• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Leinster thread

• Thread starter snoopy snoopy dog dog
  • Start date
Article in the Indo shows that. Far more professional in Michael's my college's
s set up.
I have done some work with Roscrea and have friends in Dublin in S&C field. They done telling me some stories and I'd argue they are more pro than AIL

The Leinster branch deserve a lot of credit for identifying and helping develop talented young players. As said in my previous post, I don't think it's right to name individual schools and under 18 club players in a public forum but I'd say there are around 10 players in senior cycle (4th - 6th year) in Leinster to be very excited about.

Looking at the success Leinster had from 2008-2014, Leinster may have rested on their laurels a bit (Munster too from their period of success in 2006-2011). As the top talents were being replaced, inferior players were being brought in in the expectation that they were good enough. Little by little, the team weakened. My hope is that with the Leinster academy churning out players, this won't be allowed happen again. The biggest threat is clubs with more money offering Leinster players contracts too good to turn down.

EDIT - a huge talent was lost to Aussie Rules last year; Conor Nash. 6'5" tall fullback who came through the club route with skills and pace to burn. Hopefully Leinster keep in touch in case he changes his mind. Only 19.

The Leinster branch deserve a lot of credit for identifying and helping develop talented young players. As said in my previous post, I don't think it's right to name individual schools and under 18 club players in a public forum but I'd say there are around 10 players in senior cycle (4th - 6th year) in Leinster to be very excited about.

Looking at the success Leinster had from 2008-2014, Leinster may have rested on their laurels a bit (Munster too from their period of success in 2006-2011). As the top talents were being replaced, inferior players were being brought in in the expectation that they were good enough. Little by little, the team weakened. My hope is that with the Leinster academy churning out players, this won't be allowed happen again. The biggest threat is clubs with more money offering Leinster players contracts too good to turn down.

EDIT - a huge talent was lost to Aussie Rules last year; Conor Nash. 6'5" tall fullback who came through the club route with skills and pace to burn. Hopefully Leinster keep in touch in case he changes his mind. Only 19.
But the money is massive in schools there too Snoop. And this isn't a Leinster money jibe but it is the private schools which are more up in Dublin area that have driven it up there that we will never have down here. So the resources are there. But credit where it's due the nurturing of talent is there too for sure. And as I said earlier it is a market in itself now. Like Schools game is getting tv deals to these days which is phenomenal and shows the standards this has gone to

Nash is back in Ireland playing GAA at club level last I heard.

I'm really unsure about Salona's situation. Kinsella's article is very vague about who actually initiated contact and him playing u20s with Old Belvo and being in the sub academy doesn't really suggest Leinster are all in.

I'm glad Kinsella isn't doing the American thing where when a rugby player converts to American football he's called a star no matter but I don't really see the point in making such a big deal of it. All-State in Hawaii would be one of the less impressive ones and he clearly wasn't good enough to get any D1 scholarships at least. Seems it's just to further the narrative.

Yeah, I think he played for some USA under 20 rep team too by the looks of things. No harm in bringing him in I suppose, would be cool to see him make it too.

I'm really unsure about Salona's situation. Kinsella's article is very vague about who actually initiated contact and him playing u20s with Old Belvo and being in the sub academy doesn't really suggest Leinster are all in.

I'm glad Kinsella isn't doing the American thing where when a rugby player converts to American football he's called a star no matter but I don't really see the point in making such a big deal of it. All-State in Hawaii would be one of the less impressive ones and he clearly wasn't good enough to get any D1 scholarships at least. Seems it's just to further the narrative.
I'd imagine the branches and IRFU have no shortage of former employees/ players involved with USA Rugby willing to put a good word in. Peter Borlase, Munster great coached him at under 20s.

To be fair Ireland, and all branches are in this comment, habe 1 of best scouting spread around world

I think he was back in the AFL off season and played a little for his club Simonstown Gaels. He's well worth monitoring as a lot of skills he'll use with Hawthorn are transferable to rugby.

I really believe had he remained in rugby, he'd be as hyped as Joey Carbery and Jordan Larmour and deservedly so. Was absolutely outstanding as an underage player.

Indo reporting that Heaslip is hoping to be back by the quarter final!
Would take that with pinch of salt. Heaslip has practically said he would rather sit season out and get it right. Add in the Independent just desperate to be a headline seeing as IRFU and provinces have all blanked them and made fools of them last few weeks.
Interesting though it was Des Berry who is breaking story. Wonder will he be main rugby lad now for few weeks after ROC had his press pass at Aviva revoked

McGrath's injury is a potential disaster. Henshaw is a big loss but I'd be very confident in a Nacewa-Ringrose partnership. On the other hand I wouldn't be hopeful at all with McCarthy or JPG as our 9 for Sarries. It also stops us from using Lowe which would be a big loss given how well he's playing. (I know he's not perfect defence wise but neither are most of our wings)

Latest posts