• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Leinster thread

• Thread starter snoopy snoopy dog dog
  • Start date
Unrelated I know but what do people think of the idea of Ferg moving back into the centre. With Nacewa retiring our second choice 12 terrifyingly is Noel Reid. Unless we convince the IRFU and a foreigner to play second that playing second fiddle to Henshaw and Ringrose we're stuck big time for depth in the centre. The one drawback to McFadden this year has been that he's not got the pace to really trouble defences, this was obvious in both the games against Saracens and Scarlets while the rest of his game was excellent in both of those games. His pace would be less obvious in the centre but the rest of his skillset is transferable. We've got lots of wingers and very few centres it seems to make a lot if sense. Just interested to see what people think on the subject. Great news on the profit side.

I think a foreigner will come in. Currently Fardy is the only player who will never be IQ on the books for next year.

If we don't get one I reckon Frawley is the man to cover there, it's been a long time since McFadden has done much in the centre, and I definitely don't see him fulfilling a 12's role with his current skillset. Considering he's been the starting wing this season it's far from within his best interests with an eye to the World Cup either.

No idea sorry.
It would be like Munster. The accounts will be done with allocations so for example maybe 10% of Sextons wages will be apportioned to P&L and profits will be same. But effectively all resources are then pooled and budgets set for year. And the excess then is invested in capital expenditure grassroots and well areas like that

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/ru...lansdowne-to-ail-final-win-1.3486186?mode=amp

Peter Dooley and Ed Byrne are wasted here. Both are talented enough to be considered future internationals but are stuck behind Healy and McGrath for club and country. The fact that they both have to contend with each other for whatever scraps get thrown their way doesn't help. One or the other should go to Ulster (who are seriously short at LH) where they'd be able to potentially challenge to get into the Ireland squad.

I'll repost this in the Ireland thread because it's more relevant there but on the subject of looseheads is there an argument for leaving Jack McGrath at home this summer. Other countries are resting their Lions and although ours are better rested he still seems to be suffering from the hangover to a certain extent. Kilcoyne is good enough to taken on the 17 shirt and an extra month off would go a long way to helping him get back to his best.

He was way down the depth chart and didn't impress in his limited opportunities. Good on him for staying in pro rugby and taking the opportunity at Nottingham. As you say, I wish him all the best and hope he develops as a player and keeps moving forward from this point in his career.

Rumours that there'll be 5 players coming directly from schools rugby into the academy. All are good prospects.

He was way down the depth chart and didn't impress in his limited opportunities. Good on him for staying in pro rugby and taking the opportunity at Nottingham. As you say, I wish him all the best and hope he develops as a player and keeps moving forward from this point in his career.

Rumours that there'll be 5 players coming directly from schools rugby into the academy. All are good prospects.

There are some very good second rows coming through at the moment from what I'm hearing. As you say, Heffernan was way down the depth chart and there were younger and better players like Porter and Akbaladze (or however you say his name.)

There are some very good second rows coming through at the moment from what I'm hearing.

The breeding programs* that were going on 5 years ago bearing fruits already?!?! Shurely Shome Mishtake!?!

*Leinster tried everything else publicly to find second rows, so pretty sure they must have tried this on the qt.

Leinster Rugby – New Senior Contracts 2018/19:

1. Vakh Abdaladze, 2 Leinster Caps (LC), 1 Leinster Try (T)

2. Michael Bent, 4 Ireland Caps (IC), 106 LC, 1 T

3. Ed Byrne, 23 LC, 2 T

4. Seán Cronin, 61 IC, 151 LC, 26 T

5. Barry Daly, 26 LC, 17 T

6. Tom Daly, 10 LC, 2 T

7. Peter Dooley, 47 LC, 2 T

8. Caelan Doris, 1 LC

9. Tadhg Furlong, 6 British & Irish Lions Caps (BIL), 23 IC, 82 LC, 4 T

10. Dave Kearney, 17 IC, 122 LC, 23 T

11. Rob Kearney, 8 BIL, 83 IC, 196 LC, 39 T

12. Jordan Larmour, 3 IC, 20 LC, 7 T

13. Nick McCarthy, 26 LC, 3 T

14. Fergus McFadden, 34 IC, 169 LC, 23 T

15. Ross Molony, 64 LC, 3 T

16. Josh Murphy, 9 LC, 1 T

17. Andrew Porter, 7 IC, 28 LC, 1 T

18. Garry Ringrose, 13 IC, 48 LC, 12 T

19. Rhys Ruddock, 19 IC, 140 LC, 7 T

20. James Tracy, 6 IC, 64 LC, 4 T

21. Josh van der Flier, 10 IC, 60 LC, 7 T

That's a good deal, we're very light on centres after Henshaw/Ringrose. When you're one injury away from Noel Reid starting a European game there's a problem. Tomone looms like a good option for the 23 shirt IMO.

Are there any other signing in the pipeline or is this it? We don't really need one but we didn't really need Lowe either and we got him. Other provinces are all recruiting lime mad anyway so it seems fair if probably unhelpful for Ireland a year out from the world cup.

Latest posts