• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Lions squad for 2021 prediction

Well depends on this smaller squad how many outside backs does he want to bring in who plays one position.

LRZ for me will tour.
I would imagine Van der Merve will go (With May form dropped hard)

But can he afford 2 wingers who play solely wing?

I can't see him taking more than 5 back 3 players
Watson, Hogg and Williams are nailed on.
Leaves 2 spaces.

Let's say centres are
Henshaw, Ringrose, Davies and North.

I wouldn't be surprised if Daly might get taken due to versatility (He shouldn't but a small squad certain plays into his hands).

Not an assessment of BOD I'd agree with tbh.
Slightly forced for the sake oc the comparison I'll admit but not convinced he was ever a hugely great captain. Definitely a leader but with both Leinster and Ireland there were eventually other guys more suited to the captaincy. Also the drawback of in being held by a 13.

Will Duhan Van der Merwe be picked for the Lions?

Or rather, high probablity or low probability?
Definitely possible, lot of options out wide though.

Daly is out for me, if we're taking a 13/wing it should be North.

Last edited:
The way I see it, the biggest problem of any Lions team is getting a group of class, random players and gelling them into a cohesive team with basically no prep time. I feel this year this problem is somewhat negated by the fact that South Africa will be in a not to dissimilar position in that they haven't played any rugby (with a few exceptions).
I don't really factor in the Lions' trouble building a team out of a bunch of players as it's a constant across all tours (or at least since coaching became a thing in rugby). As I say, I can't make my mind up what effect the hiatus will have on South Africa. On the one hand, they could be unfit and undercooked, on the other, they could have been doing everything that they feel necessary to beat a Lions side since November last year at the latest. To be fair, I have no sort of handle on exactly how much rugby the SA squad will have played by the start of the series. After the 6N, I would be confident in saying that the Sarries players' amount isn't enough!
On top of that, one of the main strengths any side that is playing against the lions has is a) the fact they're playing a disjointed side and b) they're always at home and can make things intimidating.
They won't have that this year as they'll be no crowds so that's another thing counting against them.
If it was a normal tour, I'd agree wholeheartedly. Given the number of people who usually follow the Lions on tour though, it could even be to SA's advantage IMO.
It goes without saying that this is all dependent on Tipuric playing every minute of every test. If he doesn't South Africa will clean up.
The back row selection will be really interesting. I have a sneaking suspicion that Gatland will disappoint a lot of south Walians re: Tipuric. I think he sees him as a luxury player. He certainly didn't rate him highly enough to accommodate him when Warburton was around like he did with SOB 4 years ago, so it will be a case of whether he thinks Tipuric is the best man to do what he wants from his seven, which I doubt personally.

The other thing that came to mind in the Lions' favour since my previous post is that unless Rassie pulls a real stroke and reinvents his team, SA are a known quantity and Gatland is able to pick his side and players to beat that side. This is a contrast to the World Cup final where I feel that Jones had based his campaign on needing to beat the All Blacks to win and forgot that he'd also need to win the final and won't be encumbered with the emotional baggage that comes with that. I know you could say this about any Lions tour, but given how clearly defined SA's style and tactics are, I think it's a bigger advantage this time around.

I don't really factor in the Lions' trouble building a team out of a bunch of players as it's a constant across all tours (or at least since coaching became a thing in rugby). As I say, I can't make my mind up what effect the hiatus will have on South Africa. On the one hand, they could be unfit and undercooked, on the other, they could have been doing everything that they feel necessary to beat a Lions side since November last year at the latest. To be fair, I have no sort of handle on exactly how much rugby the SA squad will have played by the start of the series. After the 6N, I would be confident in saying that the Sarries players' amount isn't enough!

If it was a normal tour, I'd agree wholeheartedly. Given the number of people who usually follow the Lions on tour though, it could even be to SA's advantage IMO.

The back row selection will be really interesting. I have a sneaking suspicion that Gatland will disappoint a lot of south Walians re: Tipuric. I think he sees him as a luxury player. He certainly didn't rate him highly enough to accommodate him when Warburton was around like he did with SOB 4 years ago, so it will be a case of whether he thinks Tipuric is the best man to do what he wants from his seven, which I doubt personally.

