• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Lions squad for 2021 prediction

Hogg as captain seems a bit like BOD as captain of Ireland. Got it by virtue of being the best player when there wasn't another standout.

(Obviously BOD was a Lions captain but he was also much better than Hogg).

Still think there's a decent argument to make AWJ tour captain (I'm presuming Gatland will take him) and then pick a test captain closer to the time.

Hogg as captain seems a bit like BOD as captain of Ireland. Got it by virtue of being the best player when there wasn't another standout.

Still think there's a decent argument to make AWJ tour captain (I'm presuming Gatland will take him) and then pick a test captain closer to the time.
Judging from Gatland's history (both of coaching AWJ and selecting Warburton essentially as a Tour Captain pre-tour last time) and AWJ's history (most capped player etc, 9 Lions tests, successful international captain etc.) I would say that this is very likely.

Not an assessment of BOD I'd agree with tbh.

To be honest it doesn't matter who's captain or who's playing we're going to wipe the floor with South Africa. I think they're overrated tbh but, more importantly, massively undercooked. They might win one test but won't be surprised if they don't win any.

Just make Scott Qunnell captain. Tour won. Job done.
As much as I love Faletau (& I do, he's genuinely great) Quinnell defined what a number 8 is for me... let's hope there's yet another Quinnell on the way from the family. Dem genes tho!

As much as I love Faletau (& I do, he's genuinely great) Quinnell defined what a number 8 is for me... let's hope there's yet another Quinnell on the way from the family. Dem genes tho!

I was talking to my brother the other day about Scott and how amazing he was for us. Legend. Hard to compare players from different eras and my heart would always go to Quinnell but my head probably Faletau to be honest.

I know you like your big ball carrying 8s though from your desire to see Carwyn Tuipulotu play. Normally the debate was always Faletau v Billy Vunipola. Glad I'm not having that debate again.

I was talking to my brother the other day about Scott and how amazing he was for us. Legend. Hard to compare players from different eras and my heart would always go to Quinnell but my head probably Faletau to be honest.

I know you like your big ball carrying 8s though from your desire to see Carwyn Tuipulotu play. Normally the debate was always Faletau v Billy Vunipola. Glad I'm not having that debate again.
I have no doubt that you'd be right there too... particularly with how important work rate and fitness are now. ****ing love Quinnell though!

I have no doubt that you'd be right there too... particularly with how important work rate and fitness are now. ****ing love Quinnell though!

Yeah but mind you, say Quinnell was born 10-15 years later and played in this era with all the sports science and professionalism and stuff then it'd be very interesting to see how he went. Sorry to anyone else form spamming the thread up here.

Yeah but mind you, say Quinnell was born 10-15 years later and played in this era with all the sports science and professionalism and stuff then it'd be very interesting to see how he went. Sorry to anyone else form spamming the thread up here.
1617130019763.jpeg
1617130062855.jpeg

That should satiate the English and Irish boys at least ;)

To be honest it doesn't matter who's captain or who's playing we're going to wipe the floor with South Africa. I think they're overrated tbh but, more importantly, massively undercooked. They might win one test but won't be surprised if they don't win any.
A bit OTT, but given the way that the rugby media love to overreact to results, and the way that their fans love to cheerlead, I'm pretty sure that South Africa are overrated. They comprehensively beat England in the final, but was that game just a perfect storm? The week before, they only just scraped by Wales and they lost to New Zealand in a pool match, so even if they were the best team in the world at the end of 2019, they weren't by much.

If you think Lions 3-0 is the most likely result, I suggest you fill your boots with your local bookie, you should get a decent price. What makes you think the Lions' chances are so strong? The jury's out for me at to whether or not SA's self imposed international exile will be to their benefit or not, but on top of all the Lions' usual disadvantages, the players will be even more strung out than usual having played the back end of the previous domestic season on top of the usual season, will be operating with a reduced squad and will have the added constraints of touring during a pandemic.

Will Duhan Van der Merwe be picked for the Lions?

Or rather, high probablity or low probability?

A bit OTT, but given the way that the rugby media love to overreact to results, and the way that their fans love to cheerlead, I'm pretty sure that South Africa are overrated. They comprehensively beat England in the final, but was that game just a perfect storm? The week before, they only just scraped by Wales and they lost to New Zealand in a pool match, so even if they were the best team in the world at the end of 2019, they weren't by much.

If you think Lions 3-0 is the most likely result, I suggest you fill your boots with your local bookie, you should get a decent price. What makes you think the Lions' chances are so strong? The jury's out for me at to whether or not SA's self imposed international exile will be to their benefit or not, but on top of all the Lions' usual disadvantages, the players will be even more strung out than usual having played the back end of the previous domestic season on top of the usual season, will be operating with a reduced squad and will have the added constraints of touring during a pandemic.

It might have been a bit OTT but the lions should be winning this series. The way I see it, the biggest problem of any Lions team is getting a group of class, random players and gelling them into a cohesive team with basically no prep time. I feel this year this problem is somewhat negated by the fact that South Africa will be in a not to dissimilar position in that they haven't played any rugby (with a few exceptions). On top of that, one of the main strengths any side that is playing against the lions has is a) the fact they're playing a disjointed side and b) they're always at home and can make things intimidating.
They won't have that this year as they'll be no crowds so that's another thing counting against them.

I also think that, while worthy WC winners they weren't overly impressive. They beat an injury ravaged Wales by 3 points in a semi final and even that was with the help of the ref. If Wales played them tomorrow I wouldn't be writing it off as a loss so I definitely won't when it's the Lions. Fair play in the final but England didn't really turn up if we're being honest and have always had problems against sides that match them physically.

It goes without saying that this is all dependent on Tipuric playing every minute of every test. If he doesn't South Africa will clean up.

Latest posts