• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Leinster thread

• Thread starter snoopy snoopy dog dog
  • Start date
If we're allowed to do that I'd jump on it, not sure if Fardy is allowed to play there by the IRFU though. Leavy and Conan with Jordi and Deegan on the bench would be devastating.
If it were Munster I'd be hoping we tell IRFU to go F yourselves if they stopped doing what best for team

If we're allowed to do that I'd jump on it, not sure if Fardy is allowed to play there by the IRFU though. Leavy and Conan with Jordi and Deegan on the bench would be devastating.
That's my thinking too. Becomes an option if both Sean O'Brien and Rhys Ruddock are out as it's the best use of resources.

If it were Munster I'd be hoping we tell IRFU to go F yourselves if they stopped doing what best for team

Conan to 6 with Deegan starting is pretty formidable too, better for Irish rugby as well. The approach is fair enough and is working. We'll see.
But in general on a top 23. Is the following ahead if all fit
Kearney
Larmour
Lowe
McFadden
Nacewa (If a wing)
Daly
Nacewa isn't a wing anymore. I currently wouldn't have Byrne in a 23 but at his best he's probably a starter. Larmour is a better 15 and 13, McFadden isn't good enough going forward, Daly v Byrne will always be a form call, two similar players.

Wing positions are completely up in the air. Lowe is a brilliant attacker but suspect defensively. Byrne is a really good attacker and sure tackler but positionally suspect. Larmour might be the most complete winger but he doesn't have much game time in the position. McFadden is an outstanding defender but doesn't offer much in attack any more. Nacewa has an all round game but lacks top end pace. Daly has a nose for the try line and is improving rapidly.

On wingers I get it a horses for courses type of thing but just Byrne was seen as a top too prospect few months ago. Now I get he was injured but just from listening to some (not on here) he didn't seem to be valued as highly.

On backrow Alpha would it not be a bit dangerous putting Deegan in at 8 in a game of this magnitude. Especially if your 9 is out you want a solid 8 to control the base

I'd pay no attention to people who don't rate Adam Byrne highly. He's only 23, has a good try scoring record, is very unselfish in laying on scores for others, physically imposing, has top end speed, decent tackler and good under a high ball. He needs to work on his defensive positioning but it has improved this season (when fit) compared to last. If he continues improving, it'll be he and James Lowe who are Leinster's first choice wing pairing next season.

Max Deegan could be a bolter for the summer tour. I'm not entirely sure Joe Schmidt fully trusts Jack Conan. No 8 is a position Ireland need to work on their depth if that is the case.

On Byrne I've always rated him highly. I think his only big problem areas are as you say defensively and serially but it is fixable. Just he seemed to be down on alot of people's views despite being injured I thought I missed someone.

On Deegan. I'm not saying he is not a possibility for Ireland or anything but going straight in to the Saracens game as starting 8 with McGrath out (presuming he is) could be a huge ask. As control and experience at the base of that scrum will be vital.

I think starting might be a step too far for Deegan but he's definitely good enough to be on the bench if necessary. He was the best of the lot imo in Ryan and Stockdale's u20 team so he's obviously got the talent. With Heaslip definitively gone he's the second 8 at Leinster (excluding flankers who can play 8 like SOB or Murphy) so it's going to happen sooner rather than later. As others have said he could be a bolter for the summer tour and for Japan potentially taking a slightly longer term view of it. I do think Ross Byrne is a more likely bet for the next debutant though.

I'm not overly concerned about Adam Byrne becoming some kind of forgotten man. Providing we get past Saracens (and we should given how tired and depressed all their England players looked last week) the run in to the season is going to test our depth a lot and all the players are going to be involved one way or another. He might be behind a decent list of players at the moment but in reality McFadden, Kearney and Nacewa are all getting on and he has a higher ceiling than Daly. I wouldn't be surprised to see Lowe-Larmour-Byrne as the first choice back three very soon. Rory O'Loughlin would be a much bigger worry for me. He looked at home when he played with the first team against Munster and he got 2 tries but since then he's ended up as a Noel Reid type squad centre which is well below what he's capable of. Lots of players have quiet second seasons after their breakthrough year before kicking on after that so too early to panic in any case.

Excellent news. He has his critics but I've no doubt that having him around will have a positive impact on younger back three players in the squad.

Excellent news. He has his critics but I've no doubt that having him around will have a positive impact on younger back three players in the squad.
Again like Best though I'd predict it more with Ireland in priority. Although different circumstances. Leinster will have guys like Larmour there too. Rob will be in France by end of RWC I'd guess

Latest posts