The other thing that came to mind in the Lions' favour since my previous post is that unless Rassie pulls a real stroke and reinvents his team, SA are a known quantity and Gatland is able to pick his side and players to beat that side. This is a contrast to the World Cup final where I feel that Jones had based his campaign on needing to beat the All Blacks to win and forgot that he'd also need to win the final and won't be encumbered with the emotional baggage that comes with that. I know you could say this about any Lions tour, but given how clearly defined SA's style and tactics are, I think it's a bigger advantage this time around.

I'll be surprised if he picks Tipuric and I won't be the only one I'm sure.

Agree with a lot of what you say. I could well be wrong, obviously, it wouldn't be the first time but I just see these things as more likely to play out in our favour than not. Time will tell.

Daly is out for me, if we're taking a 13/wing it should be North.
If he went, it would be as a bolter. On what I know, I couldn't possibly pick him, but no doubt Gatland will have a better insight than me into whether he was become a bad rugby player or whether he's just a bad 15. He'll also remember that his side would have lost in New Zealand without Daly's boot and know what this means at altitude.

Everyone who hasn't had a good 6 nations still has some time to impress in the European games, Saracens players don't get to reverse the current impression of themselves. I think it would be a bit mad to take both Vunipolas and Daly. All looked out of sorts, Billy a bit better at times, but they don't time to play themselves back into form. With a smaller squad size, there increased risk of taking someone out of form in case they don't improve.

Everyone who hasn't had a good 6 nations still has some time to impress in the European games, Saracens players don't get to reverse the current impression of themselves. I think it would be a bit mad to take both Vunipolas and Daly. All looked out of sorts, Billy a bit better at times, but they don't time to play themselves back into form. With a smaller squad size, there increased risk of taking someone out of form in case they don't improve.
I can see the arguments both ways on this one. A reduced squad means that if they don't find form someone gets injured/suspended there's no alternative and you have to pick the out form guy. On the flip side, both Vunipolas and George have the ability to be test starters. Comes down the the other options for me. Hooker is a weak spot, so I'd probably take George, especially since he'd probably be solid if needed for the tests. Mako also plays in a weak position but there'd be a question over his scrummaging. I think we have better options than Billy to be honest, Stander and Faletau are both better shouts.

Last edited:
Billy should be no way near the lions. CJ or Toby depending on the back row make up Gatland wants.

I don't think Mako should go either, he's proven time and time again that if you play him against a decent scrum he will constantly get mullered. This is SA we are playing so he should be no where near.

George is an odd one, none of the hookers have looked that impressive but LCD looked much better at hooker for England so I'd take him and say he's in with a shout as a starter.

Daly has trained at 12, played 13, wing and 15 but is that enough to get him in when he's forms been shocking? I certainly wouldn't want him in the lions compared to other players.

Thought LCD was better than George but I didn't think George was too bad in the 6 nations to be fair. It's a shame that both Stuart McInally and Fraser Brown was injured for this 6 nations as they would have had a shout at going. Not sure what their current injury situation is.

I think Gats will give the Sarecens boys a bit of leeway all things considered. He might not take them all but I wouldn't be surprised if he does. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if they all start the first test, to be honest. Maybe not Billy as Faletau is playing well but would anyone really be shocked if Mako, George, Itoje and Farrell all start? Daly maybe not but he's nailed on to go for his versatility if nothing else.

I'd have thought George/LCD/Owens (in no particular order) would probably be most people's choice.

I think Gats will give the Sarecens boys a bit of leeway all things considered. He might not take them all but I wouldn't be surprised if he does. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if they all start the first test, to be honest. Maybe not Billy as Faletau is playing well but would anyone really be shocked if Mako, George, Itoje and Farrell all start? Daly maybe not but he's nailed on to go for his versatility if nothing else.
I would! If you say that Mako is 2/1 to start, and the rest are EVS, they would be 23/1 to all start. Not saying those odds are spot on (far from it), but it illustrates how long the odds are of all four things happening as long as you don't think they're wildly wrong.

For me, Mako is definately behind Jones (who brings more in the lose than many give him credit for) and Sutherland for me. Mako is probably third in the pecking order, but I'd leave him at home because I just can't see how you could consider sticking him on the field against South Africa. We now know that what happened in the RWC final wasn't a one off and there's every chance that it costs the whole team the watch when it happens.

Purely IMO, but I think that Itoje will come good and start. I feel like he was playing to a specific set of orders in the 6N (be a menace to play against, live in the opposing 9's head) and would have looked more like his usual self and given away less penalties had he played his usual game.

