• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Leinster thread

• Thread starter snoopy snoopy dog dog
  • Start date
I'd say sit back and watch the Red Hand men go for IRFU now.
Poor, persecuted Ulster with their All Black full back and two Springbok backrowers! The IRFU are so unfair towards them!

Having Nacewa around for another year is great news. He's been in excellent form and his professionalism is rubbing off on a number of up and coming backrowers.

For those who say a different standard applies to Ulster than Leinster with regards the Ruan Pienaar situation, Leinster were blocked from signing a backup flyhalf for this season once Ian Madigan left. Given the development of Joey Carbery and Ross Byrne, David Nucifora's stance was vindicated.

I don't disagree with that Snoop as youbsay Madigan was biggest looser out of all it

I don't disagree with that Snoop as youbsay Madigan was biggest looser out of all it
I think he's doing alright with a reported 500k annual salary on the table from Northampton! Internationally though his career is finished unless he returns to play in Ireland. Rightly so.

If Kirchner leaves do we think we'll get a NIQ player in to replace him? Another utility back would be nice but my preference would be for a good second rower. Sam Whitelock is available i hear.;)

If Kirchner leaves do we think we'll get a NIQ player in to replace him?
Hard to know. There's a need in the centre but Rory O'Loughlin could shift in there and allow Jordan Larmour more of an opportunity on the wing. A second row to partner Devin Toner is probably the greatest need.

Poor, persecuted Ulster with their All Black full back and two Springbok backrowers! The IRFU are so unfair towards them!

Having Nacewa around for another year is great news. He's been in excellent form and his professionalism is rubbing off on a number of up and coming backrowers.

For those who say a different standard applies to Ulster than Leinster with regards the Ruan Pienaar situation, Leinster were blocked from signing a backup flyhalf for this season once Ian Madigan left. Given the development of Joey Carbery and Ross Byrne, David Nucifora's stance was vindicated.

Yes, a back up fly-half is really a better comparable than another key veteran mentor :rolleyes:

Yes, a back up fly-half is really a better comparable than another key veteran mentor :rolleyes:
Leinster weren't allowed replace Nathan Hines. Devin Toner stepped up. Felipe Contepomi moved on, Jonny Sexton stepped up. Rocky Elsom left, Sean O'Brien came in. Ollie Le Roux and CJ van der Linde exit, up comes Cian Healy. Eoin Reddan and Isaac Boss retired, in came Luke McGrath.

Marcell Coetzee, Arno Botha, Charles Piutau and Jono Gobbes aren't a sign that the IRFU are committed to helping Ulster? John Afoa, BJ Botha, Johann Muller, Nick Williams, Pedrie Wannenburg, Ruan Pienaar, Stefan Terblanche amongst others in the recent past?

Ulster don't need Ruan Pienaar to babysit Paddy Jackson any more. The flyhalf is more than capable of taking charge of a backline which he patently couldn't do even two years ago. He's become a very good player. Dwayne Peel has been brought in as backs coach in part, I assume, to help mentor a new 9. The IRFU are absolutely right to look for Ulster to start producing international options at scrum half. Is it harsh on Pienaar? Yes it is but sentimentality has no place in professional sport.

Back to Leinster since this is the Leinster thread. While I'd love to see a top class second row brought in to partner Devin Toner and think it'd benefit the team, I'd be just as happy to see James Ryan, Ross Molony or someone else develop and given a chance. Likewise in the backline, I'd have no problem if Leinster don't replace Zane Kirchner and instead back Jordan Larmour, Jack Kelly or Tommy O'Brien to step up instead.

Scott Fardy to Leinster confirmed by Leinster.

http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/australian-forward-scott-fardy-signs-for-leinster/

Says Fardy has been signed as a second row. Presumably it means that Hayden Triggs is laving. Triggs has been in good for recently. Mike McCarthy is reportedly on the way to a French team too - Narbonne I think. Fardy will likely start alongside Devin Toner in the full strength team but given he's in his 30s, he won't block the pathway long term for either Ross Molony or James Ryan.

What does anyone think of the James Lowe rumour? I'd say it's bulls***. He'd certainly improve the team though and would likely spell Zane Kirchner's departure.

Scott Fardy to Leinster confirmed by Leinster.

http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/australian-forward-scott-fardy-signs-for-leinster/

Says Fardy has been signed as a second row. Presumably it means that Hayden Triggs is laving. Triggs has been in good for recently. Mike McCarthy is reportedly on the way to a French team too - Narbonne I think. Fardy will likely start alongside Devin Toner in the full strength team but given he's in his 30s, he won't block the pathway long term for either Ross Molony or James Ryan.

