RWC 11 or Sidhe Rugby Challenge ?

• RWC 2011 HB

Votes: 80 10.3%
  • Sidhe Rugby Challenge

Votes: 418 53.8%
  • Both

Votes: 279 35.9%

• Total voters
In game the two games look very similar (from what I've seen)
It's when it zooms in that RCs superior graphics come to the fore
The actual game camera, beacuse they're zoomed out, don't show them off

Before I say what I'm about to say, I want to make sure nobody starts having a fat off go at me because this is just my opinion and i don't mind if anybody wants to contradict me. By watching gameplay videos on here and comparing them with Sidhe Rugby Challenge I have to say Rugby World Cup 2011 will be fun to play as it will probably be more arcade-like, much like Rugby 08. However Rugby Challenge doesn't have the actual licences to many European International teams it does have the licence to All Blacks and Wallabies, which obviously isn't the main impression. On terms of the actual kit for England, obviously the Rugby World Cup kit hadn't been released at the time of the demo or releasing screenshots, but I think that it is rather disappointing that HB Studios decided to use a kit from 4 years ago, you could have (in all fairness) used the 2010-11 kit, the white and grey and the anthracite kits. Also on terms of difficulty, Rugby World Cup looks so much easier due to being easily able to step the fullback which is possibly the most unrealistic aspect of this game. On the other hand, the addition of a back lifter in the lineout is an improvement on 08, as well as being able to compete better in the rucks by tapping 'A' or 'X' repeatedly which implies that in this game, players are actually supported when the break through the line. The kicking looks similar to Rugby 08, which is a positive because it speeds the game up a bit and means that we will be able to attempt the kicks better because we'll be used to it. So as a first comparison, only based on gameplay videos and HB Studios and Sidhe gradual updates online, I'd say that Rugby Challenge is better generally but Rugby World Cup 2011 will be more fun to mess around on. On a whole I'd say 7/10 for fun, but only 5/10 for realisticality due to ease of beating defenders and deciding to use older kits rather than the most recent one available. I look forward to playing that game when I buy it a 9.00am tomorrow morning.

Okay I've brought Rugby challenge. First Impressions the gameplay pretty bad I ended up going back the the RWC demo. At this point RWC is better IMO.

Rubbish...................... listen what your actually saying is if you went out and grabbed someone ( impartial ) off the street they would think RWC had superior graphics close up everyone is entitled to their own opinion but that is just a blatant lie

in the gameplay video for RC there is an close-up of harlequins players just off the top of my head compare that to the RWC demo

gameplay is subjective the graphics wasn't even a close call RC hand down

[video=youtube;KYUT2_UWCno]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYUT2_UWCno[video]

and then [video=youtube;HbBWgHVD-rY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbBWgHVD-rY[video]

....... im speechless :huh:
Learn to read mate, I said RCs were far superior, not RWC

Before I say what I'm about to say, I want to make sure nobody starts having a fat off go at me because this is just my opinion and i don't mind if anybody wants to contradict me. By watching gameplay videos on here and comparing them with Sidhe Rugby Challenge I have to say Rugby World Cup 2011 will be fun to play as it will probably be more arcade-like, much like Rugby 08. However Rugby Challenge doesn't have the actual licences to many European International teams it does have the licence to All Blacks and Wallabies, which obviously isn't the main impression. On terms of the actual kit for England, obviously the Rugby World Cup kit hadn't been released at the time of the demo or releasing screenshots, but I think that it is rather disappointing that HB Studios decided to use a kit from 4 years ago, you could have (in all fairness) used the 2010-11 kit, the white and grey and the anthracite kits. Also on terms of difficulty, Rugby World Cup looks so much easier due to being easily able to step the fullback which is possibly the most unrealistic aspect of this game. On the other hand, the addition of a back lifter in the lineout is an improvement on 08, as well as being able to compete better in the rucks by tapping 'A' or 'X' repeatedly which implies that in this game, players are actually supported when the break through the line. The kicking looks similar to Rugby 08, which is a positive because it speeds the game up a bit and means that we will be able to attempt the kicks better because we'll be used to it. So as a first comparison, only based on gameplay videos and HB Studios and Sidhe gradual updates online, I'd say that Rugby Challenge is better generally but Rugby World Cup 2011 will be more fun to mess around on. On a whole I'd say 7/10 for fun, but only 5/10 for realisticality due to ease of beating defenders and deciding to use older kits rather than the most recent one available. I look forward to playing that game when I buy it a 9.00am tomorrow morning.

