• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Lions squad for 2021 prediction

As a Scot I'm delighted by 8 players, I would have been happy with 5 or 6

Harris I feel was included probably with heavy Townsend/Randy backing for his defensive qualities

VDM got the nod from his power and top try scorer of the 6n

I would have liked to seen Jonny Gray in there as well but appreciate an embarrassment of riches in that area although the inclusion of Hill baffles me

Price I always though an outside chance so score +1 from me

I understand that Lawes was very much an outsider from injury and is unlikely to tour, or so I read the other day

Last edited:
Allez les verts!
Or whatever Springbok fans say
They say "Bokkeee" or something like that. I heard once in a pub here in Warsaw,there was a group of Springboks fans (dressed in green and yellow T-shirts) watching a rugby match Eng vs RSA and they were shouting it, although I thought before they were shouting "Bok can", but I think I misheard actually

Not sure whether the English players playing well (if they do) would be more a slap in the face to Jones for not getting the most out of them or make him feel vindicated in that they had those performances in them but just not in the 6N...

Harris I feel was included probably with heavy Townsend/Randy backing for his defensive qualities

I would have liked to seen Jonny Gray in there as well but appreciate an embarrassment of riches in that area although the inclusion of Hill baffles me

I understand that Lawes was very much an outsider from injury and is unlikely to tour, or so I read the other day
'VDM' is in no way Scottish. Let's tell it like it is ...

I find it a disgrace that he's in the squad TBH given how he's behaved.

I mean Harris, Price and Watson are all English but at least they're still valid Lions.

Is there anyone not taken who would have been in anyone's XV? The only ones I can think of are Sexton, Vunipola and Ringrose. Even then they weren't the most popular picks to start.

I'd be surprised if people were picking Billy for 8, i would imagine more people had Stander.

Is there anyone not taken who would have been in anyone's XV? The only ones I can think of are Sexton, Vunipola and Ringrose. Even then they weren't the most popular picks to start.
Sinckler definitely

Ford would of been in mine but that was a far off hope.
I'd also play May, LRZ, Watson in the back three.

I'd probably have ended up starting Ryan even if we all knew it would never happen under this regime but I doubt there's many who wouldn't have considered him likely for the 23.

Sinckler also in the 23 probably.

Tomos Williams would definitely be my bench 9 with Murray starting. Probably would've had Navidi in the 23 too but maybe not. I would've been tempted to start a Slade or Ringrose and I would've just gone with Tualagi as a starting center as well. Sinkler on bench too.

Should say with front row I usually see the bench players as 'starters' as well because of the tendency for them to play half the game.

Gatland has really stirred things up with this selection and I'm at a loss for him including

Mako, Jonny Hill, Aki, VDM and Daly although I understand his reasoning given he covers 3 positions..

It's mad he's ignoring Ryan, Stander and especially Navidi who is a genuine in form blindside. I guess Gatland intends playing Beirne, Itoje or Lawes at 6?? Curry at 6 and Watson at 7 would be too lightweight, although that never stopped Neil Back.

I fully expect a 3-0 drubbing.

Gatland has really stirred things up with this selection and I'm at a loss for him including

Mako, Jonny Hill, Aki, VDM and Daly although I understand his reasoning given he covers 3 positions..

It's mad he's ignoring Ryan, Stander and especially Navidi who is a genuine in form blindside. I guess Gatland intends playing Beirne, Itoje or Lawes at 6?? Curry at 6 and Watson at 7 would be too lightweight, although that never stopped Neil Back.

I think its a possibility either way, you can talk about lightweight but both are incredibly powerful individuals, they get off the line fast making it harder to cross the gainline, and the power to win the collision. Size isnt everything as BV shows, its just as much about power at this level
Power = Mass * velocity too, and those boys are quick enough to make up for it. He'll probably try dual opensides and 3 Second rows at times in warm ups to see which functions better

Maybe Lawes is the 37th man

Faletau could be another 6 option if they start simmonds, and Curry at 6 has to be considered.
I'd imagine so, yeah. On his selection page he was listed as a centre and if he's in there as a back three then it's 7 back threes, 3 centres and 3 fly halves which doesn't really seem right.
or he is just there to sit in the bench.
Thought JD2 played well with North

speaking of North anyone else reckon Aki got the call up cause he was first down in the call book of International 13's when Gatland looked for a last minute replacement
no. Remember teo? If tuilagi and north was unavailable or carrying an injury aki was always going to go.

Not surprised by Daly. When I was constructing my, admittedly poor, prediction of the squad I immediately and Ahhed a lot about whether to include Daly because there is very little versatility in the squad, farrell being the only other one who can legitimately play in a different position group (groups being 9, 10, midfield, outside backs).

a bit surprised they've gone with 6 outside backs plus Daly, but I suppose that's partly because the chosen fullbacks don't really play wing.

and to the point of the person who asked whether anyone who missed out would have been in their chosen 23, gatland will be picking firstly on the philosophy of who will be in his 22.

he will have picked a few options for what the top 23 will look like, based on combinations, not necessarily the best players. Then gone through and said 'what if this player gets injured'

For instance:

I need at least one midfielder who can make gainline advantage.

At a minimum I'll pick Henshaw.

I'm not sure if that's enough, but also what if Henshaw gets injured.

I need aki.

He'll probably prefer Henshaw and Harris or farrell and Henshaw for the first test.

I feel doubtful that he'll pick russel and farrell as both starters, more likely either biggar farrell Henshaw or Russell Henshaw Harris

A lot of people including myself picking tipuric wouldn't go. Nobody really got close to what the chosen back row was. But I think part of it a, again, a balance thing. As soon as you make one decision it had ramifications for other decisions.

I find it interesting that he picked all of simmonds Conan and faletau. Either he sees faletau as a string 6 option or he wants to have one bulky ball runner starting and one on the bench, so has picked three in case one gets injured.

faletau is not too bad in the lineout, am I right? I think tipuric is in because gatland is either thinking of going for a bulkier 6, or he wants to have another lineout option - eg he could go Curry tipuric simmonds.

alternately beirne watson faletau

Latest posts