• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Lions squad for 2021 prediction

I'm going to assume that North was going to go as centre. Who do we think replaced him? Aki or Harris?

Seeing it written out makes you realise there isn't a dedicated 6. Not a surprise but probably between Beirne and Curry, right?

Faletau is mostly playing 8 for Bath...

Would imagine Beirne, Lawes, Conan and Curry will all play games at 6.

So how many players are likely to miss the Japan match?

I'm going to assume that North was going to go as centre. Who do we think replaced him? Aki or Harris?

Yeah he confirmed North was touring. I think if North was in then possible both Aki and Daly wouldn't of made it. Definitely Aki but maybe Daly too. I think North was a shoo in to start as his form was good and he can cover wing. Daly is in for his versatility and Aki for his bulk.

This team is so underwhelming it's unbelievable. As others have said though glad at some of the English selections as it might force Jones' hand in the summer.

At least we can put to bed the Welsh favouritism thing. Well, at least for this tour.
Dunno what you're talking about. Gats clearly has a Scottish bias

Maybe he did have welsh bias tell he finally retired, then prayed and thanked his lucky stars he didnt have to work with the undertalented riff raff again? :p

I can see arguments for Aki (he'll take any lump in the centres), Daly (boot and versatility) and even Simmonds (hard ground/making Jones look a fool) but Jonny Hill baffles me. Has looked lost internationally and hardly a convincing enough player domestically to justify chancing your arm on him. And then to have him over James Ryan...

Dunno what you're talking about. Gats clearly has a Scottish bias

Maybe he did have welsh bias tell he finally retired, then prayed and thanked his lucky stars he didnt have to work with the undertalented riff raff again? :p
Lol,tbf, while my general feeling is a bit
Meh and I'm annoyed at 3 decisions in particular I'm really pleased Henderson is in. So there's that.

Lol,tbf, while my general feeling is a bit
Meh and I'm annoyed at 3 decisions in particular I'm really pleased Henderson is in. So there's that.
Yeah Im glad Hendy is in, heart wouldve broken for him because he's been so good, but unless you actually watched games you wouldnt see the enormous impact he has

Which 3?

I can understand the rationale of a few at least... Like Simmonds, Conan and Faletau all very strong, but mobile carriers, especially in the wide channels, but all round style footballers

Lack of a 6 is worrying, I love dual opensides, but hate 3 SR's so unless its Beirne I'd be a little underwhelmed there. Lawes has never really stood out inn the 6 jersey, but you can see he's an abrasive defender and can do damage without the ball, as well as a decent carrier these days and good Maul D, you'd say I can see it

Jonny Hill i just cant understand at all with the huge array of options, at least Lawes has a PoD. It makes zero sense to me, maybe in a few years, but his decision making at international level has been found wanting a few times too many, and thats a big red flag. Not actual penalties where you could even argue either, like Itoje pushes the line, Hill just stomps over it and picks the ball, then looks dopey as hell when the whistle blows

Faletau is mostly playing 8 for Bath...

So how many players are likely to miss the Japan match?

Chiefs will almost definitely make the final - so all of their lot,
Sale in position to make the semis so I imagine Curry will be bench at best for Japan (though I doubt any players from the play offs will make even the bench, as they'll have had 2 or 3 days of training with the squad before the team's named)
Saints could make top 4 so that'd put Biggar and Lawes in doubt
Bath less likely but still in touching distance, so Watson and Faletau

So are the Irish upset about Ringrose?
Of the selections Irish players lost out in Ringrose bother me the least because he's fallen off the cliff a bit and needs a break. From a selection "we'd actually like to win this tour" POV I have no idea how Slade or himself weren't picked, Slade definitely being the more aggrieved.

Yeah Im glad Hendy is in, heart wouldve broken for him because he's been so good, but unless you actually watched games you wouldnt see the enormous impact he has

Which 3?

I can understand the rationale of a few at least... Like Simmonds, Conan and Faletau all very strong, but mobile carriers, especially in the wide channels, but all round style footballers

Lack of a 6 is worrying, I love dual opensides, but hate 3 SR's so unless its Beirne I'd be a little underwhelmed there. Lawes has never really stood out inn the 6 jersey, but you can see he's an abrasive defender and can do damage without the ball, as well as a decent carrier these days and good Maul D, you'd say I can see it

Jonny Hill i just cant understand at all with the huge array of options, at least Lawes has a PoD. It makes zero sense to me, maybe in a few years, but his decision making at international level has been found wanting a few times too many, and thats a big red flag. Not actual penalties where you could even argue either, like Itoje pushes the line, Hill just stomps over it and picks the ball, then looks dopey as hell when the whistle blows
Ryan, Sinkler and Navidi should all be in. I am annoyed Tomos Williams isn't in too.

Agree with most of what you say.

Of the selections Irish players lost out in Ringrose bother me the least because he's fallen off the cliff a bit and needs a break. From a selection "we'd actually like to win this tour" POV I have no idea how Slade or himself weren't picked, Slade definitely being the more aggrieved.
Yeah, pretty much sums up my thoughts.

Got to agree with the Tomos Williams chat. Don't have much faith in the 9s we've taken and I like Williams.

Latest posts