With regards to the kits, you not heard about the code that updates the kits? Agree that the game is more fun than realistic, but I;m happy with that. Just had a fair bit of banter and beers playing it with a few mates :D Atm it's looking like RC might be better gameplay wise, but I'm gonna reserve my judgement until I play it! Just hope I don't have to wait too long for it to come out in the UK.

Well at this early stage i would like to offer this comparison:

The demo RWC put out seemed to indicate that it was an arcade type game. The gameplay itself was undeniably fun, but its very stripped down and in design decisions where it came down to realism vs fun, the latter won out. As with previous HB ***les, this really is a "party" game, something thats best enjoyed with lots mates around, a ton of banter and not a whole lot of sobriety.

This is why i was leaning more towards Rugby Challenge. No slight on RWC, but my personal preference is to simulation sports games. The idea of recreating the real life in video game form is what i crave! With Sidhes impressive player creator, in depth atttributes, attention to detail and huge range of licences it looked like they were going to become the first real rugby simulator game. What they have since revealed however is that online attributes will be normalised for all sides, which is as far away from a sports simulator as you can get.

I believe that Sidhe has thrown away a huge advantage here. HB has had years to perfect its style; some people have been vocally against RWC, saying that it is just like rugby 08 etc, but they are sticking to their formula because in all honesty it works. This is why Sidhe have made a massive mistake, if they were to compete against RWC as a simulation game, then they would be effectively bringing a new product into the market. It would be sports simulator vs arcade sports game, and i think Sidhe would have won that battle (If you look at the best selling sports games on the market, they all tend to be simulators, this coupled with the fact that we haven't had a rugby sim before would give them the advantage).

What Sidhe have done now is that they are effectively going arcade game vs arcade game against HB. When you look past the graphics of RC, HB just flat out do arcade games better, Sidhe can't compete here. Where HB have perfected the timing and flow of their passing, offloads and dummies, Sidhe are bringing a "sticky" passing system that just feels a touch "off" if you know what i mean. This is something that could have been overlooked before, but now its shaping as a major issue.

I bought RWC a few days ago and have had a chance to play it thoroughly. Here's what I think: Graphics are pretty much like Rugby 08, but a bit upgraded. Gameplay is also pretty much the same as Rugby 08, except with improved rucks. This can be good, as it familiar and easy to play. The squads are a bit old (I noticed Craig Gower still playing at 5/8, even though he is injured and has mostly played his last game in Italian colours - mercenary). But I guess that is why you can edit players (but not appearances). As a Wobblies fan, it is quite amusing that James O'Bieber is black & dreadlocked, whereas Kurtley 'The real deal' Beale is the opposite. You get over this pretty quickly and it doesn't bother me very much. Took about 20-30 mins to edit the names of the Wallabies. All in all this game will give you your rugby fix until RC comes out. If you don't have enough cash for both, wait for RC and hire this one from the dvd shop and see for yourself. The game is pretty much Rugby 08, nothing cutting edge, but playable enough. I think RC will be the better game and will be worth the wait (especially with all the added comps). Just my 2 cents

Iv played both Rugby Challenge and Rugby World Cup 2011. both great games, i enjoy playing both
"personally" if i had to pick one of the two, id pick Rugby Challenge. its definitely not what i expected it to be and far from perfect. But overall I'd rate Rugby Challenge over Rugby World Cup 2011 reasons being.

Advantages of RC over RWC:
1. Rugby Challenge graphically is far superior to RWC 11. with RC having accurately modeled licensed players compared to RWC 11's big head, long neck, small shoulders big legs weird looking players
2. Rugby Challenge line outs are more complex than RWC 11's
3. I prefer Rugby Challenge's ruck system over RWC's, as it is more strategic with quick bind/heavy bind buttons, whereas RWC 11's is all about whoevers got the fastest fingers to secure the ball.
4. Rugby Challenges special moves such as side-step, fend, and dummy pass are more realistic and are not timely based such as those in RWC's where i had forwards side stepping backs just like in previous EA ***les. (eg. Victor Mattfield vs Ben Foden)
5. More teams, more players, more competitions and more features
6. Creating system in RC has an advantage over RWC 11's editing system
7. I personally prefer the passing system in RC over RWC 11's same old set plays. I found that players run good lines and with the passing controls you could find your man and send him through a hole (master passing controls)