George deserves his credit in the bank, but was at best the 3rd best hooker in the 6N. 7 weeks or so training with England wasn't enough to bring him back to his best, so I'd question whether a Lions tour will be long enough to have this effect after a few months of Championship rugby. Given the dearth of other options, he definately tours and he's in the 23 if Gatland does a better job of improving his game.

Farrell tours - he's a guy you want in your squad and trite a cliché that it is, he's a test match animal. I'm struggling to see how you shoehorn him into a starting team though. It's starting to be more widely accepted that he's not a test fly half and Gatland pulled him out of the 12 shirt in New Zealand. Even if you consider him as a 10, he's not a better one that Biggar, whose form is pretty decent at the moment and is also a test match animal. The only way that I can see the Farrell starts is at 12 with Henshaw outside him. It's just a question of whether Gatland values him highly enough to move Henshaw out of his best position. Given that stocks of centres aren't great, it's on the cards, but at the same time Hatland is obviously a fan of North and would love to pick a partnership of steel in Henshaw and Harris.

I would! If you say that Mako is 2/1 to start, and the rest are EVS, they would be 23/1 to all start. Not saying those odds are spot on (far from it), but it illustrates how long the odds are of all four things happening as long as you don't think they're wildly wrong.

For me, Mako is definately behind Jones (who brings more in the lose than many give him credit for) and Sutherland for me. Mako is probably third in the pecking order, but I'd leave him at home because I just can't see how you could consider sticking him on the field against South Africa. We now know that what happened in the RWC final wasn't a one off and there's every chance that it costs the whole team the watch when it happens.

Purely IMO, but I think that Itoje will come good and start. I feel like he was playing to a specific set of orders in the 6N (be a menace to play against, live in the opposing 9's head) and would have looked more like his usual self and given away less penalties had he played his usual game.

George deserves his credit in the bank, but was at best the 3rd best hooker in the 6N. 7 weeks or so training with England wasn't enough to bring him back to his best, so I'd question whether a Lions tour will be long enough to have this effect after a few months of Championship rugby. Given the dearth of other options, he definately tours and he's in the 23 if Gatland does a better job of improving his game.

Farrell tours - he's a guy you want in your squad and trite a cliché that it is, he's a test match animal. I'm struggling to see how you shoehorn him into a starting team though. It's starting to be more widely accepted that he's not a test fly half and Gatland pulled him out of the 12 shirt in New Zealand. Even if you consider him as a 10, he's not a better one that Biggar, whose form is pretty decent at the moment and is also a test match animal. The only way that I can see the Farrell starts is at 12 with Henshaw outside him. It's just a question of whether Gatland values him highly enough to move Henshaw out of his best position. Given that stocks of centres aren't great, it's on the cards, but at the same time Hatland is obviously a fan of North and would love to pick a partnership of steel in Henshaw and Harris.

Again, I agree with a lot of what you say but it's all about getting inside Gats head and I just wonder whether with people like the ones mentioned whether their poor form won't be a major issue for him.

There's also players like Simmonds, Marler and Underhill who have played no international rugby recently that a lot of people seem to believe are in his thinking. I actually think if Rhys Webb wasn't injured he'd have a half decent chance of going. He's no different to most coaches, he has his favourites but we'll see how much credit they have with him come squad selection/first test.

Again, I agree with a lot of what you say but it's all about getting inside Gats head and I just wonder whether with people like the ones mentioned whether their poor form won't be a major issue for him.

There's also players like Simmonds, Marler and Underhill who have played no international rugby recently that a lot of people seem to believe are in his thinking. I actually think if Rhys Webb wasn't injured he'd have a half decent chance of going. He's no different to most coaches, he has his favourites but we'll see how much credit they have with him come squad selection/first test.

I can't see Marler making himself available for the Lions tour, especially after withdrawing from the 6 Nations squad. A pity really as he is a great scrummager and handy in the loose. Mako will be toast against the Boks in the scrum. I'd pick Wyn Jones as #1 loosie.

1 Joe Marler
2 Jaime George
3 Wp niel
4 Maro itoje (captain)
5 Jonny Gray
6 Ross Moriarty
7 Tom Curry
8 Billy Vunipola
9 Ben Young's
10 George Ford
11 Denny Solomon
12 Owen Farrell