What does anyone think of the James Lowe rumour? I'd say it's bulls***. He'd certainly improve the team though and would likely spell Zane Kirchner's departure.
Fardy as a second row honestly seems like they struggled to find available locks. Lowe would be a good addition by all accounts and probably good value for money, but would I be right in saying he's NIQ if he's played for the Maori, or are their under 20's their designated second team these days? Hey at the very least you'll have signed a guy who's scored a try against Munster this year! He looked good in spells but got absolutely exposed by Sweetnam for his try in a straight foot race.
EDIT: He scored a nice one this morning too.

Last edited:
Fardy as a second row honestly seems like they struggled to find available locks. Lowe would be a good addition by all accounts and probably good value for money, but would I be right in saying he's NIQ if he's played for the Maori, or are their under 20's their designated second team these days? Hey at the very least you'll have signed a guy who's scored a try against Munster this year! He looked good in spells but got absolutely exposed by Sweetnam for his try in a straight foot race.

Its their U20's AFAIK. I think if a three year contract is put in front of him he'll jump at it.

I like Fardy. Think he'll do a good job for us.

Its their U20's AFAIK. I think if a three year contract is put in front of him he'll jump at it.

I like Fardy. Think he'll do a good job for us.
Looks like you're right, meaning Lowe would probably be here as a project player as he's played only for the Maori and their Schools team. Makes his signing a bit more realistic to me, and seems like an odd rumor to just be pulled out of complete thin air, even for the Indo.

Junior All Blacks are their second team.

Think Fardy suits us, pretty mobile and has some dog to him.

Not expecting Fardy to be a flop, but he's not a sure thing. Just thinking back to Douglas I suppose. I think you're right he might suit Leinster though, because they have a technical second row in Toner, and could probably do with an enforcer/grafting type of lock. I expect he'll have some competition before long at Leinster anyway.

Junior All Blacks are their second team.

Think Fardy suits us, pretty mobile and has some dog to him.

So Fetish will play for Ireland?! Class!

- - - Updated - - -

Not expecting Fardy to be a flop, but he's not a sure thing. Just thinking back to Douglas I suppose. I think you're right he might suit Leinster though, because they have a technical second row in Toner, and could probably do with an enforcer/grafting type of lock. I expect he'll have some competition before long at Leinster anyway.

I think he's there to be overtaken by Ryan and be mean to people.

From next season, Isa Nacewa and Rob Kearney are the main options for Leinster at fullback. With the options at wing being relatively young (Byrne, Lowe, O'Loughlin, Kearney) and the top choices at fullback both in their 30s, what are the odds on Jordan Larmour's flirtation with 15 for Ireland u20s being made more permanent?

He's looked outstanding there and been a real counterattacking threat. In Rob Kearney and Girvan Dempsey he'd have two excellent mentors in mastering positional play and diffusing aerial threats. In Nacewa he has somebody who can further help him with his vision and attacking play. Whatever happens, Leinster and Ireland have a star in the making.

Last edited:
From next season, Isa Nacewa and Rob Kearney are the main options for Leinster at fullback. With the options at wing being relatively young (Byrne, Lowe, O'Loughlin, Kearney) and the top choices at fullback both in their 30s, what are the odds on Jordan Larmour's flirtation with 15 for Ireland u20s being made more permanent?

He's looked outstanding there and been a real counterattacking threat. In Rob Kearney and Girvan Dempsey he'd have two excellent mentors in mastering positional play and diffusing aerial threats. In Nacewa he has somebody who can further help him with his vision and attacking play. Whatever happens, Leinster and Ireland have a star in the making.

What's story woth Billy Dardis? He was the heir up to last season for 15

What's story woth Billy Dardis? He was the heir up to last season for 15
He doesn't seem to have kicked on. Can happen sometimes. Brendan Macken was another extremely highly touted player who didn't reach the heights expected as was Andrew Conway up who up until recently wasn't fulfilling his potential. May still be time for Dardis as he's only just turned 22.

Very hard to predict who the underage players who'll make it as star players will be. For every Dardis, Macken or Conway, there's a Conor Murray, Joey Carbery, Stuart McCloskey, Garry Ringrose or John Ryan who come on the scene late having previously been missed by talent spotters.

Last edited:
He doesn't seem to have kicked on. May still be time for him as he's only just turned 22.

Any idea how tall Larmour is? I think coming in at 5 foot 9 is holding Dardis back big time, the back three is no place for small men anymore. 2, 9, 10, 12 and 13 are the only places you really find anyone under 5'11 without exceptional talent anymore.

Latest posts