever then my love for Bristol would shrink.

Although there is a difference between "supporting" and "following" teams. As a Welshman living over the bridge I keep up with the regions and being Cardiff by birth I tend to follow them more, like in the EDF Final I wanted them to win but I didnt exactly jump around when they did.

If I can swing this over to Football, I have supported Bristol City for nearly 10 years and can't imagine supporting other teams. But because I live in Southampton I do often find myself going to St Marys to watch a game, being technically a neutral but as a slighty more Saints inclined neutral but not a full blown Southampton FC fan (although when Bristol Rovers cme to visit that will change :lol: :lol: )

Obviously people have their own views and I'm not trying to tell people what to do. I'm just surprised I'm in the minority here.

That is all. C'mon Bris :D :D

I couldn't ever support more than one side in union. I am Ospreys through and through.

Support or follow that is the question? I support Sale (regular visitor) and Edinburgh (season ticket holder) but I follow hunners of other teams. Welsh mum, Scottish dad, brought up in England = don't think there are many leagues I don't have a team I follow.

I don't see how you can support teams in the same league, that's just wrong. In the past if push came to shove I'd side with Sale but now Edinburgh seem to be the only team to play rugby so that is being severely tested. Thankfully not met in HCup. Moving allegiances to Edinburgh isn't exactly glory hunting now is it?

I'm a true Blue Aucklander but have a soft spot for Otago & Highlanders when we're not playing them.

In the NH, Saracens through & through.......but I cheer for Gloucester now & again.

When, where and why I support two teams in various sports

Super 14;
1. Crusaders,
2. anyone playing the Reds

Test rugby;
1. All Blacks
2. anyone playing Australia

In Football;
1. England,
2 any team playing Germany (I have no idea why, I just do)

In Cricket;
1. Australia (because the Blackcaps are CRAP),
2. anyone playing Pakistan or Sri-Lanka (because they're chuckers). When they play each other, I don't give a fat rat's arse

I don't think its wrong to support two teams in your situation. Leksos right you are supporting rugby and should attend all the matches you can whatever the team and get more fans into Harlequins RU rather than the other code.

Latest posts