Although RC has its advantages it also has some disadvantages:
1. Offload system is unrealistic
2. Passing can often be a bit dodgy if you don't time passes well
3. Scrums take too much effort so i prefer RWC11's Scrummaging over RC's
4. Goal kicking can be a bit tricky, so i prefer RWC 11's goal kicking over RC's

Overall in "my opinion" having played both games Id rate Rugby Challenge over Rugby World Cup 2011

sidhe and hb studios should just combine to make a rugby game and incoporate the positives of both sidhes - running rugby, camera angles, 98 squads and line outs and rwc 2011 - rucks and quick line outs thus the game will be fully licensed and have the ultimate gameplay

sidhe and hb studios should just combine to make a rugby game and incoporate the positives of both sidhes - running rugby, camera angles, 98 squads and line outs and rwc 2011 - rucks and quick line outs thus the game will be fully licensed and have the ultimate gameplay

agreed!!

"Why cant we be friends, why cant we be friends"

then we can also borrow fifa's new player impact engine and have the greatest game evererererer

So i've literally spent the last 14hours playing both. From 0730hrs when they both were delivered by Courier (thanks Mightyape) and till about 0010hrs. There was a whole of life in between those times.

Completed the RWC 2011 on Hard 10mins. (Played as NZ and challenged Ireland in the final - Go figure) It is Tough. But...challenge accepted. Played online, had 2 quitters, then 1 of those quitters came back and let me beat him fairly. Had another couple of games, 1 close, but his (or mine) connected died.

Completed the Tutorial for RC and completed the ITM cup as Auckland and went through 13 Rounds and then a Semi and then a Final. Couldn't be fluffed going through the create a modes.

Everything [email protected] has said is correct to extent - However (and you'll come to your own conclusions) as simply put -

Rugby Challenge - An Arcade Rugby Game

Rugby World Cup 2011 - A Rugby Simulator

IF you enjoyed all the technical or strategic elements that you could come up with in Rugby 08 then it's unlikely - Not Impossible - but unlikely to find in RC.

The gameplay is enjoyable but it's a mess, at times it's a glorious mess but then at times it's damn near awkward. I can't have John Afoa running in the centres for me every game and Peter Saili shouldn't be my first received on left side.

It's not specifically Rugby League rehashed (I own Rugby League 1 aka Stacey Jones Rugby League) - but their are elements in there that make you go hmmm...

To state either game is a rugby simulation is laughable. Both are rugby games with arcade elements. What differs is how arcdey each are.

I'm having semi debates with myself right now xD i'll end up getting both games I know that for sure, but I'm not sure if I should just get RWC now and RC later on or hold out for RC and a possible RWC price drop (after comp I know but still) :/

Iv played both Rugby Challenge and Rugby World Cup 2011. both great games, i enjoy playing both
"personally" if i had to pick one of the two, id pick Rugby Challenge. its definitely not what i expected it to be and far from perfect. But overall I'd rate Rugby Challenge over Rugby World Cup 2011 reasons being.

Advantages of RC over RWC:
1. Rugby Challenge graphically is far superior to RWC 11. with RC having accurately modeled licensed players compared to RWC 11's big head, long neck, small shoulders big legs weird looking players
2. Rugby Challenge line outs are more complex than RWC 11's
3. I prefer Rugby Challenge's ruck system over RWC's, as it is more strategic with quick bind/heavy bind buttons, whereas RWC 11's is all about whoevers got the fastest fingers to secure the ball.
4. Rugby Challenges special moves such as side-step, fend, and dummy pass are more realistic and are not timely based such as those in RWC's where i had forwards side stepping backs just like in previous EA ***les. (eg. Victor Mattfield vs Ben Foden)
5. More teams, more players, more competitions and more features
6. Creating system in RC has an advantage over RWC 11's editing system
7. I personally prefer the passing system in RC over RWC 11's same old set plays. I found that players run good lines and with the passing controls you could find your man and send him through a hole (master passing controls)

Although RC has its advantages it also has some disadvantages:
1. Offload system is unrealistic It's a game!!! If you want realism play real rugby you will soon be bored.
2. Passing can often be a bit dodgy if you don't time passes well So it requires more skill.
3. Scrums take too much effort so i prefer RWC11's Scrummaging over RC's Pushing two directions at the same time mini game is too much effort?
4. Goal kicking can be a bit tricky, so i prefer RWC 11's goal kicking over RC's Back to that skill thing again.

Overall in "my opinion" having played both games Id rate Rugby Challenge over Rugby World Cup 2011

If they are it's downsides where can I get this game NOW!!!!!!!!

Latest posts