• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Terrible towns

S

St Helens RLFC

Seeing as I'm not allowed to swear (someone has on the thread about this costing me TEN PENCE A MINUTE and it has now kicked me off my OWN thread!) my train journey into Birmingham made me realise something.

Wolverhampton looks like it's a hideous place. Any other towns that spring to mind right away for you when you think of awful places?

Middlesboro....a pleasant drive through north Yorkshire and then all of a sudden there is this brown haze on the horizon. It's like driving into a post apocalyptic chemical works. It is a terrible, terrible place.

Runcorn too............good lord. The only places I've ever been to that make Delhi look like a des-res.

Basingstoke.

You get out of the train station and are faced with a giant, enclosed shopping centre - a mega-mall. You think: "Town centre can't be that way". So you try to walk around the mall. Not possible: there's a motorway blocking your escape, and you're forced back. You walk through the gates of the mall and ... it truly is mega. Mines of Moria mega. You walk for ages, unaware that you're humming along to the piped tune of The Girl From Iponima (or is it My Lovely Horse?). The people are all fat and bleached-blond, in sportswear that looks like crisp packets. Half an hour later you reach the end of the mall and find ... the town centre. Huh? Not really unpleasant - a market square full of traders selling unsoiled nylon slacks from their vans - but it's so small.

Basingstoke's town centre is a boil on the stenchy bum of an incredibly long and cavernous shopping centre. And the next train doesn't leave for two hours. Howl!

From what I saw on the train going past it, Newport is a place I hope I never have to visit. Knackered terraced housing as far as the eye can see. And that seemed to be it.

I really don't like Sheffield personally. Some may disagree, and the Meadowhall shopping centre may good, but it just seems so grey and dour. It seems to be stuck in the 1970s.

LMAO

NEWPORT LOL

in all seriousness though, they are ploughing alot of money into redeveloping newport, but it is a dump

nightlifes not too bad though i dnt think, although cardiff shits over it.

LMAO

NEWPORT LOL

in all seriousness though, they are ploughing alot of money into redeveloping newport, but it is a dump

nightlifes not too bad though i dnt think, although cardiff shits over it. [/b]

Port Talbot is the one part there I never plan on returning to, absoloute shithole.

port talbot - thts not in newport :S or do you mean wales, port talbot in all fairness is an industrial stronghold so its not really ever going to wing most cellubrious town isit? but yeah i know what you mean its like being in mars in port talbot

but still they produced james hook so they aint all bad!! :D

Port Talbot is like being in 'Blade Runner' but not cool.
One of me ex's came from there. Note how i said "ex"

It has to be said Bootle and Garston are both pretty grim. We took a Dutch friend of ours through Walton once...he couldn't quite believe how grotty it all was.

Suppose all cities have their slums.

Gotta say there are an awful lot of shithole towns in Britain. If it's not endless skanky terraces and bland business parks, then it's supermarket dominated town centres.

I travel around the south a fair bit, and for every Salisbury there are a dozen towns where you want to scream get-me-out-of-here-now!

Town planning is just rubbish. But you only realise it when you go to the continent - coming back is a quick return to grotty reality. And whenever the next recession hits, these one-purpose credit-card-eating community-less beauties are going to be depressing and empty.

But I like London!

However, not one person yet has mentioned the single worst "town" in England, it pretty much sums up what shtove just said...

Milton Keynes. shithole.

To be honest:

1.Birmingham
2.Harlow New Town (how this place didn't get in the "crap towns" book I'll never know)
3.Dundee
4.Manchester

To be honest:

1.Birmingham
2.Harlow New Town (how this place didn't get in the "crap towns" book I'll never know)
3.Dundee
4.Manchester
[/b]

Dundee used to be bad but is fairly decent nowadays I'd say....a lot of European money has hit it I think.

<div class='quotemain'>
To be honest:

1.Birmingham
3.Dundee
4.Manchester
[/b]

Dundee used to be bad but is fairly decent nowadays I'd say....a lot of European money has hit it I think.
[/b][/quote]

No. Its still ****. You should see it when you get the train up, all they've done is build a shopping center near the docks and spruce up their tiny airport and thats it.

I feel most sorry for all the Aberdonians and the people who live in the Grampians who use the train, they almost barracade the doors when they pull into Dundee to stop any Dundonian neds from getting on.

Dundee, crap town, official.

Latest posts